How did you 'improve' as a roleplayer?

books

Learning to separate OOC and IC is a big factor in improving. You always have to remember that what's happening is happening to your character and not you IRL. I've been RPing for close to 6 years and still ask for constructive criticism on things such as my character's background story, roleplay, etc. Remember there's always room to improve. Start with increasing your vocabulary so you're able to give more informative /me's and /do's. 

Learning to try new character concepts, give them pros and cons with a personality and not some 100% serious gangbanger/mobster or starting as a rich 18 yr old character driving sports cars.

Doing research on certain things is very important to do when creating a character being from a certain environment or ethnic/nationality

Edited by PrinceCane
  • Upvote 1

Experience, time, and observation. That's the way I improved. Truth is, you'll need to surround yourself around other good roleplayers to see where you might lack and can improve on. If you're around people that have poor character development or roleplay in general, you might not see the need to improve, but once you expose yourself to how others roleplay their characters, you'll be amazed at how in-depth some people are. It might inspire an individual to want to be better. I started out on a medium RP server and didn't even know what roleplay was. Eventually, I switched to heavy RP and cringe every time I see videos of the medium RP server I came from. Quite hilarious.

practice makes perfect honestly

find good roleplayers, roleplay with them a lot, learn from them

experiment with different styles of rp - not even just legal/crim/whatever rp, but different styles of writing and of emoting (as long as it's not "/me would"!) i used to rp in past tense for a while, then picked up present tense and like that more. i used to like long emotes and long descriptions, but have since learned that being short and sweet works better for me.

i also used to write big backstories for my characters and make like a list of traits and everything, but honestly now i just think of a character concept and kinda just wing it. if someone brings up my character's backstory in game i'll come up with it and write it down somewhere to be consistent, and as the character develops over time i'll keep his traits in mind. being flexible and able to adapt when you start playing with some good rpers is huge

try to make your character seem more human, too. people don't really realize all the little things that we do that are subtleties in conversation / everyday life but if you can bring them out in a character it makes them feel so much more human. even just adding things like "uhm," "hmm," and pauses/occasional stutters in dialogue can be big. emoting about things like their facial expression/body language/small things like kissing their teeth or biting their lip or whatever all go a long way to make your character seem more real and less robotic, especially when the player models are just these weird stiff looking robots

prioritize character development

it sounds like you already have your head on straight about RP but just in case not: learn to embrace your character losing and recognize that you arguably get more character development from things not going according to plan than vice versa. learn to let go of control a little bit and take things in stride rather than trying to dictate everything that happens to your character like you would if you were writing a novel

and just do what's fun

Edited by ozymandias
20 hours ago, ozymandias said:

try to make your character seem more human, too. people don't really realize all the little things that we do that are subtleties in conversation / everyday life but if you can bring them out in a character it makes them feel so much more human. even just adding things like "uhm," "hmm," and pauses/occasional stutters in dialogue can be big. emoting about things like their facial expression/body language/small things like kissing their teeth or biting their lip or whatever all go a long way to make your character seem more real and less robotic, especially when the player models are just these weird stiff looking robots

prioritize character development

Most important stuff I saw here, yeah ^^ A good character is a sum of small things. Small ticks, small ways of speaking, small reflexes, small incoherences, ... that give more depth than one would think.

The corolarry is also true: if another character has interesting traits, trying to find out more about them is a good way to both help them develop their char, and to develop yours in the process. 

On 10/19/2021 at 9:00 PM, Gecko said:

You can't be a good role player if (red flags):

You make shootout videos/compilations on YouTube and treat the game in wins/losses.

You role play self-inserts (british players RPing british characters, balkan players RPing only balkan mobsters, jrotc/bootlickers RPing only law enforcement, etc).

You role play the same character with the same name across different servers/games.

You have a "screenshot thread" that consists only of drug/weapon transactions and receiving money, and nothing else.

You're on FaceBrowser more than you're in-game. Or you spend more time editing pictures/screenshots than RPing in-game.

You walk up to a faction member and say "so where's everyone at?"/"so where's the big homie Joker at?"

You talk to the people you're playing with on voice chat while in-game.

You hate other factions because the one you joined beefs with them in-game.

You discuss/nitpick in-game events on Discord or use Discord to gossip about what happened in-game.

You participate in long back and forths on player report threads, showing lack of maturity, restraint, and the skill to resolve issues or not stoop to other people's level.

You're in your 20s/30s and regularly get kicked out of or get in trouble with your factions for OOC drama.

Sureno factions that try to character kill the whole Mexican Mafia faction (shows a lack of understanding of how the organizations work).

If your most typed passive emote is a form of /me nods.

If you do any of the above and stop doing it, you'll probably improve at playing the game for what it's supposed to be.

Stuff in red is laughable. It has no correlation whether if you're a good roleplayer or not, it's nitpicking. Mostly right though. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic