The current situation with garages

Aquila

8 minutes ago, Bridget Schmidt said:

As a person that works as a mechanic the money is nice but I also enjoy being able to work on cars in a roleplay fashion as I generally have a love for cars and the work that goes into them. The wait time is because we are required to do the proper roleplay required to replace said parts. It's not a fast thing to completely replace an engine, paint the body of a car, install a turbo, make the new manifolds, etc. These things take hours to days in real life, so simplifying it down to just ten to twenty minutes if someone wants /everything/ replaced on a car isn't that bad in the long run of things. It's not as simple as *pulls engine out and replaces the parts before putting it back in*, they want quality roleplay, it falls under the same rules as trucking where you can't just go about script wise delivering items. On a second note it's also a supply chain issue, trust me there are garages that want to be open right now but finding truckers to deliver the comps is neither fast nor easy.  

Yes, I was about to say similar points. We can't open too much nowadays because we run out of comps really fast(due to the new cars), and at the same time we barely get any truckers to drop off comps for us. Not to mention, we also get drained/burnt out pretty quick if there's more than 12+ customers at once.

Edited by Flickin'TheWristo
4 hours ago, Amellis said:

IMHO It could and should work as it does irl; You leave your vehicle in the garage and the mechanics work on it when they have the time and parts to do so.

To be more specific, remove the queue of players waiting and let them have a queue of vehicles instead, even when closed (And of course the hability to take our vehicles out in case the garage you take them to is just inactive)

I'd like this. Also find it ridiculous every garage offers tuning works, but that's okay, that's script. But waiting for a turbocharger or car repair few minutes? Naaaah doesn't work like that.

Mechanics on GTA:W make a lot of money. With how the mechanic job currently is, the only way to attract mechanics to RP at the level of quality expected of them and to do so repetitively, you have to pay them a lot of money or no one will be doing it. When the recent patch earlier this year increased component costs to mechanic services, just about every mechanic garage dropped the percentage of sales mechanics get paid--that way the garage owners kept their profit margins roughly similar but tanked the margins for their mechanics. This caused a good number of mechanics to give up.

The state of the mechanic job on this server is a problem for everyone. 

It sucks for the customer. 

It sucks for the mechanic.

It sucks for the economy. 

The only people who really win in all of this are the people with the mechanic garage leases. And the whole mechanic garage lease economy on this server is ridiculous. I've seen incredibly passionate mechanic RPers be passed over time and time again for a garage which would have been an amazing addition to the server for some random money-hungry blokes to be granted it because they have better cred with the admin team. End result? Another inactive garage which hardly ever opens which no one gives a shit about with lackluster RP. Just another money grinding pit.

• Applaud 3

I have a couple of things to say about this, I've been leasing a garage down in Vespucci for almost a year by now in August, there were almost over 35+ players that I hired and I could safely say for myself that none of these people cares about the mechanic nerf at all because I specificly looked for people who doesn't want to money farm and only in it for the roleplay. I would say that there are reasons on why garages haven't been open lately, which these are:

• Less garages. Property Management has been cracking down most of these garages that did subpar roleplay and money farming attitude in the past, I wouldn't name names but there were over 15 garages or something along those lines and as of right now there is only OVC, Autoholics, Tomahawk, Glass Heroes, and Elysian that I know of. Maybe Property Management could share how many garages there are in the server and how many that are active. Though Property Management's been opening up garage leases for Re-Perez and MAD customs so that's good.
  • No truckers. This is a big problem for the shop that I'm currently leasing, most of my employees WANTED to open but we literally can't do that when we have low components, I did everything that I could to compensate for this by having an IC contract with multiple trucking company and put up $300 (extra pay) per crates for truckers, and still with these attempts we can't open the shop constantly because we have less truckers nowadays. When Kazanov and IMEX was active a couple of months back I never really had components problem. To further add into this point, let's say I have 80,000 components total that could last for about two to four hours during a shift and by the time that it takes for us to get refilled up back to 80,000 components could be 3-7 days depending on how active the truckers are.

I honestly think that these two points that I raised above are the main thing on why garages aren't open, I can't say for other garages but I as I mentioned earlier nobody in my shop actually gives a shit about the mechanic pay and they would open everyday if we could and if we have the components but the reality is we don't have that, Believe me if we could open everyday we'll do that and the players that is currently working with me are from various timezones from GMT-5 to GMT+8.

Also, to add into the mindset of players not giving a shit about the RP, it's true lol. The amount of people that have appreciated the roleplay or simply staying around during the RP when mechanics are doing their thing are small, most people don't give a shit and just afk while we were RPing and I can't really blame them for that. Also especially with the idea of other garages telling people to piss off if they want to see their cars and what not, it's just discouraging to see mechanic RP right now. I've been enforcing my employees to just do 20-40mins RP per cars if possible if it's a long list but even then at that point we're kinda rushing the roleplay, and people are being imaptient IC and OOC.

image.thumb.png.306b0178fc357c7b309eed2705dc58ed.png

Edited by mencurry
Fixed some typos
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

For the sake of this discussion and some food for thought, here are the statistics from the last garage I was employed at.

Everything involved here was in the span of a year to a year and a half.

Most of those profits went to the owners but I am unsure how much was spent on parts etc.

Total Parts Sold: 17,055
Total Profit: $56,121,560

Spoiler

Wheels, 1805
Colors, 1573
Window Tint, 1089
Engine, 905
Transmission, 874
Turbo, 765
Brakes, 704
Xenon, 582
Front Bumper, 563
Spoilers, 543
Exhaust, 537
Wheel Colors, 537
Suspension, 506
GPS, 498
Livery, 403
RGB Colors, 400
Extras, 389
Plate, 381
Rear Bumper, 358
Hood, 356
Side Skirt, 307
Roof, 293
Lock level 3, 277
Grille, 263
Frame, 233
Repair vehicle, 195
Vehicle Maintenance, 187
Anti-Theft level 5, 176
Alarm level 4, 164
Fender, 153
Neon, 146
Right Fender, 104
Vehicle Inspection, 71
Alarm level 3, 67
Anti-Theft level 3, 67
Anti-Theft level 2, 49
Unknown, 49
Steering Wheel, 44
Trim Design, 39
Engine Block, 38
Lock level 2, 37
Alarm level 2, 34
Tank, 25
Aerials, 24
Arch Cover, 24
Anti-Theft level 4, 23
Seats, 23
Ornaments, 21
Clean vehicle, 20
Shift Lever, 20
Dial Design, 19
Plaques, 14
Trim, 14
Dashboard, 12
Struts, 10
Trunk, 10
Vanity Plates, 9
Air Filter, 8
Door Speakers, 7
Alarm level 1, 4
Hydraulics, 3
Plate holders, 2
Anti-Theft level 1, 1
Speakers, 1

14 minutes ago, Vassilios said:

For the sake of this discussion and some food for thought, here are the statistics from the last garage I was employed at.

Everything involved here was in the span of a year to a year and a half.

Most of those profits went to the owners but I am unsure how much was spent on parts etc.

Total Parts Sold: 17,055
Total Profit: $56,121,560

Reveal hidden contents

Wheels, 1805
Colors, 1573
Window Tint, 1089
Engine, 905
Transmission, 874
Turbo, 765
Brakes, 704
Xenon, 582
Front Bumper, 563
Spoilers, 543
Exhaust, 537
Wheel Colors, 537
Suspension, 506
GPS, 498
Livery, 403
RGB Colors, 400
Extras, 389
Plate, 381
Rear Bumper, 358
Hood, 356
Side Skirt, 307
Roof, 293
Lock level 3, 277
Grille, 263
Frame, 233
Repair vehicle, 195
Vehicle Maintenance, 187
Anti-Theft level 5, 176
Alarm level 4, 164
Fender, 153
Neon, 146
Right Fender, 104
Vehicle Inspection, 71
Alarm level 3, 67
Anti-Theft level 3, 67
Anti-Theft level 2, 49
Unknown, 49
Steering Wheel, 44
Trim Design, 39
Engine Block, 38
Lock level 2, 37
Alarm level 2, 34
Tank, 25
Aerials, 24
Arch Cover, 24
Anti-Theft level 4, 23
Seats, 23
Ornaments, 21
Clean vehicle, 20
Shift Lever, 20
Dial Design, 19
Plaques, 14
Trim, 14
Dashboard, 12
Struts, 10
Trunk, 10
Vanity Plates, 9
Air Filter, 8
Door Speakers, 7
Alarm level 1, 4
Hydraulics, 3
Plate holders, 2
Anti-Theft level 1, 1
Speakers, 1

Seems that owners of garages are the secret bourgeoise of the server, that is ridiculous. Garages are far too difficult to get your hands on for them to make this much money, makes you wonder who the people giving out these garages & receiving them are. 

Thinking Smiley | Thinking emoticon, Smiley emoji, Funny emoticons

Edited by UTOPIA
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
23 minutes ago, mencurry said:

I have a couple of things to say about this, I've been leasing a garage down in Vespucci for almost a year by now in August, there were almost over 35+ players that I hired and I could safely say for myself that none of these people cares about the mechanic nerf at all because I specificly looked for people who doesn't want to money farm and only in it for the roleplay. I would say that there are reasons on why garages haven't been open lately, which these are:

• Less garages. Property Management has been cracking down most of these garages that did subpar roleplay and money farming attitude in the past, I wouldn't name names but there were over 15 garages or something along those lines and as of right now there is only OVC, Autoholics, Tomahawk, Glass Heroes, and Elysian that I know of. Maybe Property Management could share how many garages there are in the server and how many that are active. Though Property Management's been opening up garage leases for Re-Perez and MAD customs so that's good.
  • No truckers. This is a big problem for the shop that I'm currently leasing, most of my employees WANTED to open but we literally can't do that when we have low components, I did everything that I could to compensate for this by having an IC contract with multiple trucking company and put up $300 (extra pay) per crates for truckers, and still with these attempts we can't open the shop constantly because we have less truckers nowadays. When Kazanov and IMEX was active a couple of months back I never really had components problem. To further add into this point, let's say I have 80,000 components total that could last for about two to four hours during a shift and by the time that it takes for us to get refilled up back to 80,000 components could be 3-7 days depending on how active the truckers are.

I honestly think that these two points that I raised above are the main thing on why garages aren't open, I can't say for other garages but I as I mentioned earlier nobody in my shop actually gives a shit about the mechanic pay and they would open everyday if we could and if we have the components but the reality is we don't have that, Believe me if we could open everyday we'll do that and the players that is currently working with me are from various timezones from GMT-5 to GMT+8.

Also, to add into the mindset of players not giving a shit about the RP, it's true lol. The amount of people that have appreciated the roleplay or simply staying around during the RP when mechanics are doing their thing are small, most people don't give a shit and just afk while we were RPing and I can't really blame them for that. Also especially with the idea of other garages telling people to piss off if they want to see their cars and what not, it's just discouraging to see mechanic RP right now. I've been enforcing my employees to just do 20-40mins RP per cars if possible if it's a long list but even then at that point we're kinda rushing the roleplay, and people are being imaptient IC and OOC.

image.thumb.png.306b0178fc357c7b309eed2705dc58ed.png

This is soooo true, especially the last part. You cannot just buy couple of mods and expect your car to be done in 5 minutes. That way you can just buy mods and go away.

I have been working at garages almost since I first got into this server, and I have been owning one for over a year and a half. And although my garage isn't one of the most actives nor with the most mechanics (the first intention wasn't to make money out of it, but as a meeting spot for the car community where each driver could work on their cars for a low price), I have always seen a pattern whenever a car update came.

Normally, such update would bring, let's say, 10-15 cars. So every mechanic and garage owner know that during the next two to three days, the business will be booming. This has always been the case, before and after the first garage revamp (where the components were changed and the lease price got raised).

However, these past few days it's been different, I believe, because of different factors.

First, we have received over 60 cars in less than a week, making more people want their car(s) serviced and upgraded.

Second, there has been an important decrease in the number of truckers, specially knowing that the garages aren't the only ones that need components, but so do other kinds of businesses.

Third, there are less and less garages active. This might be caused by what other players mentioned earlier (components revamp leading to mechanics making less cash, players with play to win mentalities getting the leases over players invested in heavy roleplay). The problem is that because there are less garages, the people flood the ones remaining whenever they open. In my case, today, we only opened once (to do different cars for friends), and people passing by took the opportunity to get their car done, which we gladly did. In the end of the day, we didn't even need to post a single ad to get our components completely wiped out.

If we add all this up, we get to the situation we are today. A garage opens, they get wiped out, no one refills, and no one gets their cars upgraded/serviced.

P.S.: Even to do the maintenance on a car, we need components. 

It would be funny to get to a stage where all the cars needed to be serviced, but none could. BMX life.

Edited by Morseon
  • Upvote 1