Police interrogation before arrest.

burst

Just now, Sush said:

I'd like to add too that 90% of the people I arrest have to logout the millisecond the cuffs go on so I don't think most people would appreciate me holding them in game for like 3 hours while we interrogate and interview them.

another thing to add, no one commits crimes worth the time and effort of interviewing and interrorgating.

• Upvote 2

I played a Detective for a good bit. Maybe a year.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've had a good interrogation. It's either a hardened Navy Seal that I'm interrogating or they just refuse to role play any emotion/doubt/nervousness.  I lie about a ton of stuff ICly, be it CCTV or whatever, and it hardly ever illicit a human response.

And to touch on above, everyone either has to log, or when you lock them up to investigate they complain OOCly and get upset with you.

Edited by Zach..
  • Upvote 5

Two of my characters have been interrogated before regarding incidents, both I feel were good roleplay for both myself and the detective, though I do know that detectives do already have a lot of work to deal with, and I feel it only fair that they be allowed to do this at their own discretion, there's simply too many people being arrested and not enough detectives to keep up with something like this.

On 7/15/2021 at 11:31 AM, burst said:

In real life, In the moment you're getting arrested , they are putting you in interrogation,  not In jail.

This is just false. Not everyone gets interrogated, it depends on what you did. I'm not gonna bother interrogating someone on evasion if I have ten minutes of dashcam footage , where they clearly evaded. It's the same thing in real life. Sometimes an interrogation yields little to no benefit. If you steal a bike in Los Angeles, the odds of you being interrogated are nil because of how busy the police are. 

Adding to this, in the United States you can be held for up to 48 hours without a formal charge being brought against you. Technically it can be as far as 72 hours depending on if there is a weekend or holiday. 

Not trying to bash you here but I don't think you grasp enough knowledge of how laws and law enforcement work in the United States. Suspects are investigated as seen fit by police in order to gather enough evidence for a conviction. If an interrogation is not needed for said conviction, then why waste the officers time. 

• Upvote 4
On 7/15/2021 at 11:31 AM, burst said:

In real life, In the moment you're getting arrested , they are putting you in interrogation,  not In jail.

Also, people who claimed that they're not guilty , have to wait about 2-3 weeks? for the court.

In such a point, It's better to say you're guilty. 

Another thing , Like I said and that's the main idea.

People who don't have decisive convictions against tem. shouldn't waiting for the court or even be under arrest.

And rn they're sitting more than the guility people, Is it fair? No, Does it match to reality? Absolutely not.

In real life, you are charged and await a court date in county JAIL where you are either held without bail or released on bond. Interrogations do not happen in every real life arrest, nor do they here and should not be forced on every arresting officer to do because it’s simply a waste of time if it’s not needed. An example of this; if an officer saw you shoot someone, or commit a crime right in front of them, why do they need to interrogate you? The facts are clear, not every case and crime needs an interrogation. Many people are interrogated if there is something that needs further investigation, if detectives have a case file against you, or if officers decide not to press charges until there is more evidence gathered. If you feel like you were arrested unjustly and plea not guilty, hire a lawyer and go through the court process. If you don’t want to wait for your case to finish, plea No Contest and you will serve our your time and be released where you have up to 30 irl days to appeal your charges in court while not being stuck in jail. Court cases on average do not take 2-3 weeks, unless you are not responding to your lawyer or things asked of you, or if there is a major case with a lot of evidence and argument to be done.

Edited by mattmocz

I'm sorry, but like... this "issue" is IC. It can be handled entirely ICly, as there are means to do so. If someone's sitting in jail awaiting arraignment, or hasn't been arraigned, then... get a lawyer, get them to file habeas corpus. Once the judge determines that cause exists for the detention, then, well... tough titty, keep waiting.

The LEO RPers in this server will mostly do what their character needs to do to secure convictions. If an interrogation is required, then, it will be done. But literally the vast majority of crimes on this server do not need any sort of interrogation, nor are most of the characters worth interrogating. This also applies IRL - as arrests are commonly done without a full-on, in-station interrogation unless Officers feel like there's more evidence to be gained from talking to the person, or if they feel they want a confession - though both of those largely rely on the crime actually being serious enough to event warrant investigation.

On 7/16/2021 at 2:47 AM, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Happens way too rarely because cops aren't even bothered with bringing evidence or confessions that would uphold in court. Right now it's enough if they only provide a dashcam narrative and an arrest report lol

Honestly, this. As a PD roleplayer, I totally agree.

I think that its mainly just a problem of time and resources though, I'd be down to encourage In-Character questioning ALOT more and have been trying to do it more frequently recently to have more roleplay with people I end up arresting than just "You're under arrest you have the right to blah blah" and then "Bring that up to court, nothing I can do" the moment they tell me one of the charges is incorrect. But like, at the end of the day, I don't see how it'd be possible to have people be willing to sit down and go through questioning that usually takes up a good 40+ minutes (If there's no actual evidence of them conducting the crime, that is), taking into account the fact sometimes you need to have multiple players present and online.

At the end of the day though, I can only see this done in certain situations, with the complete majority of situations being the same as they are right now, someone gets arrested, LEOs have evidence and submit it to court, which is where everything ends up being decided. 

Edited by HaminLord
1 minute ago, HaminLord said:

Honestly, this. As a PD roleplayer, I totally agree.

I think that its mainly just a problem of time and resources though, I'd be down to encourage In-Character questioning ALOT more and have been trying to do it more frequently recently to have more roleplay with people I end up arresting than just "You're under arrest you have the right to blah blah" and then "Bring that up to court, nothing I can do" the moment they tell me one of the charges is incorrect. But like, at the end of the day, I don't see how it'd be possible to have people be willing to sit down and go through questioning that usually takes up a good 40+ minutes (If there's no actual evidence of them conducting the crime, that is). 

I absolutely see your point, but there are several instances where interrogations should of taken place, yet were delayed and eventually shoved into the court system. I think this is also partially responsible for the criminal justice system being clogged up with pointless cross-examinations.

1 minute ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I absolutely see your point, but there are several instances where interrogations should of taken place, yet were delayed and eventually shoved into the court system. I think this is also partially responsible for the criminal justice system being clogged up with pointless cross-examinations.

I can't speak for others, but I'd always be down to sit down and do questioning with someone, but at the end of the day, getting a proper questioning session in with all involved parties being able to sit down for a good bit and roleplay is hard, which is why I think that ultimately doing court RP is the best way to manage this.

• Wuhtah locked this topic