Middle aged/older characters?

shaobadman

8 hours ago, Koko said:

This is something that I'm trying to push on my 60 year old character to make apparent. He was in his early 20s in the 80s in Davis, and still relatively young during that era of Hip Hop, so he's not tied to just wearing a Mister Rogers sweater and looking like 90 year old grandad. Catch him in his Raiders jacket.

"Take it far", like the typical saying from the faction section ha. 

On the real though, you'd be doing the server a favour by having a character like that. I feel it's hard to push for an essence of normality with ages here, unless you're part of a group. 

6 minutes ago, shaobadman said:

Bravado on this server (or most RP servers) is on another level. It's another caricature and sometimes I really can't tell whether they're doing a bit or if they're serious.

I've honestly just interpreted that as players having their emotions / insecurity harped at from an OOC angle, so they just channel that frustration through their characters. This will usually manifest itself through a Play 2 Win (P2W) mentality, which inconveniences other players through poor escalation, poor reason to kill and Deathmatching. Therefore, you also have a seemingly high abundance of "mobster / gangster tough guy" characters that are really just 2 Dimensional, superficial and shallow. People need to understand that their characters' criminality isn't a substitute for an actual personality.

If you're going to make a character in general, you should properly develop their personality, character, temperament, behaviors and daily habits over a period that stretches for weeks, if not months. If your character's into some fucked up shit with regards to lifestyle choices or crimes, then fine. But if you're going to approach that angle with a "gang member / mobster incoming" mentality, then I won't be too cognizant of that OOC. It's not like other characters, especially civilians unfamiliar with the criminal underworld, will know about your character's criminal affiliations without blatantly Metagaming anyway.

I'm using the word "you" for the sake of my argument; this isn't levied towards you in particular, of course.  

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

1 hour ago, 13 Ways said:

I've honestly just interpreted that as players having their emotions / insecurity harped at from an OOC angle, so they just channel that frustration through their characters. This will usually manifest itself through a Play 2 Win (P2W) mentality, which inconveniences other players through poor escalation, poor reason to kill and Deathmatching. Therefore, you also have a seemingly high abundance of "mobster / gangster tough guy" characters that are really just 2 Dimensional, superficial and shallow. People need to understand that their characters' criminality isn't a substitute for an actual personality.

If you're going to make a character in general, you should properly develop their personality, character, temperament, behaviors and daily habits over a period that stretches for weeks, if not months. If your character's into some fucked up shit with regards to lifestyle choices or crimes, then fine. But if you're going to approach that angle with a "gang member / mobster incoming" mentality, then I won't be too cognizant of that OOC. It's not like other characters, especially civilians unfamiliar with the criminal underworld, will know about your character's criminal affiliations without blatantly Metagaming anyway.

I'm using the word "you" for the sake of my argument; this isn't levied towards you in particular, of course.  

While slightly off topic, my main character is flawed, while he comes across as confident and loud in certain crowds. But outside those circles, he has mental flaws which stem from his backstory (which is only know to one or two other characters) 

2 hours ago, 13 Ways said:

Well put. The issue is that I'm sure many people are aware of the "hard man" persona yet we're still seeing a lot of them wandering around on the server.

What bothers me is people who roleplay former military, or former/current police, and they witness deaths yet the characters seem to be all desensitised to it. Only in rare occasions would you find someone who witnessed or caused a death and are desensitised — more than likely your character is going to have PTSD/depression. Being a criminal doesn't automatically mean you can kill people and feel nothing at all, because we're meant to be replicating reality, or a book, not an action movie.

It is very true that many people don't take into consideration the pros and cons of their characters at all. They have an idea of their character but they don't think their backstory through properly, and don't focus on what their personality is made up of — what makes them happy, sad, cry, excited, or even aroused. A lot of their IC feelings are just their OOC feelings bleeding into the character, and that's a problem that can't always be fixed straight away. I think we've all been through a stage where we don't know much about the characters we portray, but you're right, there are people that do play a character with a play-to-win mentality.

12 minutes ago, TotalDeeJay said:

While slightly off topic, my main character is flawed, while he comes across as confident and loud in certain crowds. But outside those circles, he has mental flaws which stem from his backstory (which is only know to one or two other characters) 

It's fine to have a character that's obnoxious, but as a player you'll need to understand the effects and consequences of that obnoxious behaviour. A character might even be over-compensating, by being a showboat or someone who gloats, because they're a loser when they get home at night, or because they come from a broken family, something like that.

I think the biggest issue for characters over 45 is the lack of RP hubs. Everything is so nightlife focused it's hard to even find jobs that makes sense. People have already voiced most of my gripes about RPing old so I thought I'd offer something different. I always encourage people to RP older characters and there are places to do it, I just don't think people know where to be looking. 

Horizon Developers does most of the construction RP on the server and has access to a ton of custom vehicles and interiors. They are always hiring and it's a sub genre where older characters make sense. You could RP a dump truck driver or a heavy machine operator. Maybe you just want to RP a manual labor, the choice is yours.

The Port of Los Santos is in the same vein. a place where older characters make sense with tons of custom vehicles and interiors to RP with. Like Horizon, the port is always hiring and both basically host shift whenever they have enough people to RP. 

I highly encourage people who might be interested or on edge about playing an older character to look heavily into the two options above. Just start out with a few shifts and eventually you'll make more then enough contacts to get RP going on that character. It's natural development that's really enjoyable.

• Applaud 1
2 hours ago, Henning said:

I think the biggest issue for characters over 45 is the lack of RP hubs. Everything is so nightlife focused it's hard to even find jobs that makes sense. People have already voiced most of my gripes about RPing old so I thought I'd offer something different. I always encourage people to RP older characters and there are places to do it, I just don't think people know where to be looking. 

Horizon Developers does most of the construction RP on the server and has access to a ton of custom vehicles and interiors. They are always hiring and it's a sub genre where older characters make sense. You could RP a dump truck driver or a heavy machine operator. Maybe you just want to RP a manual labor, the choice is yours.

The Port of Los Santos is in the same vein. a place where older characters make sense with tons of custom vehicles and interiors to RP with. Like Horizon, the port is always hiring and both basically host shift whenever they have enough people to RP. 

I highly encourage people who might be interested or on edge about playing an older character to look heavily into the two options above. Just start out with a few shifts and eventually you'll make more then enough contacts to get RP going on that character. It's natural development that's really enjoyable.

I want that faction (shouldn't it be called San Andreas Port Authority?) to do very well in the server. For now it seems like it's just a roleplay faction without much of a purpose though, I'd like to see it have some connection with trucking companies, like vehicles being shipped over and stuff like that.

I have some older characters but not all of them are blue-collar, which poses a bit of an issue. There are social hubs suitable for older characters, like some bars in Blaine County, but they're limited.

1 hour ago, paym4n said:

I think more people just have to breach the flodgates first then a lot of people will follow suit.

Sometimes a change like this can't be made without a bit of incentive. I hope(d) that something like an updated insurance system might influence people to reconsider making young characters.

• Wuhtah locked this topic