[LSNN] Interview with Undersheriff Joseph Cline

5yHwzO3.png

Y8l4IDT.png

Interview with Undersheriff Joseph Cline

BY DENNIS SIDWELL

Los Santos, SA - On 25th July 2021, the LSNN team conducted an interview with Undersheriff Joseph Cline. This is the written version of the interview which was held on air, in the LSNN studio.

O2FzrJx.png

Dennis Sidwell and Joseph Cline in the studio

Dennis Sidwell: Good evening, Undersheriff Cline! Welcome to the LSNN studio, it is a pleasure to talk to you on air.

Joseph Cline: It is a pleasure being here, Mister Sidwell.

Dennis Sidwell: We will have the opportunity to meet you both privately and professionally, but before we begin talking about serious work-related topics, can you tell us who is Joseph Cline privately? What are your hobbies?

Joseph Cline: I'm a pretty boring guy. I usually end up working from 4 AM to around 8 in the evening, so that doesn't leave a lot of time for hobbies. I like running, hiking, and spending time with my son, though.

Dennis Sidwell: The position of Undersheriff is hard to reach. What are the responsibilities of a such high-ranked position?

Joseph Cline: As Undersheriff, I am responsible for all the day-to-day operations of the Sheriff's Department. I supervise our three Assistant Sheriffs and hold them accountable for their portions of the Department, and personally oversee the Professional Standards Division - Internal Affairs and Internal Criminal Investigations.

Dennis Sidwell: Do you consider yourself easily approachable when a deputy faces an issue in the Department, or you would rather them to follow the chain of command?

Joseph Cline: We keep an open door policy in the Department, but in a paramilitary organization like the Sheriff's Department, chain of command needs to be respected. If we personally take action without consulting our subordinates, we cut them out of the decision-making process and undermine their authority.

Dennis Sidwell: The LSNN has conducted a research recently, and the results have shown that the citizens of San Andreas trust the LSSD when it comes to helping and protecting their well-being. Furthermore, I've always had positive experiences with the deputies. l believe this indicates that the recruitment standards are quite high. What does it take for one individual to become a part of the LSSD?

Joseph Cline: Well! The secret's right in front of your eyes. On the doors of our radio cars. A Tradition of Service Since 1850. That's not just a catchy motto to throw on a decal, it's the tradition that's been passed down this Department for 171 years. We look for the best of the best, the creme de la creme, if you will. Our backgrounds process is one of the most stringent in the state, if not the country. And then our academy is grueling. By the time we put badges on them and swear them in, we've winnowed out everyone but the best. It's just what we do.

Dennis Sidwell: Your department is overseeing the Twin Towers Correctional Facility too. What are your expectations when it comes to the facility? Let's talk about punishment versus rehabilitation. 

Joseph Cline: Towers is the largest correctional facility in the county, so a lot of our budget goes into maintaining it. Rehabilitation is obviously our goal. We would love it if we could just change people, educate them, and make them not recidivize. Naturally that's not always the case. But we have programs where inmates can become trustees, provided they maintain a good disciplinary history, and through that do various activities to help upkeep the facility and provide experience for life skills. But accountability is a big part, too. We don't let inmates run our jail. We run our jail. That's the formula to send people out on a better foot. Teach them and hold them accountable.

Dennis Sidwell: The LSSD is consisted of many divisions. What division you come from, Mister Cline? Can you say, "this Division made me"?

Joseph Cline: Patrol. That's been my bread and butter throughout my whole career. I worked as a patrol deputy, a training officer. When I got promoted to Sergeant, I was a field supervisor. And I was a watch commander as a Lieutenant. I spent the most of my past five or six years at Paleto Bay Station. I consider that my home station, and the place that built me into the leader I am today.

Dennis Sidwell: I would like to chime in with a personal experience here. I would like to talk about my trust in the LSSD deputies as a citizen. Earlier today, I was riding my motorcycle, when a deputy flagged my attention about not wearing a helmet. Now, why do I tell this? His approach, the way he spoke to me, it was friendly, respectful and it taught me a great lesson. He explained to me what are the dangers of not wearing a helmet and took the teaching approach, instead of issuing a ticket. I'm not saying that I have something against tickets, tickets are necessary, however, what I want to point out is that I left that traffic stop with no bad feelings towards him, or the department. I just want to applaud your professional standards. Furthermore, the LSNN has witnessed a couple of events organized by the LSSD, to mention two specifically, one in Davis, the other one in Paleto Bay, both charity events. It shows that you care about the citizens. I suppose that's the norm in the LSSD, Undersheriff Cline? To be there for the citizens, with upmost care.

Joseph Cline: It is. I will return to what I said earlier - it's a tradition of service. Like your example with the helmet infraction. We can give tickets. We do give tickets. But no matter what we do, the goal stays the same. To get you to put that helmet on. Not just because it's the law, but because it's the best way to keep you from being seriously injured or killed in a collision. I would like to think the majority of my deputies think with that same way. It's certainly what I expect of them.

Dennis Sidwell: You're a well-known public figure, Mister Cline. What is, in your opinion, the biggest issue in San Andreas currently?

Joseph Cline: Gun crime. While it's better now than it was, for instance, a month or two ago, that's our primary concern. Drive-by shootings, non-drive-by shootings, you name it. Guns just make crime worse.

Dennis Sidwell: I don't know if you like to talk politics, but what's your opinion on the Organized Crime Control Act of 2021? To elaborate - An Act designed to combat organized crime in the State of San Andreas. It allows prosecution and civil penalties for racketeering activity and criminal profiteering performed as part of an ongoing criminal enterprise. Such activities may include illegal gambling, bribery, kidnapping, murder, money laundering, counterfeiting, embezzlement, drug trafficking, and a host of other unsavory business practises. This act was introduced by President Pro Tempore of the Senate, Republican Frank Ernst and Democratic Senator Diana Jones as a joint activity.

Joseph Cline: At face value, those are all good things. I won't lie to you, I haven't read the bill in-depth enough to provide my opinion. But I have a pretty standard method for considering these bills. While obviously crime is bad, we need to make sure it respects our constitutional rights and doesn't give the government too much power. Our job as police officers is to enforce the law, within the limits of the constitution. It's the foundation of our whole country. 

Dennis Sidwell: As a high-ranked law enforcement official, what can, in your opinion, be done in San Andreas, in order to fight gang related activity?

Joseph Cline: Our Operation Safe Streets Bureau is out there every day and every night combating and discouraging gang activity. As to their strategies, I don't want to diverge much on that as it could compromise their operations. But I'm satisfied with their work and we're going to continue focusing on that under my administration.

Dennis Sidwell: One of our journalists, Phoebe Holter, has published an article today about LSSD Operation Safe Streets Bureau. She spent a day in the field with them, and she has learned a lot. To quote Detective Jonathan Medina - "My old boss used to say, combating gang violence is like punching water. No matter how hard you hit, you'll never make a dent. But when you go out there and see innocent people, kids too, get hit with 7.62mm bullets, that's more than enough reason to get myself out of bed." Detective Andrew Massey said: "You have your parents, your friends telling you to not trust the police. Of course you are going to follow, it's natural. These people have been forgotten in these areas." LSSD OSS visibly works hard on combating gang crime, but it goes deeper than that. It's a bigger problem than a couple of young individuals on several streets. What can be done to successfully direct the youth in another, healthy direction? Instead of turning to crime for fast money from young age, to go to school, to get a job and so on. Does the LSSD plan events to teach the youth to stick to the right path in life?

