[LSNN] ULSA hosts LGBTQ+ panel: Hate speech, free speech and State Senate bills

5yHwzO3.png

ULSA hosts LGBTQ+ panel: Hate speech, free speech and State Senate bills

Issues about hate speech, student safety, and State Senate bills dominated ULSA’s recent LGBTQ+ panel hearing

YWjyVuN.jpg

By PHOEBE HOLTER

Los Santos, SA - A panel made up of state government and ULSA representatives, including State Superintendent Marty Haney and Vice-Chancellor of Student Affairs Charlotte Dunois convened on Sunday as ULSA students, their family members, and ULSA faculty members fielded questions about LGBTQ+ issues at the college.

Proceedings began with the panel addressing a series of prepared questions that were anonymously submitted beforehand. This was then followed by an open question session where those in attendance directly spoke about their concerns with the panel members. 

A recurring theme among the broad number of topics discussed related to slurs, hate speech, and how the college protects its LGBTQ+ students from harassment and abuse. “Are homophobic insults considered free speech? Is "this is a free country" a valid defense?” One such question asked.

“It depends, very much. ULSA specifically, however, is private property and therefore we have disallowed such an event occurring,” Charlotte Dunois replied as the panel took turns in answering the question. “We have specific values and ideas we like to keep and promote. Such insults are taken very seriously and handled via our Disciplinary Board if and when the incident is able to reach such a point.”

“Unfortunately, our Supreme Court hasn't always had the guts to do what is right. As of right now, slurs are considered free speech. It is my personal belief that they should be illegal. There is no reason someone should ever be allowed a freedom that then infringes on others' existence. And while our Supreme Court may not be interested in stepping up to the plate, as Vice-Chancellor Dunois has stated: we are.” - Meredith Lange, attending the panel as a faculty representative 

While the other answers from those in the panel varied, the general message that homophobic insults should not be tolerated on campus was shared by all panel members.

UeaGDXs.png

ULSA campus

Seeing that message enforced, according to a panel member who is a member of the Student Union, can prove to be difficult for those who face abuse: “If you send in a complaint about it, you'll get a nice email from the chancellor saying we from ULSA deeply apologize, but without audio and video evidence, no matter how many witnesses or complaints you got, we'd rather ignore it." 

Superintendent Haney responded to this comment by mentioning the ongoing work to create the State’s Education Code, which will codify student’s rights in the state. “I understand her frustration and it is exactly why I'm in the position I'm in - to assist students when they feel like their interests aren't met,” Superintendent Haney explained. ”While I cannot confirm or deny her statement, I can assure her that we, at the Department of Education, have already began working on the Education Code which will enforce, by law, regulations, and rules regarding the freedoms students here in our state have, alongside other mandatory expectations that the government wishes to see from public institutions.”

Questions were also asked of Superintendent Haney in relation to his support of two bills currently in the process of going through the State Senate. The two bills, both proposed by Senator Diana Jones’ (D), are the State Handling of Hate Crimes Act (which is currently being voted on by the Senate) and the second being the Organized Crime Control Act (which is imminently due a Senate vote after passing the committee stage).

“I am in full support for the legislation, And as I mentioned here earlier, we've already begun work on the Education Code... which will ensure all students are treated fairly” - Superintendent Marty Haney in relation to the State Handling of Hate Crimes Act

“I don't believe in overuse of regulation unless it is truly needed to protect the interests of the state or the people and their well-being. Not to mention, regulations can be a burden on the government, and locking up individuals for carrying some marijuana on them, or for partaking in professional intercourse is not only a waste of funds that can go elsewhere but also a waste of time. I'm sure we can all agree there are more dangerous criminals roaming out in the streets of Los Santos.”  - Superintendent Marty Haney in relation to the Organized Crime Control Act, specifically in regards to a question asking for him to support removing prostitution from one of the crimes in the bill 

EKX5FJw.png

Panel members at the event

Towards the end of the session, criticism was levied at the panel by a student present for what they saw as a lack of LGBTQ+ representation. “On this panel about the LGBTQ+ community, there is only one member of that community on the board, and she was never supposed to even be there,” the student said, referencing that the Student Union member of the panel was actually a replacement. “Why did you collectively decide not to include someone who actually knows what it's like to be us?”

Superintendent Haney answered the question by explaining that the current panel is not permanent and that members of the LGBTQ+ community who were due to appear on it at this event had to cancel, but due to the urgency and importance of the issue (in his words: “it was important for me to hear your opinions as soon as possible”), they chose to hold the panel session with replacements.

“The original plan didn't revolve around the four of us, but others - who are in fact part of the community, unfortunately they had to cancel, and instead of postponing, we decided to proceed with different speakers. This is not the final panel, whether it's on LGBTQ issues or other ones.” - Superintendent Marty Haney

The session concluded after. It is understood that additional similar panels will be held soon, with a follow-up hearing on Sunday taking place to give ULSA students and faculty members the chance to share their experiences with discrimination. 

DhaTalJ.png

ULSA campus, at the main entrance

In a statement to LSNN, Superintendent Haney thanked those who attended the event and explained its personal importance to him: “First of all, I would like to thank everyone who participated in the LGBTQ Panel. Here in academia, and in the world of education in general, we learn how to think critically and open our minds to new ideas to discuss and, yes, - even to debate when we strongly believe in something.” He went on to reflect on the information he’d received during the session. “I have gotten important feedback from ULSA's students, and it does seem like we have a serious issue, which must be addressed. Thanks to the information we got, a follow-up event to host hearings of discriminatory actions against ULSA community members will take place this Sunday.”

“When I entered the position of State Superintendent, I made it clear that I would strive to improve education and student rights in San Andreas - I plan to deliver on that. We have already begun working on some issues that were presented to us, and we hope that students across the state will feel the positive change we aim to bring real soon.” - Superintendent Marty Haney

2OyH6Zd.png

Comments are enabled

Username:

Comment:

• Applaud 1

Username: Bundlez85

Comment: I respect that they respect Property Rights and such. But, this is not a restaurant or a bloodclat bar. This is a UNIVERSITY! You preach education and expression but ban youths from practicing their religious freedom. Let people preach against the LGTBQ disease and you can counter-argue them things! Don't have to censor people like it's bloodclat Communist China! 

Username: RedPillAdultBaby

Comment: Why does USLA not permit the wearing of adult diapers (Poop and all) on campus? I think it discriminates against me (An adult baby) yet Nobody cares unless it get them vote. Respect Adult Baby Rights. #AdultBaby #RedPillBros #Shit