Davis High School rp

blast

2 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Nevermind that all it would take is one bad faith streamer starting their stream with...

"Hey, what's up chat, it ya' boi Killer-X-stream, and today we're going to play the School Shooter simulator GTAW, and see just how many kids we can kill before the admins have had their fill..."

And then it is on the news, kids being killed in virtual school hallways "for fun" and "Oh, why would Rockstar allow this?" and so on...

This is not a good line to be skirting with the current community and the already extreme crime rate.

this argument is based on 

1. text RP being popular enough in streaming to gain outside traction from people who don't already interact with RP circles

2. the streamer being popular enough to gain enough of a following that would elicit "national news coverage" or even "mainstream" game journalist coverage

3. that the people watching have an inability to see that the person doing this is clearly breaking rules or doing it to be edgy

4. that the streamer would have to get a gun in the first place and start shooting at this specific spot, and keep reminding his audience that it's a high school since he'd just be shooting a bunch of adult GTAO models anyways

there's gonna be stupid people like with any new RP idea or idea they don't like and people trying to bend the rules, but arguing to shut down a potential avenue of roleplay on the off-chance that a streamer MIGHT stream themselves shooting up a high school and MIGHT have enough viewers that MIGHT get it news coverage is silly - the actual biggest issue with running the school would be scheduling and maintaining consistent activity with it, since unlike universities, high school requires some form of mandatory attendance.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Rog Fulace said:

1. text RP being popular enough in streaming to gain outside traction from people who don't already interact with RP circles

The source doesn't have to be popular for the result to be controversial. Some small research lab can be wildly invisible to the public eye and still become infamous when people even begin to think that it may possibly be the source of some horrendous event. Serial killers don't get a pass on jail just because nobody knew them either.

It's not the streamer of text roleplay that needs to be famous at the start. It's entirely possible for something to become known for something they've done.

I'd rather we not become known for making school shootings possible in an environment that was deliberately fashioned by the game designers to be impossible from the get-go.

6 minutes ago, Rog Fulace said:

2. the streamer being popular enough to gain enough of a following that would elicit "national news coverage" or even "mainstream" game journalist coverage

Literally just one YouTube video labeled "SCHOOL SHOOTER SIMULATION" and a misclick away from it spreading like fire through Discord channels. 

8 minutes ago, Rog Fulace said:

3. that the people watching have an inability to see that the person doing this is clearly breaking rules or doing it to be edgy

They won't even care. It shouldn't have been possible to begin with.

9 minutes ago, Rog Fulace said:

4. that the streamer would have to get a gun in the first place and start shooting at this specific spot, and keep reminding his audience that it's a high school since he'd just be shooting a bunch of adult GTAO models anyways

Getting a gun in the current environment isn't hard. Having to apologise during two of the three muggings a night because I literally don't have anything left to be stolen, it's no wonder I'm getting offers of guns in exchange for services on my criminal character more often than actual cash or commitments. We've certainly established the logistics needed to make a crime like a school shooting much easier to supply.

14 minutes ago, Rog Fulace said:

but arguing to shut down a potential avenue of roleplay ...

As I've said before, the only avenue of roleplay I want to shut down is school shootings. 

14 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

As I've said before, the only avenue of roleplay I want to shut down is school shootings. 

seems like admins are capable of doing that, not exactly a school but there was a ulsa shooting where the shooter got jailed/banned and i assume the admins voided/revived where necessary

hubba and his friends used to have dm videos/compilations but i don't recall them trending massively

1 hour ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Seems like you're exaggerating the problem. A comparable number of shootings and massacres took place at colleges and universities yet nothing like this has happened here at ULSA. A strict ruleset that gun violence is not allowed on premises and in the surrounding area of the high school would suffice.

Someone tried and it got shut down hard.

19 minutes ago, shaobadman said:

hubba and his friends used to have dm videos/compilations but i don't recall them trending massively

For much the same reason there wasn't much outcry when Indiana Jones and his (then unknown) son led communist spies on a high speed shootout through a college campus, or why it was okay for a transformer to blast a hole through the side of a college campus library and initiate a combat engagement that could have easily been mistaken for a three block A-10 gunrun on local insurgents - the oomf of the tragedy diminishes as the targets become older. It's why Rockstar wasn't as bothered by putting the college campus in, and why we don't flinch as much when Sammy Maskmook gets his face imploded by Jason Statham in twelve different languages.

19 minutes ago, shaobadman said:

there was a ulsa shooting where the shooter got jailed/banned and i assume the admins voided/revived where necessary

We can't even let it get to the point where a shooting is physically possible in any capacity. Guns simply can not be functional on or against the school campus in any form.

Edited by DasFroggy
1 hour ago, DasFroggy said:

For the same reason they're allowed in films, literature, video games, and the GTAV singleplayer campaign - those themes typically involve adults, and usually only provoke a sharp public response when said adult themes start involving participants younger than adults.

Probably because it's a difference of visuals. Someone one typing "/me exploits the child" and getting only a text representation can't really compare to the very real sight of someone pulling out a gun, and visibly shooting children in a visibly school-like environment until said children are visibly no longer alive.

It's like the difference between someone telling you about a shooting, versus being there at the shooting in person. Obviously one is going to provoke more of an emotional response compared to the other.

As long as it's hard-coded that guns cannot exist or be used against the campus, we should be fine. It does create a host of numerous other issues, but at least we could get by knowing that some edgy teen streamer isn't getting national publicity for revealing what people will inevitably use as an excuse to revive wildly untrue rumors about games being solely responsible for violent behavior.

I'm sorry are you insinuating that visual representation and simulation of sexually explicit content with a child is not exploitation, nor would have negative effects on the child? That is pretty suspicious 

1 minute ago, Midwest said:

I'm sorry are you insinuating that visual representation and simulation of sexually explicit content with a child is not exploitation, nor would have negative effects on the child? That is pretty suspicious 

Would you also like to assume that my appreciation for the color green means I'm secretly a martian terrorist that cannot peacefully tolerate ramen noodles not coming with packets filled with angry bees?

That's not even remotely close to anything I stated. 

The difference is that sexual activity, distinctly the process through which it occurs here on the server, is a text medium. At most you have animations that require elaboration as to their underage nature. Beyond that the graphic nature can only be made serious through a considerable amount of mods and effort on the part of the one witness at the time. That's easy enough to shrug off and say that the Streamer is responsible for the elements at play.

...whereas if we officially have staff construct a school environment, and despite repeated warnings, choose to allow gun violence against children in such a way that no text is needed or even possible during the carnage, that is MUCH harder to talk away. 

It's interesting that you are trying to justify allowing gin violence against children, by comparing often text-exclusive descriptors as somehow equal to a live feed of children being visibly shot and killed. That you want it is a degree moreso suspicious.

13 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Would you also like to assume that my appreciation for the color green means I'm secretly a martian terrorist that cannot peacefully tolerate ramen noodles not coming with packets filled with angry bees?

That's not even remotely close to anything I stated. 

The difference is that sexual activity, distinctly the process through which it occurs here on the server, is a text medium. At most you have animations that require elaboration as to their underage nature. Beyond that the graphic nature can only be made serious through a considerable amount of mods and effort on the part of the one witness at the time. That's easy enough to shrug off and say that the Streamer is responsible for the elements at play.

...whereas if we officially have staff construct a school environment, and despite repeated warnings, choose to allow gun violence against children in such a way that no text is needed or even possible during the carnage, that is MUCH harder to talk away. 

It's interesting that you are trying to justify allowing gin violence against children, by comparing often text-exclusive descriptors as somehow equal to a live feed of children being visibly shot and killed. That you want it is a degree moreso suspicious.

Are you a martian terrorist? Me? I am from Akalzio 9, though I work for the solar system government. I'm pretty sure the mental impact from simulated sexual activities would be much higher than basically being dmed which happens all the time, and gun violence happens all the time among HS aged people on the server, why is this not an issue? 

• Wuhtah locked this topic