How did you 'improve' as a roleplayer?

books

the reason i play on roleplay servers is because i enjoy reading fiction, and i do read quite a lot in general

i feel like reading helps my ability to write, but it doesn't help my ability to actually roleplay (i dont get 10 minutes to think over the next sentence, it needs to be near immediate) 

there's a real difference between roleplaying and writing, in that roleplaying almost seems like improv rather than actually writing. i feel like i'm learning all the time, but sometimes i come across character depictions that are so stand-out that i remember how much i still have to learn/improve upon

a lot of people here have been around for a long time in the gta rp scene, so what i'd like to ask is:  how do you think you have improved your roleplay over this time? what specifically have you learned, or what experiences did you have that you learned from?

Experimentation, repetition and preplanning are some key elements, in my opinion, to improving your ability to roleplay effectively. Portraying different types of characters over a long period of time will help separate your character from yourself, and become familiar with different concepts by interacting with various groups of people. Preplanning defining character traits as well as a short background story to start your character may prove useful, as opposed to just winging it.

I joined my first SA-MP roleplay server in 2007, and for a number of years after that I essentially displayed little to no character development, simply looking for action or roleplay scenarios in game. Over the years, I began portraying emotions in game that my character would experience, rather than my own OOC emotions for example, the same goes for personality traits, etc. This came about after interacting with many well portrayed characters during this time, and picking up on how they would display emotions, flaws, personal interests and the like which helped mold them into a believable individual, rather than just another avatar on the screen.

With that said, I do agree that there is an element of improv to GTA roleplay, and as such others may naturally excel at it more than others, however that is not to say that not anyone can develop and portray and interesting and realistic character. 

Edited by Barker
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1

From someone who was subjected to Legal RP for the past 8 years, It was a hard adjustment moving into illegal RP, but I knew it had to be done. I recall joining one of @sage's MC's during my first week on the Server. It was difficult to play a character in which I had no knowledge of playing. Alas, I did it anyway. 

I'd say RP Diversity allowed me to improve my Roleplay exponentially. I've subjected myself to various types, and have found my niche. Sadly, it isn't Illegal RP, but I'm glad I did it anyway! 

If I could offer advice to New Players, it would be to try different things with different characters, see what works for you. Another great way to improve your Roleplay is merely watching how other people RP. The amount of Verbs and Adjectives I use has doubled if not tripled during my time on the server, and it's watching what other people do / say. This gives me, as the player, inspiration or allow me to do it myself in different scenarios! 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Roleplaying is being an actor in the "world" we inhabit, you're there to put on a show as your character and to do that effectively you need to keep up with the environment around you while also being enjoyable to interact with. Any other roleplay environment and I would say being a better writer than an "actor" would be preferable but here I feel it's all about reacting quickly to the situations you're faced with while also being aware of your surroundings and the players you're in contact with.

What I'm attempting to say while slurring and dribbling all over myself here is the best roleplayers on these types of servers are swift in their responses, both in "speech" and through emotes. If you want to improve as a roleplayer in this environment start by working on your response times, a player who takes half an hour to respond to situations going on around them are never fun to play with, no matter the quality of their writing. 

3 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Any other roleplay environment and I would say being a better writer than an "actor" would be preferable but here I feel it's all about reacting quickly to the situations you're faced with while also being aware of your surroundings and the players you're in contact with.

Very well said. I second this.

Roleplaying, it's a matter of oiling the cogs. Try different concepts, many people have different standards and opinions — Come with yours.

& don't stick to a "character development plan" and let your character's genuine interractions shape them.

I'm still mediocre at best, tbh, but it's about doing your best with the available resources. I don't have the time nor the same patience as I used to.

Edited by meltcity
  • Wuhtah locked this topic