Disallow the useage of RENTAL cars for commiting crime.

57 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Actually, no. They do not run any background checks because it's a waste of time. Most of rental companies place GPS/other trackers in their vehicles, so that they can be retrieved + they'd usually ask you to surrender something in collateral (i.e. leave your passport). That's why it's very favored by criminals, because with the usage of fake ID cards they can easily gain access to vehicles, that cannot be directly traced back to them.

Which doesn't happen on this server, hence making it far easier for criminals to do crime.

• Upvote 1
Just now, DasFroggy said:

I'm literally an established car thief ingame. It's fair to say that I have a bias because I supply affordable stolen cars for criminal activities, but if you're just going to assume I hate criminals...

You still haven't provided any evidence, either. I've been able to back up all of my points, yet all you have is "SUPPOSEDLY it should be allowed because I think people are doing it right, trust me." as a counter.

When you provide some evidence to back up your claims instead of empty reassurances and baseless assumptions, your contributions will be acknowledged as a more than "spitting out madness."

It is. It's also likely that the current criminal use of rentals is against the rules right now. If you see it, record and forum report it.

Once again. It is you who is unable to get their facts straight and instead of telling people what's rulebreaking, perhaps focus on your own roleplay & stop telling others what to do.

Just now, i dont wanna od in LA said:

... perhaps focus on your own roleplay & stop telling others what to do.

Because you told me to? 

No.

I'll keep contributing to the discussion here. You're free to continue rambling as well.

Also, if it isn't against the rules, the staff will say so in the reports. There's nothing to fear if you aren't breaking the rules.

Just now, DasFroggy said:

Because you told me to? 

No.

I'll keep contributing to the discussion here. You're free to continue rambling as well.

Also, if it isn't against the rules, the staff will say so in the reports. There's nothing to fear if you aren't breaking the rules.

And again under which rule does it fall if you'd like to enlighten me?

10 minutes ago, arandomgamer said:

Which doesn't happen on this server, hence making it far easier for criminals to do crime.

There honestly should just be an automatic name tied to the vehicle unless the player can present evidence that they used a stolen ID and an active (not reported) credit card as the bare minimum to void their name being discovered.

As it is currently, the intent behind this criminal use of rentals is purely to deny any chance for investigative roleplay.

Edited by DasFroggy

You could have each rental vehicle generate a randomized license plate (from different format of normal plates to avoid possible duplicates with rental and owned) and save general information like the player's name, time they rented it, etc. to address the de-spawning issue but it wouldn't solve how to prove the name (ID card) used to rent it real or not without MGing or proper screenshots/logs of them using stolen/fake ID/credit card.  I don't think making a rule to not allow rentals to be used is the right approach since it does happen plenty irl.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, heat465 said:

You could have each rental vehicle generate a randomized license plate (from different format of normal plates to avoid possible duplicates with rental and owned) and save general information like the player's name, time they rented it, etc. to address the de-spawning issue but it wouldn't solve how to prove the name (ID card) used to rent it real or not without MGing or proper screenshots/logs of them using stolen/fake ID/credit card.  I don't think making a rule to not allow rentals to be used is the right approach since it does happen plenty irl.

I've actually not heard much of crimes being committed with rental cars, and I work in a security role where we are expected to track that information locally. The criminal misuse of assets is literally part of the weekly brief to ensure the safety and security of our posting.

That said, it's possible that a condition for voiding the info could be attached, specifically if they roleplayed acquiring stolen/forged identification, and a matching stolen (but not reported) credit/debit card.

You're right though, we shouldn't ban the use of rentals for crime, but we should definitely change how it works so that it's not just an easy meta solution to deny investigation roleplay and get away with crime easy.

13 minutes ago, heat465 said:

This,

It's reasonable enough for them to be using fake IDs and cards to rent a car and then do something illegal in it.

The server's problem is that the cars completely vanish and there's no consequence, nothing traceable, and no investigation into who rented the car from the rental company, no documents to inspect (the ones scanned and kept for record), and no CCTV of the person who walked in to rent that car.

A good fix for this is to randomize all rental car plates and log character names with the specific car rented, as something PD/SD can access if they open an investigation into who rented the car. And then they can PM the person asking if they used fake names or their own picture in the falsified license. Obviously, they should keep the proof of the rp too..

I have to guess that 70% of the people using rentals for crime right now aren't doing anything more in depth than an emote about renting a car using a fake ID. And they probably don't have an actual fake ID item for it either.