Disallow the useage of RENTAL cars for commiting crime.

Aside from the starter rentals which imo should be limited to new players, maybe there's another rental company that charges 5k'ish for a 24hours. You don't get to keep the rental for a crime-spree week and the price is appropriate, it costs to make money illegally and so upping the price of rentals and limiting how long you can use them would benefit all imo.

1 hour ago, Gecko said:

When you rent a vehicle from many of the bigger rental companies, they can check your MVR. Fake licenses won't matter when your MVR from the DMV doesn't come back because your personal information is all made up. You'll need a stolen identity tied to your fake license and a stolen/fraudulent card that works as well. At this point the entire operation becomes too extensive for a two-bit gangster that just wants to rob someone for their pocket cash.

There are also rental companies that are less-strict and smaller companies that rent cars to shady people anyway. They don't run any extensive checks if your names on the cards match, so you can more-easily rent a car via fraud. There's probably a few companies out there that accept cash instead of card as well. And lastly you have the case of lazy employees not properly checking the information they're presented. It's possible to obtain a rented vehicle under a fake/stolen identity and it does happen.

There are other various pros and loopholes that aid criminals using rentals (some vary state to state). If a cop happens to randomly run the plates, it links back to a rental company, not to stolen plates, or the vehicle belonging to a convicted felon with a warrant. Rented cars can't be immediately reported stolen unlike regular vehicles (companies need to wait an X amount of days before they report it), so even if the vehicle isn't returned in time, criminals can keep on driving it without being pulled over until that period passes. Rental cars tend to look clean and nicer, making it less likely to be profiled. It's possible to rent vehicles online which bypasses the face-to-face element. The vehicle tracking GPS can be removed or only legally allowed to be turned on after the car is reported stolen. Things like that can make it more appealing for criminals to use rented cars for their activities.

All in all, there are too many variables around rented vehicles that aren't simulated in-game and I think it would be unfair to disallow the use of rental cars when committing criminal activities, considering it happens in real life. I'm sure the majority of players doing it in-game are clueless about renting cars and don't really role play it properly, but that's another thing.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/east-bay-man-arrested-in-80-fraudulent-car-rentals-from-sfo/2316580/

https://www.autorentalnews.com/153089/identity-theft-and-car-rental

https://www.acuant.com/blog/fake-ids-help-criminals-steal-rental-cars/

Even if a person used stolen identity to rent a car, when cops runt he plates it comes back as Rental company's car, but contacting the company you can get the paperwork that was signed if very little on who took out the car. Which would still allow cops to look into it for longer than five minutes.

P.S.

Love you profile pic, reminded me of my childhood:

Spoiler

zo5gJZS.png

Edited by Vash Baldeus
34 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Even if a person used stolen identity to rent a car, when cops runt he plates it comes back as Rental company's car, but contacting the company you can get the paperwork that was signed if very little on who took out the car. Which would still allow cops to look into it for longer than five minutes.

I'd argue here. Sure, they can contact the rental company. Are they going to do it if the driver/passangers aren't under arrest? I highly doubt. Also, there's a huge chance the rental company would refuse to provide them with it. Information on who was renting a vehicle at a certain date & time would be most likely subpoenaed in a criminal trial though.

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
16 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Are they going to do it if the driver/passangers aren't under arrest?

If the police are inquiring about Rental Company property potentially being used in a crime, cooperation becomes paramount to both protect the rented property from potential damage/destruction and to ensure there is no liability for the property being used to facilitate criminal acts. Helping the police is a much more affordable means to fulfill both goals, as other avenues of investigation or response are both costly and often times not fast enough or separate enough to protect the Rental business.

There's a more than a literal ton of problems that are remedied by just sharing with the police rental car client information, especially with the use agreement that allows them to legally disclose that information to the police if they even so much as have a bad dream about you sneezing wrong in their car.

This is particularly important for them in a day and age in which insurance investigations will use even the smallest of reasons to avoid paying out.

My posting has several arrangements with rental companies in the area, to ensure vehicle availability in the event of an incident. Learning about rental company attitudes towards how they share information and how they react to even suspected misuse, was very eye-opening.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

1000000000 Percent Agree, if it cannot be tied down to an actual person in any way shape or form? Don't let them, absolutely 0 leads to follow, happened to me whilst I was investigating a crime, rental poofs and it's gone, cannot get prints off of the non-existent vehicle, can't call an actual company to see who the vehicle belongs to. Nada.

• 1 month later...

From what I can understand the suggestion is saying, this is mostly addressing the fact that rentals can essentially be vpark abused without a trace, like the car never existed in the first place. The suggestion feels pretty in-line with the reason for the 30 minute robbery rule where investigation can become impossible without the player online, and similarly more lengthy investigation becomes impossible without a vehicle to track down or handle. A rental returned to the employer, even with a fake ID and bank account, could still have some helpful forensic data to use but game limitations cut that short when it stops existing when the deed is done.

I think the problem is less about the realism of a rental car being used, and more about the realism that it vanishes without a trace due to the nature of rentals being disposable on the server end. If there were some way to access the rental after the fact without directly telling you who owned the car, even that could alleviate some of the frustration I'm reading about. An unregistered car will be driven again unless ditched with effort, a stolen car will have prints unless cleaned, a registered car has a name or address; rentals have none of those.

It doesn't have to be an all-out ban, but some give and take with criminal investigations to make it feel like they're not chasing a ghost feels fair.

49 minutes ago, LizziePup said:

From what I can understand the suggestion is saying, this is mostly addressing the fact that rentals can essentially be vpark abused without a trace, like the car never existed in the first place. The suggestion feels pretty in-line with the reason for the 30 minute robbery rule where investigation can become impossible without the player online, and similarly more lengthy investigation becomes impossible without a vehicle to track down or handle. A rental returned to the employer, even with a fake ID and bank account, could still have some helpful forensic data to use but game limitations cut that short when it stops existing when the deed is done.

I think the problem is less about the realism of a rental car being used, and more about the realism that it vanishes without a trace due to the nature of rentals being disposable on the server end. If there were some way to access the rental after the fact without directly telling you who owned the car, even that could alleviate some of the frustration I'm reading about. An unregistered car will be driven again unless ditched with effort, a stolen car will have prints unless cleaned, a registered car has a name or address; rentals have none of those.

It doesn't have to be an all-out ban, but some give and take with criminal investigations to make it feel like they're not chasing a ghost feels fair.

That is more or less the issue, that Rental cars do not have the ability to keep investigation going since it just despawns with out any traces. Someone already suggested that a record in the MDC would be kept who rented what can when and Rental cars get a unique Rental Plate which can be tied to someone when he rents it.

Edited by Vash Baldeus
8 minutes ago, OhSoFly said:

Rental vehicles are used for crime in real life, and if law enforcement are able to pin the crime to the rental then they will have access to all the GPS data the rental company would have collected.

Except that doesn’t happen here. Rental cars can’t have anything pinned to them. They are temporary by nature and thus have zero information attached to them. 

Edited by 99