Joseph Cline: Well, Mr. Sidwell, gang violence is a truly terrible thing. Even back when I was a Captain, I saw the consequences first hand. I can't tell you how many times I'd roll out from the station to a drive-by shooting where young, innocent people had been shot dead. It impacts you, it truly does. And Detective Massey's observations are right. These people don't trust the police. The only thing we can do is get out there and prove the stereotype wrong. Get out there and prove that while we aren't going to let you run amock, we will do everything we can to keep you safe. Our OSS team does a great job balancing being stern and being "cool" - and it's why their strategy works so well. As for any specific events to educate the youth, I'd have to defer that to them. I welcome liaison with our community leaders in clergy and business to try and push these kids onto a better path. The life of a gang banger isn't luxurious or flashy, like in the rap lyrics. It's dangerous, unlawful, and there's no real retirement. Our job has to be to get out there and show these kids that there's more to life than joining up a gang. You can break the chain. You don't have to do the same thing your parents did, you know? But to answer your question - we will definitely invest time into that.

Dennis Sidwell: What is your view on firearms acessibility and open carry in San Andreas?

Joseph Cline: I'm a supporter of the second amendment. Always have been and always will be. That being said, I think open carry in an urban environment can lead to more violence. So I'm fine with the status quo on that. Open carry in rural areas, concealed carry inside the city of Los Santos. 

Dennis Sidwell: What will be the first change, if any, you take once you become the next Sheriff of the LSSD? 

Joseph Cline: I still haven't thought about that, to be honest. I'm still a bit shell shocked that it's even happening. Sheriff Washington has done a great job cleaning house and rectifying the errors of previous administrations.

Dennis Sidwell: Well, allow me to early-congratuate you! Perhaps I'm the first one!?

Joseph Cline: I plan to continue his mission and lead in his shadow. A few of my deputies have personally, but I think you're the first member of the public! Thank you.

Dennis Sidwell: I'd like to use this opportunity to express that, as a citizen, I'm very satisfied with the way Sheriff Washington has led the Department. I look forward to what you bring to the table.

Joseph Cline: I'm excited to jump into the role. It's the challenge of a lifetime. And while I have you here, on air, I'd like to announce something. After about ten years of being closed down, just Friday we concluded negotiations to reopen our Davis Sheriff's Station in the Davis community. We're already working on getting the building geared up and putting all the necessary equipment in place, but we plan to have that station open in this quarter. This will be a state of the art sheriff's station, and will let us deploy more to the areas that need us most.

Dennis Sidwell: What motivated you to get into law enforcement career, and if you weren't in law enforcement, what would've you worked as?

Joseph Cline: Well, first - it's a bit of a personal story but I'll spare you all of the boring details. I was in college. Working towards a business degree, when my son was born. All of a sudden, we needed money. And decent money at that. So I applied for the Sheriff's Department. Twenty-five years later and I'm about to become the Sheriff.  As for what I'd do otherwise? I'd like to think I'm an entrepreneur. I'd find some way to make an impact on the community, even if not in law enforcement. 

Dennis Sidwell: Joseph, it has been a pleasure talking to you on air. Thank you for coming to the LSNN studio tonight. 

Joseph Cline: Thank you for having me.

Y8l4IDT.png

2OyH6Zd.png

> Comments are enabled

Username: 

Comment:

• Upvote 1

Username: Alykat

Comment: Jeeze Dennis why don't you just get on your knees and blow him for his money like you make your workers do for you. It'll save you some time and the public embarrassment of these articles.

I'd so love to see this "research" you did that says people trust the LSSD. Because jesus fuck I have met some people who fear them more than the gangs on the streets of LS.

Username: meanjeans41
Comment: congrats to the undersheriff soon to be sheriff i suppose. idk how to reply using this website, maybe im stupid! but above comment talks about people trusting the LSSD, i think ppl trust them to actually do their job more than people trust the PD. the PD has some good eggs but theyre few n far between. jesus christ when u put them up to the SD its not even a comparison. i mean do we not remember that hostage situation down mission row some while ago? PD swat or something went in guns blazing n all of them died i think. ended up having to be handed over to the SD they were so incompetent. a lot of people fear the SD with good reason! they dont fuck around