"Explain yourself" policy.

Jeroen

1 minute ago, Jax said:

Don't care if it's blatant rule breaking, we give everyone 48h and a fair chance to respond to the report. 
No one is getting special treatment, sometimes it feels like people get too angry and just want to see someone get punished.
But punishing is not the main thing we aim for, we aim to teach people, help them understand what they did wrong and that they don't repeat that behavior.

Which is why an "explain yourself" policy isn't a punishment. It is only a punishment for those who refuse to explain themselves.

4 minutes ago, Jax said:

Don't care if it's blatant rule breaking, we give everyone 48h and a fair chance to respond to the report. 
No one is getting special treatment, sometimes it feels like people get too angry and just want to see someone get punished.
But punishing is not the main thing we aim for, we aim to teach people, help them understand what they did wrong and that they don't repeat that behavior.

I honestly think the fair chance has been given and the multiple 48h have passed. Dont see this as toxicity or whining, just giving you an exemple of a fellow admin that seemingly doesnt agree with you.

Edited by ThatDutchPerson
On 7/16/2021 at 2:53 PM, PeopleKind said:

If you know you fucked up, ignoring the report entirely will just give you a harsher punishment. Admitting your fault and recognizing it will grant you more leniency in regards to punishments, as has been demonstrated by administrators on numerous occasions. Ignoring the report does nothing but give off the impression that you simply don't care.

I've seen people get firm warnings over rather bad rulebreaks (DM, PG, etc etc) simply because they admitted fault, recognized their mistake and showed remorse for it when reported. 

Attitude and behavior towards the aftermath of your mistakes is nearly always the key factor in what punishment you receive.

This. And on top of it, if people repeatedly ignore reports on them then the evidence of it stacks up, and so do harsher punishments, so its not like someone is able to do this forever. The system is fine the way it is in my opinion, situations could happen in life that are unavoidable too where they're not able to respond in time, while that is more of a rare situation it could surely happen. 

8 minutes ago, Jax said:

But punishing is not the main thing we aim for, we aim to teach people, help them understand what they did wrong and that they don't repeat that behavior.

There is a difference between giving someone a moment to realize on their mistakes and provide a teaching moment versus someone actively ignoring a forum report and still utilizing the game/forums. I mentioned Hoggit earlier because say you CANT respond for whatever reason to a report? They will keep that in mind and they can usually track that via you just not being around reddit/forums/the game in general. If someone is actively hopping on, ignoring notifications of a report with evidence that will bring an admin to a default punishment, they clearly do not care that their actions have a consequence and will rely on that admin going "okay have a 30 minute ajail." That's not a "we're a teaching server" moment, that's a player not acknowledging their own actions and will very likely be back in the report sections soon again.

People putting one report on blast just because an admin is giving them time since they didn't log in is quite petty. I don't see that as anyone receiving special treatment. Every admin is responsible for what punishments (or even leniency) they issue out. That's why we do our best to be thorough and remain within a reasonable balance as to not excessively punish anyone, or punish anyone without a full story. Admins will punish most people after the 48 hour mark if there's compelling evidence to do so. Sometimes, hearing the player out is required. Otherwise, it is only fair that they're given a chance to speak.

People will be banned should there be a justifiable reason for it with compelling evidence to do so and/or the admin history to back it up whether or not they respond.

Having to explain yourself in reports only works in your own favor at the end of the day. If a player refuses to co-operate with admins, then the handling admin can just make a decision based on what they have and take into account that the player refused to reply. At the end of the day, that player would still be punished due to that behavior and what they've done.

Permanently banning players who refuse to co-operate with admins or answer reports isn't the way to go, they can just be punished normally and the player who reported them can receive their refund, etcetera.

However, if a player replies and seem to be interested in the report, then the admin can just work with them and make their own decision based on the context of the situation. I don't really see a benefit here with this other than scaring players and driving them away from the community, which goes against the educational style of game administration in this community.

I can tell you from my own experience that harsh punishments kill communities off and have no long term benefit. Repeat offenders are easy to spot.

On 8/24/2021 at 10:04 PM, ThatDutchPerson said:

I honestly think the fair chance has been given and the multiple 48h have passed. Dont see this as toxicity or whining, just giving you an exemple of a fellow admin that seemingly doesnt agree with you.

That's nothing, this report is from July

These people who don't care should be banned or ajailed for weeks, to be honest.

P.S: I'm not blaming the admin, it's not his fault.

Edited by Jennie