To run or not to run?

useless

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but I've had this question in my mind for the longest time - to run or not to run? The point of this post is to examine whether running away while shot in vital parts should be determined as powergaming or not. I'm not supporting the idea of totally not RPing injuries, but RPing injuries after getting to safety. 

In shootouts, where things are intense, basic human instinct instruct us to run whenever we get shot and are unable to fight back effectively. The same instinct applies when we RP. In some situations, our characters may be shot in vital parts (the neck, the head, etc.) - but we control them to run anyway.

Technically, this could be categorized as powergaming - or not. I say "or not" because, while the damages show the parts where you're shot, it doesn't specify the exact location where the bullet had went. What do I mean? For example, if my damages show that I was shot in the neck, who is to determine whether it was a graze, a hit on the side of the neck, or a direct hit on the windpipe which instantly causes breathing issues from choking on blood? Yes, the amount of damage is shown, but that doesn't explain a lot. 

Back to human instincts - if we do not know how exactly the bullet affects our character, we obviously would take the chance to escape if the bullet doesn't kill us. No idiot is going to stop to RP injuries that they don't even know they have or not. 

My argument is that players shouldn't be punished for 'powergaming' when they run after getting shot in vital parts of the body. The only alternative is to stop and let the shooter shoot your character more, which obviously no one non-suicidal will do.

Discuss! 

It's perfectly fine to run. If you aren't in the downed state, then your character is clearly capable of getting away and that's it. Say you're shot twice in the legs yet you keep running, show me a rule that says you must rp it as clean shots immediately immobilizing you. There isn't one, so you might as well run and roleplay that those bullets only grazed you or whatever, as long as you don't completely disregard them after getting to safety.

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug. Or hormone.

Yeah I'm not sure if players have been punished or not before, for sustaining shots in the head and then running away. If they have then I think it's probably a little unfair; they should probably just make shots to the head a one hit kill rather than giving them the ability to still run script-wise. But unironically, Adrenaline does wonders when you're in such a life-threatening state and fighting for survival, so running away from other injuries that aren't immediately lethal shouldn't be punishable imo.

Did the headshot get you script wounded? You're dead, period.

Otherwise you can RP it as a graze.

You can generally run away if being shot at but you're expected to roleplay your injuries.

I've seen people simply wrapping a bandage over their GSW's, followed by /changechar and then go back to their business. Please for the love of god, don't do this. You'd need to go to hospital in real life and thus I'd expect you to do so in-game too.

Edited by Seanny
  • Upvote 1

Yes, running is fine. People with broken legs or an important amount of GSW IRL can still run with the adrenaline, BUT it is very short. You're not expected to be running for 10 minutes, nor to be evading / driving a vehicle like a pro driver.

3 hours ago, wizardofxyz said:

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

This is my answer. RPly if I get blasted twice in the leg, I'm going down. If I'm shot elsewhere, the adrenaline takes over. Yes, I might bleed out, but human instinct is GTFO and then once you've calmed down, it hits you like a steam train. Personally, if I shoot someone and they aren't downed, feel free to run. My only issue is when people don't RP wounds or damages and just carry as normal. If I'm unarmed and someone pulls a knife and stabs me, I'm animating going down. No point script fighting.

RP your wounds and create a good experience for others.

Yeah, running should be justified in certain situations. Fear and adrenaline take over your body which triggers flight or fight response. The body's natural reaction is to preserve and try to survive, which makes you run away from life threatening situations. 

3 minutes ago, vPaperMario said:

If I'm unarmed and someone pulls a knife and stabs me, I'm animating going down. No point script fighting.

I think it also heavily depends on how the situation is roleplayed i.e. in real life not every fight with usage of knives means you're stabbed, there's also slash wounds (which are de facto more common than just poking somebody with a knife in their chest) so I don't think it's unreasonable not to roleplay every single hit with a knife as a stab wound despite it being the only animation that gta5 has.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic