Disallow the useage of RENTAL cars for commiting crime.

3 minutes ago, Havana said:

And then they can PM the person asking if they used fake names or their own picture in the falsified license. Obviously, they should keep the proof of the rp too..

There should be some evidence of roleplay surrounding the acquisition of the falsified/stolen license as well, otherwise it'll just move from the current trend to a rash of every criminal always having a false/stolen ID when convenient.

• Upvote 1

i don't mind people using rental cars for crimes, but there needs to be a way for PD to investigate it. LFM have told us we're not allowed to obtain search warrants on the 'IC rental company' and thus they're literally completely impossible to look into.

1 hour ago, heat465 said:

You could have each rental vehicle generate a randomized license plate (from different format of normal plates to avoid possible duplicates with rental and owned) and save general information like the player's name, time they rented it, etc. to address the de-spawning issue but it wouldn't solve how to prove the name (ID card) used to rent it real or not without MGing or proper screenshots/logs of them using stolen/fake ID/credit card.  I don't think making a rule to not allow rentals to be used is the right approach since it does happen plenty irl.

This idea where a randomly generated plate that is specifically classified as Rental where regular people who buy a car won't get it later down the road is a good idea. Also each time someone gets a Rental it registers the persons details in the database which is accessible to PD/SD even if the car is despawned.

Just enforce /sp 40 on all rentals.  Simple to do and soft-nudges criminals towards other vehicles.  Pretty sure these vehicles did used to be speed limited but somehow aren't now.  Longer term...remove rentals and the very cheap airport cars, pushing people to actually use taxis and public transport (we had a bus service briefly but I believe it shut down).

1 hour ago, Paenymion said:

Just enforce /sp 40 on all rentals.  Simple to do and soft-nudges criminals towards other vehicles.  Pretty sure these vehicles did used to be speed limited but somehow aren't now.  Longer term...remove rentals and the very cheap airport cars, pushing people to actually use taxis and public transport (we had a bus service briefly but I believe it shut down).

They are but it's as easy as /sp off

46 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Rentals always were used in various criminal schemes. But that's that. Schemes. Rentals are usually used in "planned criminal acts" Not your usual, we are bored or poor let's roll 4 deep somewhere to rob people.

Something I agree with, the robbery I was involved in, felt more like lets use it to rob. Which was not planned.

• Upvote 1

When you rent a vehicle from many of the bigger rental companies, they can check your MVR. Fake licenses won't matter when your MVR from the DMV doesn't come back because your personal information is all made up. You'll need a stolen identity tied to your fake license and a stolen/fraudulent card that works as well. At this point the entire operation becomes too extensive for a two-bit gangster that just wants to rob someone for their pocket cash.

There are also rental companies that are less-strict and smaller companies that rent cars to shady people anyway. They don't run any extensive checks if your names on the cards match, so you can more-easily rent a car via fraud. There's probably a few companies out there that accept cash instead of card as well. And lastly you have the case of lazy employees not properly checking the information they're presented. It's possible to obtain a rented vehicle under a fake/stolen identity and it does happen.

There are other various pros and loopholes that aid criminals using rentals (some vary state to state). If a cop happens to randomly run the plates, it links back to a rental company, not to stolen plates, or the vehicle belonging to a convicted felon with a warrant. Rented cars can't be immediately reported stolen unlike regular vehicles (companies need to wait an X amount of days before they report it), so even if the vehicle isn't returned in time, criminals can keep on driving it without being pulled over until that period passes. Rental cars tend to look clean and nicer, making it less likely to be profiled. It's possible to rent vehicles online which bypasses the face-to-face element. The vehicle tracking GPS can be removed or only legally allowed to be turned on after the car is reported stolen. Things like that can make it more appealing for criminals to use rented cars for their activities.

All in all, there are too many variables around rented vehicles that aren't simulated in-game and I think it would be unfair to disallow the use of rental cars when committing criminal activities, considering it happens in real life. I'm sure the majority of players doing it in-game are clueless about renting cars and don't really role play it properly, but that's another thing.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/east-bay-man-arrested-in-80-fraudulent-car-rentals-from-sfo/2316580/

https://www.autorentalnews.com/153089/identity-theft-and-car-rental

https://www.acuant.com/blog/fake-ids-help-criminals-steal-rental-cars/

After I mentioned that fact to the duo, they went ahead and stole my car, which I did not object, as two armed men pointed a gun at me, would be stupid trying anything. They stole the car, but their arrival was done using a RENTAL they stole. Which leaves no ends to follow.

Chad rental car robbers vs. virgin law abiding citizen 

Edited by Gecko
  • Upvote 1