((Brb's)) during RP, Your opinions?

Annaex

I have returned to this server after almost a couple of years just a couple of months ago. Although I am not as consistent as before, I try to get on whenever I am free since I love this server.

However, this is something that I have noticed happen a lot with me. Whenever I am RP'ing with someone, most of the time they will be going ((brb)) after each and every sentence. Like dude? While I understand that we all have r/l and there can be times when you have to tend to something urgently, but then you can just call off the RP by saying you have to go instead of typing one line and then go for ((brb)) for 5 minutes. I don't know what others feel about it but I really find it annoying and it just kills my mood of the situation and the RP.

I am sure others would have encountered this also, just wondering what your thoughts are.

For more details regarding the above, scroll down to my other post in this topic.

Edited by Annaex

It’s a video game. If someone has to get up and go away for a few minutes for whatever reason I’ve never had an issue with this. Sure, it may be annoying at times, but I think you’re blowing it well out of proportion.

14 minutes ago, mattmocz said:

It’s a video game. If someone has to get up and go away for a few minutes for whatever reason I’ve never had an issue with this. Sure, it may be annoying at times, but I think you’re blowing it well out of proportion.

I agree with @mattmocz honestly, and I am part of your ''problem''.

I am currently in the midst of moving places, so sometimes something pops up that I need to BRB. These are a variety of reasons and I wont hide them or whatever. One of the reasons is that one of my close relatives is a heart and kidney patient, and requires 24/7 monitoring from her housemates (vague wording to protect his/her privacy). She can barely walk and it happens often that she shouts upstairs to help for 4 minutes with something simple. Sometimes thats grabbing a pan for cooking, other times its accepting a package, etc..

During the day, Im a workaholic. My work is easily done and done fast. I do an entire workday in 3 hours while I got 8 to spare! This tends me to login into GTA World while working. I accept calls too, and if a call turns out more complicated than first thought, I do ''/b brb, phonecall''. When it gets busy however, I simply explain whatsup and log off to prevent keeping the person waiting for too long.

Is it ideal? Nope, and I probably shouldnt login when I know I need to /brb a lot. But hey, if I were to adapt that, I couldn't login at all.

Ultimately its peoples lives you are basicly debating here, which is a but unorthodox but not taboo ofcourse!

People's lives differ and IRL obligations excist. Its good that you open discussion on this thing, but its not really a problem.

• Upvote 1

Okay looks like you all just misunderstood (or didn't read) the whole thing. If someone has to go AFK for even 10 minutes, I am fine with that. We all do that.

What I was saying was doing it after every or a couple of lines.

Person A: Hey.

Person B: Hey, how are you?
((Person A: brb))

-- After 5 minutes --

Person A: Good Thanks, how about yourself.

Person B: Nice to know.

-- After 5 minutes --

repeat...

Just now, Annaex said:

Okay looks like you all just misunderstood (or didn't read) the whole thing. If someone has to go AFK for even 10 minutes, I am fine with that. We all do that.

What I was saying was doing it after every or a couple of lines.

Person A: Hey.

Person B: Hey, how are you?

-- After 5 minutes --

Person A: Good Thanks, how about yourself.

Person B: Nice to know.

-- After 5 minutes --

repeat...

Then it falls to the common courtesy of Person A to just quit if its /that/ frequent.

3 minutes ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

I agree with @mattmocz honestly, and I am part of your ''problem''.

I am currently in the midst of moving places, so sometimes something pops up that I need to BRB. These are a variety of reasons and I wont hide them or whatever. One of the reasons is that one of my close relatives is a heart and kidney patient, and requires 24/7 monitoring from her housemates (vague wording to protect his/her privacy). She can barely walk and it happens often that she shouts upstairs to help for 4 minutes with something simple. Sometimes thats grabbing a pan for cooking, other times its accepting a package, etc..

During the day, Im a workaholic. My work is easily done and done fast. I do an entire workday in 3 hours while I got 8 to spare! This tends me to login into GTA World while working. I accept calls too, and if a call turns out more complicated than first thought, I do ''/b brb, phonecall''. When it gets busy however, I simply explain whatsup and log off to prevent keeping the person waiting for too long.

Is it ideal? Nope, and I probably shouldnt login when I know I need to /brb a lot. But hey, if I were to adapt that, I couldn't login at all.

Ultimately its peoples lives you are basicly debating here, which is a but unorthodox but not taboo ofcourse!

People's lives differ and IRL obligations excist. Its good that you open discussion on this thing, but its not really a problem.

I am sorry to hear about your relative. I can understand what you are going through, I faced this myself not long ago, but I didn't stall other's RP by going afk/brb after every 2 minutes out of common courtesy and I am sure you also must have done the same thing.

And why does it bother me is because I don't have a lot of hours of free time everyday. There are people who can be online for 2-3 hours in a day only. If I am going to spend most of my time just looking at my phone during those times, it becomes a waste for us and there is very little RP that we can do into developing our character.

• Bospy locked this topic