Jump to content

Davis High School rp


blast

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

 

 

Nevermind that all it would take is one bad faith streamer starting their stream with...

 

"Hey, what's up chat, it ya' boi Killer-X-stream, and today we're going to play the School Shooter simulator GTAW, and see just how many kids we can kill before the admins have had their fill..."

 

And then it is on the news, kids being killed in virtual school hallways "for fun" and "Oh, why would Rockstar allow this?" and so on...

 

This is not a good line to be skirting with the current community and the already extreme crime rate.

I see what you’re saying, but it’s literally as simple as prohibiting murder/shootings on campus, similar  to the rules ULSA or Davis Mall have. 

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, voucher said:

I see what you’re saying, but it’s literally as simple as prohibiting murder/shootings on campus, similar  to the rules ULSA or Davis Mall have. 

 

Unless it's hard-coded in that no guns can be used at all when on or near (enough to shoot at) school grounds, someone will find a means to make the risk of massive controversy a reality, and they'll be rewarded for it too.

 

What roleplayers want isn't what they're going to get, as the only possible version would be some PG-13 scenery with rules, or a nigh guaranteed countdown between here and a Rockstar C&D for hitting international news.

 

You cannot begin to comprehend how sensitive a topic school violence is. It's a beserk button for all reaches of the political spectrum, and that's not even touching on how hard it was to snuff the "video games are school shooting simulators, and are responsible for all violent crime" strawman nonsense less than seven or so years ago.

 

I'm not keen on popping the lid on this pythos anytime soon. We should focus on the community center instead, as we actually have one that is apparently already mapped and good to go.

Link to comment
16 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

 

Unless it's hard-coded in that no guns can be used at all when on or near (enough to shoot at) school grounds, someone will find a means to make the risk of massive controversy a reality, and they'll be rewarded for it too.

 

What roleplayers want isn't what they're going to get, as the only possible version would be some PG-13 scenery with rules, or a nigh guaranteed countdown between here and a Rockstar C&D for hitting international news.

 

You cannot begin to comprehend how sensitive a topic school violence is. It's a beserk button for all reaches of the political spectrum, and that's not even touching on how hard it was to snuff the "video games are school shooting simulators, and are responsible for all violent crime" strawman nonsense less than seven or so years ago.

 

I'm not keen on popping the lid on this pythos anytime soon. We should focus on the community center instead, as we actually have one that is apparently already mapped and good to go.

Seems like you're exaggerating the problem. A comparable number of shootings and massacres took place at colleges and universities yet nothing like this has happened here at ULSA. A strict ruleset that gun violence is not allowed on premises and in the surrounding area of the high school would suffice.

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

 

Unless it's hard-coded in that no guns can be used at all when on or near (enough to shoot at) school grounds, someone will find a means to make the risk of massive controversy a reality, and they'll be rewarded for it too.

 

What roleplayers want isn't what they're going to get, as the only possible version would be some PG-13 scenery with rules, or a nigh guaranteed countdown between here and a Rockstar C&D for hitting international news.

 

You cannot begin to comprehend how sensitive a topic school violence is. It's a beserk button for all reaches of the political spectrum, and that's not even touching on how hard it was to snuff the "video games are school shooting simulators, and are responsible for all violent crime" strawman nonsense less than seven or so years ago.

 

I'm not keen on popping the lid on this pythos anytime soon. We should focus on the community center instead, as we actually have one that is apparently already mapped and good to go.

Respectfully, this is just whataboutism. It’s just as easy as making a rule about shootings on campus. This has been done in other communities before and we currently have ULSA which can just as easily have the same thing apply, like how I don’t wanna od in la said. ULSA can just as easily in theory be used to replicate the Virginia Tech Shooting or some other college massacre. We can’t base decisions as a community off of “what if” scenarios regarding rule breaking. I could see the community center being used instead of a completely new high school. But honestly, something like that is needed in south central. Like someone else wrote, there’s a lack of businesses and things to do in SC besides posting up on a block all day or going to a convince store. A high school would greatly contribute to the vibe and will help hood RP flourish if the right people are involved.  
 

 

 

Link to comment
22 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Seems like you're exaggerating a problem. A comparable number of shootings and massacres took place at colleges and universities yet nothing like this has happened here in ULSA. A strict ruleset that gun violence is not allowed on promises and in the surrounding area of the high school would suffice.

 

Seems like you're missing the forest for the trees. Rules won't fix someone both intentionally and carefully breaking those rules, and rules can't reverse time or stream views. All it takes is just one incident of someone gunning down five or so kids in a school environment, and that's it. We won't be able to pack it away or hide it, and a ban won't convince people that a school shooting simulation didn't just happen.

 

That it was even made possible, that we willingly ripped through the very obstacles and barriers Rockstar erected to prevent exactly such an incident from happening, will be enough for internet sensationalism to run for miles. 

 

As for the college campus, I'm not sure what sort of cold calculus goes into making that less of a target, but I'd wager that the biggest counter to such mass shootings ingame, is the distinct scarcity of targets and the attention the Campus already has from law enforcement. Rockstar themselves fixed that entirely by outright making the campus devoid of life in both multiplayer and singleplayer.

 

10 minutes ago, voucher said:

ULSA can just as easily in theory be used to replicate the Virginia Tech Shooting or some other college massacre.

 

They could try, but with a college, it just hits different. University campus layouts tend to be safer, and the people at these locations are more informed as to how to react when such a situation occurs, whereas at a secondary/high school, you've got layouts that tend to make shooter situations more dangerous in comparison. It doesn't help that a younger age demographic being victims of violence, tends to provoke a much more significant emotional response. I personally feel equal anguish from both sorts of violence, but I'm not going to pretend the general public doesn't get a few notches more upset for each year less the victims have lived before being killed.

 

It's why Rockstar went to such lengths to avoid it. It's why you won't find such a school in the GTAV map anywhere, and it's why Rockstar will probably have a bit to say on the matter if they find out that we're considering bypassing their efforts in such a way that makes it possible.

 

It's not worth the risk.  Either we hard code violence out of the school, or we don't have the school.

 

Edited by DasFroggy
Link to comment

If it's not worth the risk why are tortures and ERP allowed? I'm pretty sure you're just trying to stir things up because "iLlEgAl CoMmUnItY CaNnOt Be TrUsTeD".

With your approach, all of the violence in roleplay should be prohibited since it can be potentially used against the server. Same with drug roleplay, just imagine those headlines, right? You're wrong.

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

 

Unless it's hard-coded in that no guns can be used at all when on or near (enough to shoot at) school grounds, someone will find a means to make the risk of massive controversy a reality, and they'll be rewarded for it too.

 

What roleplayers want isn't what they're going to get, as the only possible version would be some PG-13 scenery with rules, or a nigh guaranteed countdown between here and a Rockstar C&D for hitting international news.

 

You cannot begin to comprehend how sensitive a topic school violence is. It's a beserk button for all reaches of the political spectrum, and that's not even touching on how hard it was to snuff the "video games are school shooting simulators, and are responsible for all violent crime" strawman nonsense less than seven or so years ago.

 

I'm not keen on popping the lid on this pythos anytime soon. We should focus on the community center instead, as we actually have one that is apparently already mapped and good to go.

this is very low on the list of possible problems that need to be tackled all together. Also, Rockstar wouldn't C&D over school shooter rp, I mean, GTA RP in itself is literally a hotbed for child exploitation yet no ones gotten C&D'd over platforms supporting its conduct.

Link to comment

A High School in Davis could be perfectly functional with OOC restrictions against gun violence and IC disincentivization of crime. Metal detectors, security and the like to heavily discourage melee weapon use. Legal punishment and school consequences (namely, expulsion for repeat offenders) would discourage it just becoming an open center of crime for those who don't truly want to roleplay in a school environment. Media attention from school violence seems like paranoia more than anything, especially considering the amount of violence regularly occurring against minors ingame.

Link to comment
33 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

If it's not worth the risk why are tortures and ERP allowed?

 

For the same reason they're allowed in films, literature, video games, and the GTAV singleplayer campaign - those themes typically involve adults, and usually only provoke a sharp public response when said adult themes start involving participants younger than adults.

 

28 minutes ago, Midwest said:

GTA RP in itself is literally a hotbed for child exploitation yet no ones gotten C&D'd over platforms supporting its conduct.

 

Probably because it's a difference of visuals. Someone one typing "/me exploits the child" and getting only a text representation can't really compare to the very real sight of someone pulling out a gun, and visibly shooting children in a visibly school-like environment until said children are visibly no longer alive.

 

It's like the difference between someone telling you about a shooting, versus being there at the shooting in person. Obviously one is going to provoke more of an emotional response compared to the other.

 

23 minutes ago, Quaaludes said:

A High School in Davis could be perfectly functional with OOC restrictions against gun violence

 

As long as it's hard-coded that guns cannot exist or be used against the campus, we should be fine. It does create a host of numerous other issues, but at least we could get by knowing that some edgy teen streamer isn't getting national publicity for revealing what people will inevitably use as an excuse to revive wildly untrue rumors about games being solely responsible for violent behavior.

Edited by DasFroggy
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Seems like you're exaggerating the problem. A comparable number of shootings and massacres took place at colleges and universities yet nothing like this has happened here at ULSA. A strict ruleset that gun violence is not allowed on premises and in the surrounding area of the high school would suffice.

 

24 minutes ago, voucher said:

Respectfully, this is just whataboutism. It’s just as easy as making a rule about shootings on campus. This has been done in other communities before and we currently have ULSA which can just as easily have the same thing apply, like how I don’t wanna od in la said. ULSA can just as easily in theory be used to replicate the Virginia Tech Shooting or some other college massacre. We can’t base decisions as a community off of “what if” scenarios regarding rule breaking. I could see the community center being used instead of a completely new high school. But honestly, something like that is needed in south central. Like someone else wrote, there’s a lack of businesses and things to do in SC besides posting up on a block all day or going to a convince store. A high school would greatly contribute to the vibe and will help hood RP flourish if the right people are involved.  
 

 

 

 

 

I agree with both of you, but I can sort of see @DasFroggy's view too. I'm seeing a lot of bans and jails being issued to people who are "not here to roleplay", so there will likely be shootings happening on campus or this school too, when we least expect it. Chances are these players don't know the map well enough or they don't know that ULSA is sometimes pretty active.

 

A lot of rulebreakers seem to slip through the cracks of the application process. There could be many rules on the server, and a lot of them do work, but realistically there's nothing stopping someone with a shotgun (I've been robbed way too many times by new players with shotguns) from entering an educational institute and shooting people up.

Link to comment
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
  • Create New...