( Discussion ) I believe the usage of lawyers on this server is pretty unrealistic

On 7/22/2021 at 9:16 AM, Florida said:

Most lawyers in real life, personal injury for example, will work for free and then just take a cut from the winnings. They offer a free consultation and know which cases are easy slam dunk settlements with insurance companies and will take it "for free" but will get a big chunk of the pay out.

And on the criminal side, public defenders and prosecutors are very efficient. Plea deals are streamlined to the point where once they read and review your arrest affidavit and review case law they can easily dictate what direction your "client" will likely go.

TV has put into peoples minds that everything goes to trial, that's just not the case. The only cases which actually go to trial for the majority are homicides, sex offenses (which usually settle with plea deals before trial), and D.U.I/D.W.I. because the burden of proof is very difficult and requires advanced training/testimony from specialized Officers.

If we are using the term unrealistic, it's unrealistic how little lawsuits this server has compared to real life.

Someone gets it. Bravo.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:30 AM, arandomgamer said:

If you throw a glance at the Court forums you'll see all sorts of low income people throw frivolous lawsuits around. Most of the time they lose, and it's for small claims, too. There's no way they'd get a profit from those law suits.

I think it's highly unrealistic how many lawsuits we have. Lawyers are expensive in real life, where in the hell are people with no jobs getting the funds to take the Police/Sheriff departments to court?

It's actually quite realistic to have ridiculous lawsuits. Read above. Many lawyers will work completely pro bono and only take their fee if you win, otherwise they get nothing. Granted they only take the case if they feel they have a reasonable chance of winning.

For your reading pleasure, here's a random list of ridiculous lawsuits that actually went to a court room before it was dismissed or dropped.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/02/03/25-really-weird-lawsuits-you-wouldnt-believe-were-ever-filed/41083385/

Edited by Italiano
  • Thanks 1

It is pretty common for municipalities to contract private lawyers as Public defender's rather than having a dedicated public defender's staff. Your complaint about public defender's has been discussed multiple times internally.

At the end of the day there arent enough lawyers to have a dedicated public defender staff so you have to consolidate. As for frivolous lawsuits from low income people don't really see that as being an issue. For my clients I offer free consultations if I think you case has a good chance of winning I don't charge you upfront and just take a percentage of the settlement no risk to the client so there isn't a paywall for lawsuits. Common practice IRL. Court system has a lot problems but I wouldn't put the issues you laid out here on top of the list.

I don't have any problems with the lawyers really, the only thing that I find bugging is that there are people who hold multiple positions but also do separate professions. Such as the District Attorney being a judge on a character or a judge getting involved with court cases as a lawyer on another character. 

On 7/22/2021 at 2:59 PM, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Because the system is broken. In real life traffic court works different + you don't get fined because a cop got an ALRP hit on your car and your insurance is expired by 20 minutes. Not to mention the fact that while the traffic fines are usually between $1000-5000, it costs around 5-10k to get a lawyer to actually write up the narrative, post the petition and argue on your behalf. I'd say that's a fair price given the fact there's a chance your record will remain clean. As for the entire "guilty as hell" thing, it doesn't matter. That's literally the point, guilty people get to walk free all the time because of trial errors, wrongfully obtained evidence and whatnot.

Actually they can do that. If you car is uninsured they can even suspend your license and impound your car. Cops do not see when your insurance expired I believe, they only see, that it is uninsured.

• Wuhtah locked this topic