Middle aged/older characters?

shaobadman

My first character was 56 years old, and while I enjoyed the dynamic for a while, and there was a good chunk of others in the same fields (I was roleplaying in legal factions involving District Attorney's Office and often worked with the government), so it was actually quite fun to talk about our children and share pictures to determine whose child was cuter while enjoying a whiskey. Those opportunities were however somewhat limited, and after the first time they got a bit old.

I think to have a successful older character where you always have roleplay, you'd need a family for the character to roleplay with. My current oldest character has a daughter and is a trucker, and I quite enjoy the dynamic of roleplaying a trucker who have worked in the field for over 30 years with strong opinions about what it means to be a trucker, who is then able to just go home to his daughter after a long day.

• Thanks 1

I am probably one of the older RPers on the server, but one of the reasons I RP is for escapism from the drama of IRL. My main character is 27, with quite an extensive backstory which fits his age. 

The majority of the RP on the server comes from social situations that I feel would make it a little bit more awkward to play an older/middle aged character. However - that's doesn't mean that it can't be done, it especially works well within legal and illegal factions to have older characters.

But at the end of the day (I hate that saying) RP should be about having fun, and it's the only way people Will continue to play. 

I know quite a few characters who are 35 + and are great characters that fit in the world around them no problems. But saying this they are mostly men. The women I've seen RP as 30+ feel the need to put things like she still looks good in their attributes which is a whole other issue 😒 My character is in her twenties because as a newbie roleplayer I thought Gloria being closer to my real age would be easier to roleplay realistically. 

I've also seen a elderly couple who were great in Red Piano. They had a good scene going.

4 hours ago, eTaylor said:

I also don’t get the obscure idea of penalizing people based on what they want to roleplay.

I may have completely missed this part of the topic, this already exists on the server in other instances but it hasn't existed for age in a while if I remember correctly. 

3 hours ago, Taina said:

I'm not sure where so many of you seem to be getting this idea that there are hardly any middle-aged characters on the server 😂 

It's anecdotal, that'd be why the thread is posed as a question.

3 hours ago, LICE said:

Be da change you wanna see

The characters in question already exist and have done since 2018, I think I'd have to ease them back in or make a group like that movie RED. 

I and some friends roleplay characters in their late 30s or early 40s. I find it more engaging and interesting to roleplay someone of age instead of a teenager or young adult, gives more free room and more interesting conversations with randoms.

11 minutes ago, Rhy Rhy said:

Its either you roleplay a older man and get called boomer or you try roleplaying a older woman and get a 16 year old on a bike driving by you calling you a MILF.

This, but it doesn't help that your average old man plays the "Old Man Yells At Cloud" trope and your average 50 year old woman is described as looking 30.

• Applaud 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic