[LSNN] Judge Cyril Regas: "If you know a lethal injection is waiting for you if you pull that trigger, you will think twice about it."

5yHwzO3.png

Y8l4IDT.png

Judge Cyril Regas: "If you know a lethal injection is waiting for you if you pull that trigger, you will think twice about it."

BY DENNIS SIDWELL

Los Santos, SA - On 12th July 2021, the LSNN team conducted an interview with Judge Cyril Regas. This is the written version of the interview which was held on air, in the LSNN studio.

wfz3A1c.png

Dennis Sidwell and Cyril Regas in the studio

Dennis Sidwell: Mister Regas, welcome to the LSNN studio! It's a pleasure to talk to you on air.

Cyril Regas: It is my pleasure to be here, in such an amazing platform that reaches so many ears across our wonderful San Andreas. Thank you for inviting me, Mister Sidwell.

Dennis Sidwell: Cyril, we will talk about legal matters, but let's first hear, who is Cyril Regas privately, away from the court chambers? What are your hobbies?

Cyril Regas: I like to consider myself a simple man. I try to enjoy the beautiful world God has given us, be it sailing, getting away from the noise of the city, and I will remark that our shores are incredible, or sitting in the cockpit of a little aircraft I have and just getting to watch everything from a different point of view. It gives you perspective, of how little we are as individuals, but how great we are as a society.

Dennis Sidwell: When it comes to your career, it is worth mentioning that you've built a very successful career in San Andreas. You started out as a private attorney and a public defender. From there on, you continued as a part of the District Attorney's office. Deputy District Attorney, Director of the Administrative Bureau. And now you're a Judge. At this point, with all the experience you've gathered in the field, do you consider yourself capable enough to teach about legal matters, to share your knowledge? Furthermore, which position was the one that you preferred the most?

Cyril Regas: That is a very difficult question, it really is. Every single position I've held meant a lot to me. When I worked both as public defender and as private attorney, I used to say - "Private work fills my wallet, and public work fills my soul". Being a defense attorney is thrilling, it's something difficult to define with words. Then, being a prosecutor has given me insight, of what every case means for the victim, why Justice needs to be served. Also, talking about teaching and sharing knowledge, the position as Director of the Administrative Bureau was for a big part, teaching the new prosecutors. Along with the District Attorney Bradley Morgan, we founded the Los Santos District Attorney's Academy, with the motto - "Crafting the prosecutors of tomorrow". So well, I have indeed been teaching for a good part of my career. And now as Judge, I was asked to serve, my experience was valued, Chief Justice Vincent Schroeder contacted me and here I am. Which one is my favourite? I could not possibly choose, I am glad I got to experience our amazing judicial branch as I did. 

Dennis Sidwell: I've always imagined that being a Judge can be a difficult job. You have the legal authority to put a criminal away, based on your law knowledge. It is all up to you and the law in one court case. But then again, it is not a simple process. There's many humans involved in one court case. Does it ever get difficult to punish, knowing that the person might spend years in a correctional facility? Seeing as you're specialized in criminal law. I'm aware that your position requires of you to base your decisions on facts, and not emotions, but allow me to ask you directly. Does it ever get emotional for you, long after you've left the chambers or the courtroom for the day?

Cyril Regas: As a Judge I haven't had a case I would deem as emotional yet, but let me put this clearly. Every single person deserves a fair treatment, be that fair treatment a compensation for the pain they suffered, or severe punishment. As Judge, I just interpret what I believe to be the wish of the people. It is the people the one who elect representatives, and those representatives the ones who pass laws. I just make sure that those laws are applied in the way I think they were meant to be applied when voted, according to the context and situation. I have not once felt bad for putting a criminal behind bars, or for letting a defendant that was not proven guilty walk free. There is only one emotion involved. I feel proud, that's the one. I go home after a hard case, many nights thinking what the fair decision is. And I enjoy knowing I served this country as best as I could. It makes me feel proud, and grateful. 

Dennis Sidwell: Let's talk about punishment versus rehabilitation.

Cyril Regas: That's one of the best questions, for sure. We have to look at the facts. One of the most effective judicial systems in the world is the one of the nordic countries, Sweden, Norway. Rehabiliation-based systems. They have one of the lowest rates of recidivism and that means something, but I am also in favor of punishment as a deterrent for hard criminals. If you know a lethal injection is waiting for you if you pull that trigger, you will think twice about it. So, as usual for most questions, the perfect answer is right in the middle. Rehabilitation for those who can and wish to be rehabilitated. But some people are beyond salvation, Dennis. Some people are beyond salvation, and that's something you can't forget. If you murder someone, if you do horrid crimes, I will never be in favor of giving you a nice cell and organize games for you to feel included.

