How did you 'improve' as a roleplayer?

books

Keep RPing, find people you feel comfortable taking feedback from and just try experimenting a bit. I was really fortunate when I first started, back in like 2009 when a guy I met took me under his wing as basically his retarded little brother and explained the basics to me. 

Oh, and reading helps too - building up your vocabulary / seeing how real writers create characters and things can really up peoples’ perceptions.

I’m still far from the best RPer in the world, but I’d hope that I’ve improved exponentially in the time since I first started RPing. 

You can't be a good role player if (red flags):

You make shootout videos/compilations on YouTube and treat the game in wins/losses.

You role play self-inserts (british players RPing british characters, balkan players RPing only balkan mobsters, jrotc/bootlickers RPing only law enforcement, etc).

You role play the same character with the same name across different servers/games.

You have a "screenshot thread" that consists only of drug/weapon transactions and receiving money, and nothing else.

You're on FaceBrowser more than you're in-game. Or you spend more time editing pictures/screenshots than RPing in-game.

You walk up to a faction member and say "so where's everyone at?"/"so where's the big homie Joker at?"

You talk to the people you're playing with on voice chat while in-game.

You hate other factions because the one you joined beefs with them in-game.

You discuss/nitpick in-game events on Discord or use Discord to gossip about what happened in-game.

You participate in long back and forths on player report threads, showing lack of maturity, restraint, and the skill to resolve issues or not stoop to other people's level.

You're in your 20s/30s and regularly get kicked out of or get in trouble with your factions for OOC drama.

Sureno factions that try to character kill the whole Mexican Mafia faction (shows a lack of understanding of how the organizations work).

If your most typed passive emote is a form of /me nods.

If you do any of the above and stop doing it, you'll probably improve at playing the game for what it's supposed to be.

• Applaud 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic