( Discussion ) I believe the usage of lawyers on this server is pretty unrealistic

If you throw a glance at the Court forums you'll see all sorts of low income people throw frivolous lawsuits around. Most of the time they lose, and it's for small claims, too. There's no way they'd get a profit from those law suits.

I think it's highly unrealistic how many lawsuits we have. Lawyers are expensive in real life, where in the hell are people with no jobs getting the funds to take the Police/Sheriff departments to court?

10 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I guarantee you that if it wasn't the case, you'd see a way more high quality lawsuits.

What does it matter how much you stand to gain when most of them are frivolous and the person throwing them is clearly guilty? I've looked through your recent cases, you've only won one out of six, and that's only because the officer didn't properly write the report.

Most of those people paying lawyers to appeal their tickets are guilty as hell, and it's ridiculous that they're throwing money at lawyers on a lawsuit/appeal that has a maybe 1 in 100 chance of working. People don't have that kinda money to throw around in real life.

Edited by arandomgamer
18 minutes ago, arandomgamer said:

If you throw a glance at the Court forums you'll see all sorts of low income people throw frivolous lawsuits around. Most of the time they lose, and it's for small claims, too. There's no way they'd get a profit from those law suits.

I think it's highly unrealistic how many lawsuits we have. Lawyers are expensive in real life, where in the hell are people with no jobs getting the funds to take the Police/Sheriff departments to court?

Besides what @i dont wanna od in LA said, I don’t recall ever paying for a lawyer either. They’ll either work for free or someone else will pay for them. 

2 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

They’ll either work for free

Which is... pretty unrealistic? If they're public defenders they should be overworked ( juggling several cases at the same time ) and underpaid. Where are they getting the time and money to do pro bono?

That's the second can of worms, free lawyers on this server are way too good/efficient compared to real life. People get shit deals/guilty verdicts because they can't afford a good lawyer all the time IRL.

Edited by arandomgamer
1 minute ago, arandomgamer said:

Which is... pretty unrealistic? If they're public defenders they should be overworked and underpaid. Where are they getting the time and money to do pro bono?

That's the second can of worms, free lawyers on this server are way too good/efficient compared to real life. People get shit deals/guilty verdicts because they can't afford a good lawyer all the time IRL.

I don’t know, these lawyers were either fixed by others or just decided to work for free because of who they knew. I don’t see why a lawyer should suck just because they’re voluntarily taking a case for a friend or decide to work pro bono. 

7 minutes ago, arandomgamer said:

What does it matter how much you stand to gain when most of them are frivolous and the person throwing them is clearly guilty? I've looked through your recent cases, you've only won one out of six, and that's only because the officer didn't properly write the report.

Most of those people paying lawyers to appeal their tickets are guilty as hell, and it's ridiculous that they're throwing money at lawyers on a lawsuit/appeal that has a maybe 1 in 100 chance of working. People don't have that kinda money to throw around in real life.

Because the system is broken. In real life traffic court works different + you don't get fined because a cop got an ALRP hit on your car and your insurance is expired by 20 minutes. Not to mention the fact that while the traffic fines are usually between $1000-5000, it costs around 5-10k to get a lawyer to actually write up the narrative, post the petition and argue on your behalf. I'd say that's a fair price given the fact there's a chance your record will remain clean. As for the entire "guilty as hell" thing, it doesn't matter. That's literally the point, guilty people get to walk free all the time because of trial errors, wrongfully obtained evidence and whatnot.

• Upvote 1

Most lawyers in real life, personal injury for example, will work for free and then just take a cut from the winnings. They offer a free consultation and know which cases are easy slam dunk settlements with insurance companies and will take it "for free" but will get a big chunk of the pay out.

And on the criminal side, public defenders and prosecutors are very efficient. Plea deals are streamlined to the point where once they read and review your arrest affidavit and review case law they can easily dictate what direction your "client" will likely go.

TV has put into peoples minds that everything goes to trial, that's just not the case. The only cases which actually go to trial for the majority are homicides, sex offenses (which usually settle with plea deals before trial), and D.U.I/D.W.I. because the burden of proof is very difficult and requires advanced training/testimony from specialized Officers.

If we are using the term unrealistic, it's unrealistic how little lawsuits this server has compared to real life.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 7:51 AM, arandomgamer said:

Which is... pretty unrealistic? If they're public defenders they should be overworked ( juggling several cases at the same time ) and underpaid. Where are they getting the time and money to do pro bono?

Pro Bono work is extremely common and a tactic used by inexperienced lawyers to gain a reputation and some press time. Very very common. 

You don’t know what you’re talking about if you claim public defenders are shit lawyers. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic