((Brb's)) during RP, Your opinions?

Annaex

1 minute ago, Denise said:

The key words were "compulsively," "over and over again," and "constant absence." Neither myself nor the OP are criticizing people who go AFK for five minutes. It's when people go AFK over and over again--that is legitimately annoying no matter what game you are playing with another person. Again, this is not a far-fetched concept. No one said it wasn't a non-issue either. At most it is annoying, but it is in fact annoying.

The point still stands. Rely on yourself to enjoy the game, not others. DIsengage from the roleplay if they're annoying you with their constant AFKing and you're not having fun. This is something that you can totally fix by yourself if you find it that big of a deal.

Again, this is a game and it doesn't matter how often or how long people go AFK for — if they have to go, they have to go. If they don't log off (which is the ideal case when someone plans on AFKing for a long period of time), then you should assume that they have intentions to carry on with the roleplay and aren't intentionally trying to annoy you, they simply gotta do what they gotta do. 

52 minutes ago, Denise said:

It makes sense to be annoyed by someone compulsively going AFK so I don't understand why most people here are acting like it's an outrageous concept. It's the same way most people would be annoyed if you were trying to play Escape from Tarkov or League of Legends with someone who kept disappearing for minutes on end over and over again. It ruins the experience of the game, even minorly, even if the constant absence is justified due to IRL circumstances. This is especially true with roleplay games like GTA World where a player is reliant on the attention of others to enjoy the game.

That said, people are allowed to do this and real life obviously takes priority. However, I completely agree that if I am going to spend two hours max online each day then I want to spend it roleplaying, not waiting for someone to respond to me over and over again. Instead of confronting them, though, I'd just avoid roleplaying with them...and anyone who I think makes roleplaying unenjoyable for that matter.

Good lord, finally someone actually read and understood what I am trying to point out instead of be like "yay, meme time" 😂

• Upvote 1

RP is a hobby and mostly opt-in. If your partners don't meet your requirements, whichever they may be, you can just opt not to RP with them (or reduce your interactions to a minimum).

If someone has to constantly AFK then that's easily a problem, obviously going to take your word for granted about it and assume it's that level of bad. If you're playing with people who are doing fifteen things at once and can't focus, change RP partners, or bring it up to them directly. Sometimes it just happens, or sometimes you even just need a minute to stretch your legs to not die of thrombosis for being in front of GTAW for 4 hours straight, but if you have to AFK because you're playing a different game on another screen (which happens often), or you're watching a movie or doing whatever else, then honestly you shouldn't be surprised that people then avoid RP with you in future.

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Shaderz said:

The point still stands. Rely on yourself to enjoy the game, not others. DIsengage from the roleplay if they're annoying you with their constant AFKing and you're not having fun. This is something that you can totally fix by yourself if you find it that big of a deal.

Again, this is a game and it doesn't matter how often or how long people go AFK for — if they have to go, they have to go. If they don't log off (which is the ideal case when someone plans on AFKing for a long period of time), then you should assume that they have intentions to carry on with the roleplay and aren't intentionally trying to annoy you, they simply gotta do what they gotta do. 

That's not a valid point because, like I already said, roleplay games are entirely dependant on the attention of others in order to be functional and immersive. This isn't Minecraft or Stardew Valley where you don't need to interact with anyone in order to enjoy the game. It does matter how long people go AFK because it harms immersion--if it didn't we wouldn't have literal rules against it. No one, however, has said that immersion takes precedence over real life. They just said that constant AFKing was annoying at most. In fact, you were the one that said immersion can take precedent over real life by insinuating that people forget IRL responsibilities to roleplay which sounds completely absurd and immature to me.

I don't really understand what your key point is because aside from the obvious logical inconsistencies it seems more like you're agreeing with me. I have said this entire time that if people don't like roleplaying with someone then they shouldn't roleplay with that person, whether that be because of constant AFK behavior, poor roleplay, or whatever other reasons you can think of.

Edited by Denise
  • Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Annaex said:

Good lord, finally someone actually read and understood what I am trying to point out instead of be like "yay, meme time" 😂

I doubt half the people who have replied actually comprehend your criticism so I hope you don't take the memeing to heart. People can't read lol.

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, Denise said:

That's not a valid point because, like I already said, roleplay games are entirely dependant on the attention of others in order to be functional and immersive. This isn't Minecraft or Stardew Valley where you don't need to interact with anyone in order to enjoy the game. It does matter how long people go AFK because it harms immersion--if it didn't we wouldn't have literal rules against it. No one, however, has said that immersion takes precedence over real life. They just said that constant AFKing was annoying at most. In fact, you were the one that said immersion can take precedent over real life by insinuating that people forget IRL responsibilities to roleplay which sounds completely absurd and immature to me.

I don't really understand what your key point is because aside from the obvious logical inconsistencies it seems more like you're agreeing with me. I have said this entire time that if people don't like roleplaying with someone then they shouldn't roleplay with that person, whether that be because of constant AFK behavior, poor roleplay, or whatever other reasons you can think of.

If someone is ruining your gameplay by being constantly away from their keyboards, you can opt to leave and go interact with someone else who is otherwise actively roleplaying, or stay and wait for the player to come back. If you choose the latter, that's on you. Literally nobody forces you to, so complaining about it is technically complaining about a choice that you freely made which makes no sense when you have options to avoid this in the first place. It is for that reason that I believe this is something that you can fix by yourself, by simply leaving if it's that annoying to you and ruins your gaming experience so much.

You missed my point entirely about people forgetting their real life responsibilities. This is an psychological process. When you're having fun playing a game, you get too engaged in it. It's an escape from the real world, and a lot of times it makes you forget about everything else around you so your focus is entirely on playing that game. This is one of the many addictive effects that games have on a lot of people. You don't want your gaming session to end, or even take a break from it, but just like everything else in life, it does eventually come to a point where it ends or you have to pause it, and it is usually at this point that people realize they have distracted themselves from their everyday responsibilities. This isn't me insinuating anything, this simply happens more often than it should and it's been scientifically proven. It obviously doesn't happen to everyone, but it happens to a good chunk of gamers. However, this in no way means that gaming takes priority over real life to them, because in a lot of cases, it happens involuntarily, and it is certainly one of the many reasons that people have to go AFK for, so they can tend to their real life responsibilities. 

Edited by Shaderz
  • Bospy locked this topic