The current situation with garages

Aquila

Just now, Yerrr said:

The point being is a lot of these garages? I hate to say it, leased by some people with horrible portrayal. It's not really about taking your time with shit but at the same time putting in the effort doesn't hurt. This is a roleplay server after all. When your doing 20 mods to each car (like 10 cars) in under 10 minutes? It becomes a quality issue for the server. Might as well make them like 24/7s where you can leave your car there for x amount of time as the mods get 'installed' and have it NPCed and not player owned/leased lol.

Go on the GTA:W discord and in the search bar you search for business ads for garages? Barely any in recent times. Like I said, MOST except a select few only cater to their friends and use it as their own personal business for their friend group.

Barely any cause most garages don't have any components, as of right now it's taken close to nine hours for us to get 10k comps, which is good for close to one and a half cars worth of mods. When you open and get flooded with fifteen plus you'll be unable to open at all for like a day or two at least. That's not to mention mechanic hotline cars, and people just randomly showing up and asking if we are open. It's a supply issue and the fact the there are currently garages up for lease.

I've already suggest more oversight by admins and managers to make sure the roleplay is portrayed right, but at the same time it's not totally off limits for someone to work on a friends car, mechanic shops do this all the time in real life. The difference in making it a 24/7 is that this actually requires roleplay, where at a gas station your just walking up and buying a drink. Why gas station clerks make less in real life it requires less knowledge and skill to ring up and item and give change. 

5 minutes ago, College Sweetheart said:

hard to keep track of people when they start getting in their cars and leaving. no admin at the time neither so my /reports were unheard but try again, we can't pull guns and start shooting people who are too impatient to wait when they literally ask to fully deck out their cars so we're forced to sit there like bitches

No one said pull guns and start shooting lol I would hope mechanics don't carry around guns while they're working on cars either lmfaooooooo anyways. I'm done with this arguement, in conclusion something needs to be fixed.

Can we not argue in this thread? My content's restricted and I'd actually like to be able to voice my opinion on time without my thread being shut due to another inane argument. Thanks.

1 hour ago, shaobadman said:

I have similar thoughts on this, Topinambour said it best when this discussion came up in 2019.

60pv2YX.png

Nothing wrong with it between parties who actually enjoy the experience but it's just a barrier for many players.

I'm of the belief that anyone and everyone should be allowed to roleplay whatever they want, so long as it doesn't unnecessarily infringe upon, or inconvenience others, unfairly. However, there should be an option whether to do something quickly or have a roleplay session, not just have one option only.

If I see a mechanic working somewhere for the first time in weeks, I'm going to want to rush to get my vehicles sorted out instead of have a lengthy session. It's different to going to a convenience store where there is usually someone there to roleplay with, especially when you want to buy useless things like a doughnut. @Topinambour has a point and I agree with him. Even in real life, I like cars, but I don't like them so much that I'm going to bother my mechanic while they're fixing up my car - that's not really something you'd do. Mechanic RP is mostly someone typing out /me's and /do's towards an inanimate object. I'm not trying to insult nor belittle people who enjoy this form of RP, but it is without a doubt very one-sided after the initial meeting.

56 minutes ago, Bridget Schmidt said:

Tldr, screw over a portion of players the enjoy the roleplay that they do as a mechanic and have to deal with players constantly telling them to hurry so the masses can go brrr and continue the roleplay they enjoy to do? Either way one party is getting effected massively by any of the solutions that are being offered. This supposed to be a heavy roleplay server, with high expectations set on the roleplay involved. I fail to see why having to have your car worked on through roleplay is a bad thing? It's what you signed up for when applying to a server like this. I am pretty sure the old system was changed cause it was being abused with people upgrading their car with no roleplay what so ever. Either way no need to further waste my time trying to argue over where or not someone just be able to go beep boop and have a turbo'd car in an instant just because you don't care for the roleplay other people are doing. 

I feel it's important to note that a lot of us who've played during the first year of this server did not sign up for this when we started playing. The car modding system was plain and simple way back, and they only decided to add it somewhere around mid-2018. This new system was forced on us without taking into consideration a lot of factors, like availability, which we are clearly lacking right now.

