How did you 'improve' as a roleplayer?

books

2 hours ago, bonk said:

Stuff in red is laughable. It has no correlation whether if you're a good roleplayer or not, it's nitpicking. Mostly right though. 

If you're making shootout videos you usually view that as the highlight of your gaming experience and the epitome of fun in role playing human lives. People that get drawn to the game through shootout compilations, as opposed to creative writing and role playing, are usually newbies. Go on YouTube and scroll through the random [GTA: World] shootout videos with all the gangsters headshotting cops and running in circles shooting up neighborhoods, look at who's behind them, and usually it'll be someone with the mindset I described. Bootlickers IRL only RPing as cops isn't much different than my other examples and their role playing range is probably as big as Bruce Willis' acting range. Knowing how much buttons deputies have on their shirt, or what internal processes are like, doesn't automatically translate into the ability of skillfully portraying the life of an adult with a career in law enforcement -- being adept at role playing does. Talking to people on voice chat just puts role playing in the background and makes you focus less on writing, plus there's a ton of shitty factions in history that were banned/closed for it, or casually invited in metagaming. If you're let's say 28 years old and you don't have your shit together to the point where you can't get along with most groups you partake in, it's certain the shitty attitude will show through mixing IC/OOC via a character at some point.

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, Gecko said:

If you're making shootout videos you usually view that as the highlight of your gaming experience and the epitome of fun in role playing human lives. People that get drawn to the game through shootout compilations, as opposed to creative writing and role playing, are usually newbies. Go on YouTube and scroll through the random [GTA: World] shootout videos with all the gangsters headshotting cops and running in circles shooting up neighborhoods, look at who's behind them, and usually it'll be someone with the mindset I described. Bootlickers IRL only RPing as cops isn't much different than my other examples and their role playing range is probably as big as Bruce Willis' acting range. Knowing how much buttons deputies have on their shirt, or what internal processes are like, doesn't automatically translate into the ability of skillfully portraying the life of an adult with a career in law enforcement -- being adept at role playing does. Talking to people on voice chat just puts role playing in the background and makes you focus less on writing, plus there's a ton of shitty factions in history that were banned/closed for it, or casually invited in metagaming. If you're let's say 28 years old and you don't have your shit together to the point where you can't get along with most groups you partake in, it's certain the shitty attitude will show through mixing IC/OOC via a character at some point.

1. Safe to say it's exhilarating to be in a shootout. People want to make interesting videos and draw views, that's what will get them views. As long as they're not seeking shootouts in order to pump these videos out and every single situation that led to them was organic, then it's fine, you shouldn't have to care.

2. Just because somebody is a "bootlicker" irl and respects the government/police and roleplays that in game doesn't automatically mean they're also a garbage roleplayer. You roleplay concepts because you enjoy those concepts OOCly. If their whole OOC personality isn't "I'm a JROTC, my fathers a cop and uncle is a Marine I'm going into the academy next year, yeah America" then it's nitpicking.

3. I somewhat agree. As long as you don't get distracted on voice from actually roleplaying and you don't metagame, then it's fine. Just because you're on voice with somebody doesn't equate to you being a shitty roleplayer. Hard to believe but a lot of people can roleplay with one another whilst being on voice, I've been doing it in SD for over a year now and had no issues whatsoever.

4. You said if you're in your 20s-30s AND having a shitty attitude, I only highlighted the age part. Just because you're a certain age, that  doesn't disqualify you from being a good roleplayer. 

On 10/19/2021 at 5:00 PM, Gecko said:

You can't be a good role player if (red flags):

You make shootout videos/compilations on YouTube and treat the game in wins/losses.

You role play self-inserts (british players RPing british characters, balkan players RPing only balkan mobsters, jrotc/bootlickers RPing only law enforcement, etc).

You role play the same character with the same name across different servers/games.

You have a "screenshot thread" that consists only of drug/weapon transactions and receiving money, and nothing else.

You're on FaceBrowser more than you're in-game. Or you spend more time editing pictures/screenshots than RPing in-game.

You walk up to a faction member and say "so where's everyone at?"/"so where's the big homie Joker at?"

You talk to the people you're playing with on voice chat while in-game.

You hate other factions because the one you joined beefs with them in-game.

You discuss/nitpick in-game events on Discord or use Discord to gossip about what happened in-game.

You participate in long back and forths on player report threads, showing lack of maturity, restraint, and the skill to resolve issues or not stoop to other people's level.

You're in your 20s/30s and regularly get kicked out of or get in trouble with your factions for OOC drama.

Sureno factions that try to character kill the whole Mexican Mafia faction (shows a lack of understanding of how the organizations work).

If your most typed passive emote is a form of /me nods.

If you do any of the above and stop doing it, you'll probably improve at playing the game for what it's supposed to be.

I do not agree with self-inserts, they CAN be good, but most really aren't. Add scripting roleplay with others, that's the lousiest shit ever, and people only do that to look good on a fucking screenshot.

First put character development on a priority (when I actually understood what it meant and how to do it properly).

Spent countless hours reading and watching videos on how can I make it more realistic, tried to draw ideas from it and I'd say that's what helped me out and the reason why I'm still playing and probably will do for time to go on. It's things that you see that happen IRL that give you the ideas to do ingame (as far as it goes in the realistic levels) and that keep you inspired. I'd say this at least helped me, I'm sure it's similar for others.

On topic tho... I think that one of the ways to improvement is to become more open-minded to things beyond the specifics of your concept.

It's great that you read every article about Cholo culture in Cali that's ever been written, but who are you beyond that? What makes you a different human than the 4-15 other homies who read your guide? What does your character want out of life? What are their quirks, and their guilty pleasures? Favorite food? What kinda movies did they grow up loving?

A lot of these pointless questions together can help you unravel a whole life story for your character, like that Christmas they had with family when their uncle got drunk and told the local Priest to fuck off. It lends itself to building a world around your characters life and add little slices of real life to them to make them feel like actual people.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Wuhtah locked this topic