About Dogs

So here is a quick topic where I would like to read your thoughts about how dogs should be taken into account IG. The point is simple, it's a donator feature and if a grunty rottweiler is to be taken into consideration IC it basically gives an avantage to the player having it easier to reach to his wallet OOCly. Did I miss a rule about it?

w0RqbJ8.png

Edited by thelostart22

People have just paid to have an animal follow them around. 🤷‍♂️ I dont think much has to be explained. If they have a dog, yes it means they're roleplaying having one. Pretty sure you could RP one without having to donate for a visual dog. I dont get your question?

Edited by Jorgensen

So when player-owned dogs and cats were first introduced to the server via the world points store, it was clearly stated that they are purely cosmetic though many other things were not clear. The fact that they were cosmetic would have implied that we don't have to roleplay they're there, if we choose not to. I'm not sure if the ruling on this has changed, but I would guess that if someone approached me IC with a dog, I could choose not to roleplay that it's there because:

1. It's an NPC

1a. It can't react to /me's or /do's

2. It's a donator feature

There was a lot of arguments way back when they were introduced but I would guess everyone accepted them. Though they're still quite rare. I don't see a problem with people not roleplaying that they're there IC, unless they're faction pets, but obviously an official ruling has to be given for the matter.

As far as I recall, you are not allowed to roleplay a dog attacking another player ('weaponize') or something along those lines. At least that is what I heard in regards to Police K9s. The same most likely applies to any other dog / cat one can purchase through the donator shop.

I just remember a scene where a man shot a dog for attempting to assault him, and then the owner shot himself in the head (committed suicide) after his dog died... that was an intense scene.

Wasn't aware that dogs couldn't be weaponized. I've had K9s barking and growling at my character, but never assaulted... think I've seen it, in the past, though.

EDIT: I believe it can be weaponized unless all parties agree.

Edited by DLimit

I believe they're NPCs and powergaming if used to fight. Most 'guard dogs' are just anxious-resistant animals in real life, with little potential to actually protect. The owners have failed to take the animal to a qualified animal trainer, as most trainers specialize in police dogs. Yes there are exceptions. I fail to see many exceptions because fully qualified animal training usually falls in line with private detective and security companies, requiring extensive management experience in the field (supervisory management of an investigative team of 40+ in Illinois). A degree in animal behavior from the animal behavioral college only qualifies for a fraction of the experience required to properly train a dog for combat.

Regardless, even an anxious-resistant dog will need to be responded to in roleplay if it enters combat. In those circumstances, it is very gray that the roleplay becomes offensive RP.

Edited by Ethan_Lovelass
2 hours ago, thelostart22 said:

My question is would it be fair to OOCly pay for a very powerful weapon such as a rottweiler IC? Pretty simple to be fair. Think, Mark, think!

Was already said by a few people above but from my understanding of the rules (and mind you, in all my days of lurking I've only seen it show up once in the forum reports section) using a dog as a weapon is no buano. It has been done on this server, and I can even link you to screenshots where this can be seen, but as far as the server is concerned a dog cannot be used as a weapon unless consented to by the opposing party.

K-9's are used to sniff out drugs (amung other things), and civilian dogs are purely comsetic props for roleplay.

• Wuhtah locked this topic