Dennis Sidwell: You've mentioned a lethal injection. What about cases where death penalty is given, then years later, turns out the person has been innocent? You can always release an innocent person from prison and try to compensate as much as possible with money, but a person who has been given a lethal injection can't be brought back.

Cyril Regas: The judicial system will never be perfect. Capital punishment should definitely be handled with extreme care. But, can money actually compensate a person who lost twenty years in a prison? The best years of their life? We have to balance the benefits and the drawbacks. If we see that having capital punishment as a possibility reduces horrid crimes, in exchange of one in a million cases where a person is punished wrongfully. Maybe capital punishment existing will save the lives of a hundred before wrongfully taking the life of an innocent. It is a sensitive topic, but it can be refined if handled with care.

Dennis Sidwell: Do you prefer criminal or civil court?

Cyril Regas: If you look at my record, it's clear. I have probably handled nearly a hundred criminal cases, and just one or two civil ones. Criminal is just more interesting, in my opinion, and there is more at stake. I received many offers of companies back in the day, who wanted a civil lawyer, but criminal courts are thrilling, if one can use that word in such a field. 

Dennis Sidwell: After such a long experience as Judge, is there something that you regret?

Cyril Regas: I wouldn't change a thing. I am really happy with every step I've taken in my career. I am not a person that tends to regret anything, you know? Even failures, be it personal or professional. Every success and every fail made me who I am today. 

Dennis Sidwell: Two things, Cyril. I wanted to ask you, can you share an anecdote from the courtroom? But allow me to share a personal anecdote connected to you. Earlier today, in my neighborhood, one of my neighbors asked me who's my next guest in my show, visibly curious. She's my first neighbor. When I told her that it's you, she asked me to tell you that she's a fan and wanted me to ask, how do you deal with the obvious love-related increased attention on you since you've become a Judge, and is it hard to find love as a Judge? 

Cyril Regas: Dennis, I am sure you are drawing more attention than me here, you are the one who probably has a queue outside your doorstep waiting for an opportunity! And an anecdote... I got one, maybe not the most interesting but can you imagine having defended, prosecuted, and then judged the same person? That has happened to me. I was appointed public defender for this guy, one of my first cases, got him out free. Then, he happened to be one of the first cases I prosecuted, and I put him behind bars and then he was also one of the first cases I handled as Judge. And he ended behind bars again... so yeah, I guess I "owe him one", saved him once, doomed him twice.

Dennis Sidwell: Cyril, let's talk about court cases. Tell me, which court case is your career has been the hardest one so far?

Cyril Regas: Alright, I think I got the answer. The last case of my career as prosecutor, it was a joinder, that is more than one defendant at the same time. It deeply concerned me, both as prosecutor and as citizen, that we had that kind of crime occuring already around a building that was meant to unite the youth of a conflictive area. Provide a safe space. 

Dennis Sidwell: Can you provide us with an expertise on one currect on-going court case per your choice?

Cyril Regas: This decision is an easy one. It couldn't be other than State of San Andreas against Michel Quentin. Does the name ring a bell to you Dennis, Michel Quentin?

Dennis Sidwell: It does, yes.

Cyril Regas: Well, the case has been going for nearly two months already, San Andreas own domestic terrorist... and it's finally coming to an end. We heard the closing arguments of the prosecution and Michel, who, surprisingly decided to represent himself. Barely two days ago. It was surprising, really surprising to hear Michel apologize, you know Dennis? I really took him for a man with firm convictions, aware of what he was doing, and proud of it. At this point, I can say without risking anything, that Justice Goodwater, a Judge I know very well, one of the best in the circuit in my humble opinion, does not have the decision of guilty or not guilty before her, but the decision of issuing or not capital punishment. We heard Michel basically beg for his life in that court yesterday, asking for a "reasonable sentence" and saying he would "appreciate to stay around for his grandchildren". And as usual, he blamed society for a good part of what he did, although he assumed responsibility. Now, let me ask you Dennis, what would you do? Let me remind you and our public the charges. Domestic Terrorism, First Degree Murder, two counts of Conspiracy to First Degree Murder, Kidnapping, Stalking, Torture... and those are not all of them. Most of them against law enforcement officers. Let's say he is declared guilty of everything. What would you do? Capital punishment or life in prison? The prosecution, handled by Deputy District Attorney Cromwell, Director of Special Prosecutions Bureau for the District Attorney's Office suggested life in prison. So, that will probably be the outcome. It would be surprising to see Justice Goodwater give a harsher punishment than the one recommended by the prosecution, specially it being capital punishment.

Dennis Sidwell: Cyril, thank you for coming. It has been a pleasure to talk to you in the studio.

Cyril Regas: It's been my pleasure Dennis, I hope you organize one or two debates about cases in the future and see how the public likes it, maybe invite me again!

Y8l4IDT.png

2OyH6Zd.png

> Comments are enabled

Username: 

Comment:

• Upvote 1