Add rock, paper, scissors as new chance determination

Naru

Short description: Add rock, paper, scissors as new chance determination.

Detailed description: When 2 characters get into a fight or something what requires one of them to win, add a new chance determination one character invites the other one to, to decide who wins the action.

For example:
* Person 1 grabs Person 2 by the neck and tries to pull them towards the trunk.
* Person 2 places their hand on Person 1's arm and tries to get themself free from their grip.

/rockpaperscissors Person 1

/rockpaperscissors accept

* Person 1 drew rock, Person 2 drew paper, Person 2 wins.

* Person 2 manages to get themself loose from their grib and does an action in return.

etc...

Commands to add: /rockpaperscissors

Items to add: None

How would your suggestion improve the server? Lowers the chance on powergaming, adding fair played battles.

Additional information:

11 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

No. You don't need RNG in roleplay.

I don't think anyone ever used /flipcoin or /dice for determining RP between 2017-2018.

It must be a fairly new thing because I see almost everyone doing it. Might just be this current generation of players that joined the past few years. Either way I'm not against this suggestion. 

Kaz summed it up short and sweet. You don't need an RNG command to roleplay squabbles, while there are times when you may choose to leave something up to chance, fighting isn't it, /roll and /flipcoin works perfectly fine for those occasions and having a rock paper scissors command serves little to no purpose with those already available.

4 minutes ago, Viscaria said:

Kaz summed it up short and sweet. You don't need an RNG command to roleplay squabbles, while there are times when you may choose to leave something up to chance, fighting isn't it, /roll and /flipcoin works perfectly fine for those occasions and having a rock paper scissors command serves little to no purpose with those already available.

While it is indeed correct such a command is not necessarily needed, it can be useful in many situations.

Fights have explicit script support to determine who comes out on the upper end, car races do, some other stuff like soccer, but many other possible scenarios in which characters might compare skills or effort don't.

In these situations it is not so much about chance: Let's take two characters arm wrestling as example.

Chances are that one will eventually topple the other, however server preset leaves us with no way to define one party as potentially stronger (assuming both parties play equally fit characters that don't back off).

Unless the arm wrestling escalates in a brawl, it's such impossible to ever determine a winner unless one party effectively decides to lose- by rules of powergaming, either party is entitled to resists forever (or exactly as long as the other party roleplays pushing in force before getting tired- you get me).

And here is where such rng tools come in really handy:

As Heath Ledger stated, a coin might be chaotic, but fair- and condemning a "play-to-win"-attitude won't make relying on a play-to-lose-attitude a more fruitful strategy on the broad scale.

In some cases we might have a constellation where the character design and players' approach will determine the outcome without an element of chance (i.e. Carry arm wrestling a trained boxer with something like muscles), but in many more we'll not have such a slapstick scene but characters with halfway even physically capabilities, that both could "realistically" win such a contest.

A coin, dice roll or other chance method to determine who "wins" a situation has, if it's mutually agreed to upfront, the big advantage that it makes the loss less bothersome (also in character due to a different approach to losing): One had a fair chance, and takes the loss -at least for the time being-, which is a method that generally encourages acceptance even if "winning" a situation would have been a more desirable outcome for one's character.

Of course, storytelling works too, but it won't when both parties try to win the ic arm wrestle- that's the situation where then eventually admins have to decide whose emote was least powergamish while simultaneously giving its creator the biggest advantage ic, to ironically exaggerate it.

So much for the theory.

As for the explicit suggestion, while rock-paper-scissors would be a good enhancement in comparison to coin (as it lowers chances of a draw and lets more than 2 parties participate in a contest), I don't think it's really needed, though, we have dice to use in case we really go that far (1-3 effectively giving the same options as rock-paper-scissors if one lets the 1 beat the 3), or even further (I could simulate my character's whole skillset with d20 checks if I really meant to).

This is a good suggestion. 

You just gave a really really bad example. You should not be using RNG to decide who wins a fight. 

RPS would be a good command if you and your friend just wants to decide who will pay for gas, who will go first, or just a simple game for bored characters to play, etc. Like, I mean... Playing Rock Paper Scissors the way the game was designed. As a quick game to decide some friendly matter. As it is right now, you can play rock paper scissors RP-wise. But without an actual script, it's quite easy to cheat as there is no timer or anything.

Basically what I'm saying: This would be good if you want to RP-Wise, play rock paper scissors. NOT if you're trying to use RNG to decide the outcome of a fight, like you suggested.

Edited by ScarletRose
  • Upvote 1