[LSNN] The dangers of being a taxi driver in Los Santos

5yHwzO3.png

The dangers of being a taxi driver in Los Santos

While being a taxi driver at first may seem to be nothing more than a courier's job, with the exception that the cargo is slightly more valuable, it in fact remains one of the more dangerous civil jobs this city has to offer. 

Xk8Kfc7.png

By SEBASTIAN REYNOLDS

Generally speaking, taxis in Los Santos are slowly becoming more and more outdated, with day-to-day situations for young adults in favor of rentals and cheap vehicles. Nevertheless, it remains a very useful tool in specific situations, such as a drinking night out, after which driving would be plainly illegal.

It's no secret that our city is seeing fewer and fewer taxi drivers as time goes on, but the answer to this may be buried deeper than just calling taxis outdated and old-fashioned, and to some, especially the people in the taxi business, it's no secret that being a taxi driver puts you in significant danger compared to any other transporting job.  

There are two types of robberies that can be done, and the obvious way is by customers simply refusing to pay and running out of the taxi like hell with the hope that they won't get caught. Luckily for the police department, a lot of these customers are also stupid enough to give their phone number directly as they call for the taxi. On the other side of things, not a lot of jobs can give a person with bad intentions an opportunity to go face to face with another person in a tightly closed space, at any location they desire. That is exactly why it's such a dangerous job and has been a problem for a very long time and unfortunately, not a lot of attention has gone to this. 

I decided to scavenge for someone with more experience on this topic than myself, so I was playing the waiting game as I was being driven from one side of LS to the other. My first fare was a gentleman who wasn't indirectly robbed, however mentioned that most of his money goes to the company and is, in a way, a robbery.

I expected it to be a long journey before I find someone with real experience, however, already second fare in I met up with two driver friends who've been through both types of taxi robberies.

"I don't have much experience with robberies, but I've had people walk out on fares. I guess that's an indirect robbery. Driver here was driving through Blaine County and ended up getting attacked by two skinheads."

"There's that "I want to go to Paleto" gimmick." — "Yeah, folks will make you drive out towards Sandy or Paleto and hold you at gunpoint on the way there."

"Yeah, it stopped me from doing those fares. Rather be robbed in LS." 

"Gotta keep your cab locked because people will just try to hop in it when you're parked."

"Had two Europeans trying to force their way into my cab last night near Legion."

"Not only do we get robbed, but these taxis generally do not function well."

While sometimes it's easy to find the suspect because they leave their phone number, some are smart enough to use either burner phones or old telephone booths, therefore, taxi drivers should never rely on that information and should be encouraged to at least have a camera filming the entirety of the car's interior and at all times be avoiding masked individuals. At the same time, they should be extremely vary of rides to remote locations.

Next time you find yourself using their service, remember to leave a tip to support our drivers!

2OyH6Zd.png

> Comments are enabled

Username: 

Comment:

• Upvote 3