Individual graffitis vs area descriptions

orca112

Hi,

I have seen this trend getting more and more popular in which - rather than the prior census individual info markers used for their individual graffiti - one places down one at either end of the road describing something along the lines of "Various XY affiliated graffiti could be seen as you drive down the road".

Personally, I am not a great fan of it as it gives very arbitrary details of what could actually be seen, let alone taking away the idea of a form to express yourself and convey messages, but I can also see the practicality with somewhat 'setting the mood' as you drive down a road in those areas and the issue of limited information markers that can be set per player on top of prior issues with tags being sprayed over right away for various reasons, some valid, some seemingly trollish.

Thus, I am more on the side of having individual graffitis, even with the above mentioned issues. Why? It gives a clear pin point on what is going on, what could be seen and most importantly - it opens roleplay opportunities. Civilians complaining about graffiti and the city having to remove them, gangs conveying messages and messing with each others tags / claims, Law Enforcement - specifically gang units - being able to get details on an area and gang ranging from mere presence, allegiance, incidents such as deaths and tensions with other entities.

Ultimately, the ideal scenario would most likely a combination of both. Area descriptions to set the mood and then individual graffiti and information markers that show what is there rather than a seeming area of nothingness with the rough description of "this entire road would be tagged up". But what are your thoughts about this topic?

Well as you said, people are limited to 1 information marker default, and if you drive through a gang neighborhood nearly anywhere, there are tags all over the walls and such, so in my personal opinion there's nothing wrong with an information marker as your described. You can still do the RP of contacting people to remove pieces of the graffiti on the walls, but people are limited to one marker only, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this.

1 hour ago, wheres the skante said:

Well as you said, people are limited to 1 information marker default, and if you drive through a gang neighborhood nearly anywhere, there are tags all over the walls and such, so in my personal opinion there's nothing wrong with an information marker as your described. You can still do the RP of contacting people to remove pieces of the graffiti on the walls, but people are limited to one marker only, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this.

this really

What they said honestly. I usually stop by and read graffitis, so I know on whose turf I am. Saves me lot of time read each of them on the street. Besides it makes sense, that whole street would be tagged, but cluttering each wall with a marker is not really a good way.

8 hours ago, orca112 said:

I have seen this trend getting more and more popular in which - rather than the prior census individual info markers used for their individual graffiti - one places down one at either end of the road describing something along the lines of "Various XY affiliated graffiti could be seen as you drive down the road".

afaik this isn’t allowed. When these markers were first introduced, admins warned some gang facs against using markers in this way. Tortilla Flats had their first few markers removed by an admin who advised us to be more detailed in describing the graffiti and to avoid writing things like "Various XY affiliated graffiti could be seen as you drive down the road". We were told that doing so can lead to MG since ic’ly some characters simply wouldn’t be able to identify certain gang-related tags. 

15 hours ago, Taina said:

afaik this isn’t allowed. When these markers were first introduced, admins warned some gang facs against using markers in this way. Tortilla Flats had their first few markers removed by an admin who advised us to be more detailed in describing the graffiti and to avoid writing things like "Various XY affiliated graffiti could be seen as you drive down the road". We were told that doing so can lead to MG since ic’ly some characters simply wouldn’t be able to identify certain gang-related tags. 

Become more the norm these days and it generally acceptable all over. People are only limited to one /cim and until the graffiti script comes in to play, this way is much better for setting the tone and structure of the area around. Whilst I can see the MG argument from an Admins perspective, I've noticed a considerable amount of people actually roleplaying in the area more when these /cims are present, more notably from the LSSD and some civilian sides too which is a bonus in itself.

• Upvote 1

nah from a gang rper prespective this makes no sense. not only because itd lead to people MGing and would result in gang units having to do basically 0 work to figure out what tags mean, but also makes no sense as to how wacking out hoods would work. Wacking out tags are very specific and id have to describe each letter thats wacked out in the CIM, that cant be done with a vague /cim, and a single cim shows where exactly the tag is. 

From a the public works perspective I much prefer individual graffitis as trying to remove a single graffiti makes more sense. Although I put efforts in removing single cim graffitis the other ones that covers a greater area always makes me wonder on how I should approach the task of removing it. Technically speaking the task of some of those /cim would take days to remove. But when I see the low effort that some players use to drop the info marker it makes me a bit mad considering I usually take around 10 minutes per graffiti removal.

In my opinion area wide graffiti should'nt be used unless you actually bother to.roleplay tagging the whole place. Gangs have members so they could ask their members to drop /cim for them everywhere in the turf instead of a lazy.info marker that covers the area but wasn't roleplayed.

• Wuhtah locked this topic