Kidnapping in public / broad daylight with guns

Narco

2 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

I'd give this the benefit of the doubt if I didn't have to explain to a group of muggers that all of my valuables were taken an hour (and two muggings) ago.

At this point I am considering carrying literally nothing of value but a single note to reference having nothing of value. It'll make the muggings much easier and it's a practical IC solution...

...but something needs to be done about the escalation from petty theft to kidnapping and manslaughter charges somehow seeming like an a-okay go-to means to make up for getting nothing from a victim. That tactic is already draining people from the streets fast.

That's basically what I do now as there is no other real solution. My inventory is always empty, I always have less than $100 on my person, and my property has zero items in it. Still doesn't stop people from trying though

38 minutes ago, wizardofxyz said:

Anecdotal but still:
I definitely see way too many masked up goons with dufflebags on dirt bikes or cars in broad daylight just looking for their next mark, which is more than likely as a result of boredom. It's just not fun and way too non-roleplay, imo. I thought there were already rules in place that were against 'chain robberies' since it's not a Sunday stroll in the park for someone mentally & emotionally to just rob people like that all the time and risk jail time every time. Not implying that they might be chain robbing in a single day and getting away with it, but the principle behind of why it's not allowed is what I'm talking about. Having a rule of not allowing people to kidnap in broad daylight is pretty unfair though, considering that there are timezones to account for. I don't know if creating an OOC rule such as this would be a good thing, but I think to alleviate some of this is encouraging people to join illegal factions instead, sort of what Law was getting at I think.

Maybe like restricting random kidnapping without proper buildup? Shouldn't be able to just go pull up on a dude walking down the street and kidnap him because he has a duffel bag on or because he's walking alone. It's crappy trying to rp a local or a non-gang member because you have to worry about this exactly 24/7 whenever you walk outside. 

16 minutes ago, Sush said:

That's basically what I do now as there is no other real solution. My inventory is always empty, I always have less than $100 on my person, and my property has zero items in it. Still doesn't stop people from trying though

Most of the excursions I go on normally don't even require money. I'll just have the one note, so that /showinv reveals something rather than it looking like I am hiding something because the command won't work, unless it shows when there is nothing?

Even then, a meta note would be a nice cherry on top, something like a receipt for food, or a mugging rehab group flier. I could probably whip something up in GIMP before the day is done.

"One in three Los Santos Residents is mugged every five minutes. It's okay to reach out. Rehab meetings arranged online."

Edited by DasFroggy

30 minutes ago, Barbie said:

well... it doesn't seem that outlandish to me to be targeted if you're a female walking alone with no situational awareness or adaptation after being robbed and kidnapped 4 times. you can get followed and taken/assaulted ANYWHERE as a female, sadly that's how life is.

That's just not exactly true, though. There are ample areas of major cities where you don't feel afraid like this, because they're rarely empty and most criminals aren't going to risk it without a good reason. Unless you have a stalker or a specific reason to fear it, you don't feel threatened going to the store down the block during the day. We also have random road rage murders and serial killers IRL, and those aren't allowed either. In LS, I am supposed to RP as if the streets are empty all the time, so... are my characters supposed to just not walk outside? Being reasonably afraid of walking somewhere in the dark or in the rough side of town or across a deserted lot, sure? That makes sense. Being afraid of walking down the Santa Monica pier and keeping your head on a swivel while having ice cream? That's just bad portrayal.

I kinda just ignore robberies, sure, take my money, whatever. I just wish they wouldn't waste my time with unrealistic, play-to-win kidnappings.

5 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Except it's not? Criminals are exempt from a pretty simple standard of FearRP, but if a victim so much as pulls a gun on two people before they can get their drawn guns pointed at him, the victim grilled by an admin for FearRP and the muggers/assassins get the immediate benefit of the doubt.

It's an OOC double standard, where if anyone on one side even tries to defend themselves IC, they're punished OOCly for it. It has made the function of a CCW useless, as it simply exchanges IC trouble for OOC problems.

There isn’t a double standard when it comes to following the server rules, I’ve seen IFM warn, a-jail, and even ban a good amount of illegal role-players for not following the server rules. You’re just being biased towards illegal role-players and trying to play the victim here. 

Like I said, it’s an IC issue. PD and SD need to up their patrol if there’s higher levels of crime in certain areas.

3 minutes ago, Shmoe said:

Seems like many people agree with the videos I posted. As they are the said crimes are the same ones spoken about in the topic. That are being committed in broad daylight. I just posted the irl videos for reference instead of spewing multiple paragraphs of bullshit to get my point across. Come correct when you @ me cause you just sounded extremely stupid. Thanks

The IRL videos are reference to things that aren't really being discussed here. They are mostly irrelevant to the point. You just don't know what the point is. You read the words 'broad daylight' and post your little videos like a knee-jerk reaction, like Pavlov's dog that drooled when he heard someone ring a bell. It's a text-based game, so, you know... reading and writing are a thing? Try doing them sometime! Thanks.

40 minutes ago, Sush said:

This should always be taken in-character even if your character doesn't have anything there is always a probable chance that YOU will get robbed. I don't see how this is such a big deal. It's a roleplaying server set in LA County. Crime rates are up.

why do people cry about the obnoxiously high crime rate when i personally never got robbed, kidnapped or attacked on any of my legal/illegal characters as someone that barely ever does interior rp? ive only ever been killed once off duty and that was because i had a hit on me. maybe you guys are too unaware and just really easy targets? i can agree with the fact that yes, there are a lot of goofy ass illegal rpers going about with little to no character development sticking people up, but the crime rate really isnt as high as people claim it is lol. in fact, its one of the main reasons why im starting to get bored of the server personally, because as an leo rper, having next to no crime happen makes the whole experience EXTREMELY tedious and boring.

we should encourage criminal rp because its hurting right now, not inhibit it further and further just to allow people to erp and e-date more easily.

• Upvote 4