The old system was changed because a vocal handful wanted the server to expand its mechanic RP features. Everyone else was quite happy with the system we had in place.

This whole situation would not be an issue if more garages were open, and if more mechanics were actually working. Nobody can blame players who want to upgrade their cars, because it isn't their fault that nobody is around to upgrade said cars. Another issue is that typing out /me's and /do's to an inanimate object (not even an NPC) doesn't always mean we're upgrading cars through roleplay - right now the system we have is: I go to a garage, hit Y at the corona, buy my mods, then hop out and let the mechanic type out some things I'm not going to pay attention to. I am not trying to insult your intelligence here by any means, but rather I am trying to convey a message that the current system we have right now is broken, and we have so many inactive garages that mechanic RP has also died out, and it seems very few people are demotivated due to the fact it's repetitive and not interactive in the slightest, but it's a shame that it took so many years for that to be understood.

2 hours ago, Aquila said:

Can we not argue in this thread? My content's restricted and I'd actually like to be able to voice my opinion on time without my thread being shut due to another inane argument. Thanks.

I'm of the belief that anyone and everyone should be allowed to roleplay whatever they want, so long as it doesn't unnecessarily infringe upon, or inconvenience others, unfairly. However, there should be an option whether to do something quickly or have a roleplay session, not just have one option only.

If I see a mechanic working somewhere for the first time in weeks, I'm going to want to rush to get my vehicles sorted out instead of have a lengthy session. It's different to going to a convenience store where there is usually someone there to roleplay with, especially when you want to buy useless things like a doughnut. @Topinambour has a point and I agree with him. Even in real life, I like cars, but I don't like them so much that I'm going to bother my mechanic while they're fixing up my car - that's not really something you'd do. Mechanic RP is mostly someone typing out /me's and /do's towards an inanimate object. I'm not trying to insult nor belittle people who enjoy this form of RP, but it is without a doubt very one-sided after the initial meeting.

I feel it's important to note that a lot of us who've played during the first year of this server did not sign up for this when we started playing. The car modding system was plain and simple way back, and they only decided to add it somewhere around mid-2018. This new system was forced on us without taking into consideration a lot of factors, like availability, which we are clearly lacking right now.

The old system was changed because a vocal handful wanted the server to expand its mechanic RP features. Everyone else was quite happy with the system we had in place.

This whole situation would not be an issue if more garages were open, and if more mechanics were actually working. Nobody can blame players who want to upgrade their cars, because it isn't their fault that nobody is around to upgrade said cars. Another issue is that typing out /me's and /do's to an inanimate object (not even an NPC) doesn't always mean we're upgrading cars through roleplay - right now the system we have is: I go to a garage, hit Y at the corona, buy my mods, then hop out and let the mechanic type out some things I'm not going to pay attention to. I am not trying to insult your intelligence here by any means, but rather I am trying to convey a message that the current system we have right now is broken, and we have so many inactive garages that mechanic RP has also died out, and it seems very few people are demotivated due to the fact it's repetitive and not interactive in the slightest, but it's a shame that it took so many years for that to be understood.

It's a heavy roleplay server, just because they changed something down the road doesn't mean they hadn't hoped it to be that way or didn't see abuse in the way it was currently done and sought a way to fix it. Encouraging people to roleplay things out rather than just relying on a script is something a roleplay server that sets out to just remain that should do, whether people like it or not. It's a fact of convivence versus quality, just walking up to a script and using it is a mechanical thing that you can just do in GTA online as it is, having to actually roleplay out the changes is what makes it into a roleplay thing. 

The fact we were only open today for roughly an hour to two hours isn't our fault either? We have to deal with components that take time to get and deliver due to the lack of drivers, so it's effecting us as well. You are viewing it only from one side of the problem and not taking into consideration that people that actually have to do the roleplay work at all. So what if it's just working on an object? It's still something people like to roleplay and just because you don't find it enjoying doesn't mean that others don't. You want to enforce one side of an opinion over the other just because you don't want to have to wait for it. Go to a garage in real life and see how long it'd take them to do anything related to a car. Depending on how busy they are even getting new rims and tires could take thirty minutes to an hour.

While yes, I am on the side that normal maintenance should be able to be done by some joe shmoe with a funnel and a jug of oil that doesn't mean that everyone is capable of swapping out an engine or installing a turbo. Some random officer worker or bartender won't normally do that they'd go to a mechanic to get it done unless it's something they have a drive for in which case they might have the knowledge and just maybe the tools. The fact of that matter is this discussion is about eliminating a sub section of roleplay to be more of a convince of out of character want to not have to stop what you're doing for half an hour and give someone else a chance to roleplay the things they like to do. The number of inactive garages is in issue, why are there so many inactive? Because of management doing their job with some and that is why the are up for lease again, the others is the lack of comps due to lack of trucking. The fix is simple, more oversight and more incentive for truckers to deliver and mechanics to open and it doesn't even have to be monetary.

TLDRL: This discussion is about letting out of character issues rule over in character problems due to the influx of roughly forty or so cars being added within a few days apart which caused a supply issue with garages. It takes about seven thousand comps to fully upgrade a car, most garages only have up to 80k-100k in comps because they cost money, somewhere in the 100k-400k range. Fix the actual root causes of the issue which is the ooc attitude thinking some peoples time and roleplay should go over another's, management, and supply. 

6 minutes ago, Bridget Schmidt said:

The fact of that matter is this discussion is about eliminating a sub section of roleplay to be more of a convince of out of character want to not have to stop what you're doing for half an hour and give someone else a chance to roleplay the things they like to do.

Why do people need to be coaxed into doing this by the script, though? With the server hitting 700-800 at peak times you can definitely find someone out there who will allow you to show them your mechanic RP. How will that eliminate the RP? I'm personally fine with mechanic RP when it's done well and organised, I'm just trying to understand your response here, because it's coming off as "if people aren't made to RP with me on something they're not interested in, I'll have to find people who are interested" but I'd be happy to be corrected.

Also your argument of "go to a garage in real life" does not seem entirely valid, considering that going to a garage in real life is a chore that isn't meant to be fun (depending on your mechanic) unlike playing on a RP server, and more often than not, as others have said, witnessing a vehicle modification does very little for character development of the customer. I can see some niche scenarios occurring where maybe they take some interest and become a mechanic themselves, but besides any other specific example it's very one-sided.

12 minutes ago, shaobadman said:

Why do people need to be coaxed into doing this by the script, though? With the server hitting 700-800 at peak times you can definitely find someone out there who will allow you to show them your mechanic RP. How will that eliminate the RP? I'm personally fine with mechanic RP when it's done well and organised, I'm just trying to understand your response here, because it's coming off as "if people aren't made to RP with me on something they're not interested in, I'll have to find people who are interested" but I'd be happy to be corrected.

Also your argument of "go to a garage in real life" does not seem entirely valid, considering that going to a garage in real life is a chore that isn't meant to be fun (depending on your mechanic) unlike playing on a RP server, and more often than not, as others have said, witnessing a vehicle modification does very little for character development of the customer. I can see some niche scenarios occurring where maybe they take some interest and become a mechanic themselves, but besides any other specific example it's very one-sided.

Very few would do it they didn't have to, already have issues enough with people trying to sneak off after order their parts and having to wait a bit or complaining, as well it would eliminate any sort of reasoning to do it as a job and not a hobby, being as we only get paid while we are there. It'd gut any sort of income that'd make it a career path, even losing 50% would make it almost impossible to make a living out of.

As well I could also flip the argument, it does very little for a mechanic if they don't get to actually roleplay their job. The key word there is 'niche' even you said yourself that very few people enjoy watching the roleplay being done meaning they wouldn't sit there if they didn't have to do thus taking away both the profit and roleplay from the actual mechanic and give it over to an ooc script. That example is as well slightly one sided, as you assume the other person doesn't find enjoyment out of working on the cars as a career and not just a hobby. I could sit all day the garage and work on my own stuff, doesn't mean I could make a living off it to be able to afford and do anything else.  
Edit:
Either way I'm outie on this topic this time, obviously there are differences on both sides of the fence, but offering suggestions other than 'Just let people use the script when they want' has been out the window for the most part other than the few suggesting being able to leave the car in a que and come back for it. You make it so that anyone can just do it any time you eliminate the roleplay for the mechanic, you don't it leaves people have to wait a little to get their car modded which is realistic. The middle ground is allowing simple maintenance, more oversight on activity, and better incentives to truck and actual work. As well even if you switched to free script usage, it wouldn't change the fact that the comps won't even be there to be able to.

Edited by Bridget Schmidt
21 minutes ago, Bridget Schmidt said:

TLDRL: This discussion is about letting out of character issues rule over in character problems due to the influx of roughly forty or so cars being added within a few days apart which caused a supply issue with garages. It takes about seven thousand comps to fully upgrade a car, most garages only have up to 80k-100k in comps because they cost money, somewhere in the 100k-400k range. Fix the actual root causes of the issue which is the ooc attitude thinking some peoples time and roleplay should go over another's, management, and supply. 

834859348169195540.png?v=1

I will reiterate the points I listed on the first page of this thread.

1. Nobody cares about the roleplay being done on their car.
  2. They want their vehicle done up, re-colored, etc. but cannot do this unless a garage opens.
  3. Garages are the only script businesses that require players to keep them open.
  4. Players who play at odd times are out of luck.
  5. Garages should be treated like any other script business. (24/7, clothing store, etc.)

I understand a lot of people take great pride and joy in their mechanic roleplay, but that is not relevant whatsoever to the key problem at hand; the key problem being: garages should be treated like any other script business.

I notice a lot of mechanic role-players saying there is a supply and demand issue with truckers, it is expected as trucking is a noob job and people should be advancing out of trucking and into more fruitful avenues of roleplay. If we can solve the key issue with garages (that being they are not treated like any other script business) surely we can also solve the supply issue as well.

• Upvote 2

I think any opinion I would express as a response to your post would just echo the following two posts below, @Bridget Schmidt. I understand your point of view, but at the same time we need to take into considerations a couple things when we play on roleplay servers like:

- Game limitations

- Time constraints

At the end of the day, the owner of the vehicle is modifying it and the script allows them to do so, while the mechanic simply spends a bit of time doing the roleplay. This doesn't feel like a normal, spontaneous roleplay scenario at all. The system itself doesn't have a single essence of roleplay in it, but rather it's forcing people to roleplay rather than having it happen organically, if that makes sense. Onwards to the two posts.

2 hours ago, shaobadman said:

With the second point, you're right on the money. Going to a mechanic is not something I'd want to do because it's tedious, expensive, and overall time-consuming — I never really refer back to my times at a mechanic for any other reason than to explain where I had some car mods done, and the same could be applied to a roleplay server. It's a lot like going to a store to buy milk, or a store to buy a new shirt. Neither of the two scenarios make or add to a good story at all, it's just simple errands that you may never refer to again.

If I were to go to a store and then meet someone who eventually becomes my best friend, then that would be a noteworthy story, not "I went to this mechanic and had a new bumper fitted", because nobody's interested in it. It does nothing for character development, as you so correctly put it, beside the potential of someone wanting to become a mechanic.

2 hours ago, UTOPIA said:

834859348169195540.png?v=1

I will reiterate the points I listed on the first page of this thread.

1. Nobody cares about the roleplay being done on their car.
  2. They want their vehicle done up, re-colored, etc. but cannot do this unless a garage opens.
  3. Garages are the only script businesses that require players to keep them open.
  4. Players who play at odd times are out of luck.
  5. Garages should be treated like any other script business. (24/7, clothing store, etc.)

I understand a lot of people take great pride and joy in their mechanic roleplay, but that is not relevant whatsoever to the key problem at hand; the key problem being: garages should be treated like any other script business.

I notice a lot of mechanic role-players saying there is a supply and demand issue with truckers, it is expected as trucking is a noob job and people should be advancing out of trucking and into more fruitful avenues of roleplay. If we can solve the key issue with garages (that being they are not treated like any other script business) surely we can also solve the supply issue as well.

I completely agree with this post. As per my above post, going to a mechanic isn't anything substantial or anything to write home about, it's a simple errand and thus it should not be so difficult to go to one. At the end of the day, garages are meant to be simple vendors to carry out a quick, irrelevant errand. The only difference between a garage and something like a 24/7 or clothes store is that the former is not somewhere you'd go to everyday, but rather on the odd occasion.