Chop-Shop System Revamp

Esc

1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

Besides I said, remove the current list and let players figured out how many carparts they could get from a car, thus making them creating their own lists.

Yes all this does is encourage OOC circle jerks.

6 minutes ago, shotgun_sam said:

Yes all this does is encourage OOC circle jerks.

Why would it? All everyone needs to do is to note how many parts a car they chop can give them. That's all I said. This shouldn't be something you actually know BEFORE you steal a car. That's why I think the car lists as they are, are ridiculous.

Edited by Engelbert

The chopshop system has needed a revamp for a while but it's understandbly not a huge priority for the server. I think the only issue I have with this system is lockpicks being requested through IFM. However it does seem funny to lockpick a car just for car parts to craft a lockpick so you can keep picking cars. It also is funny that if you wanted a steady stream of knives and dusters, you would have to arrange a deal with a mechanic's shop...

Here's my suggestion from a while ago. (Shameless plug)

TL;DR - Car part values are hidden. Modded cars give more car parts. A particular model of car can only be chopped once per cycle to prevent farming. Uninsured cars risk higher insurance rates for being chopped or losing their mods.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't mean to necro this, but it's an interesting suggestion to a system I've actually been involved in. As the system stood back in February, when I last really took part, the amount of parts you get for each vehicle is calculated via the base value of said vehicle. This is why an MTL Pounder won't produce enough for two Switchblades, whereas most sports cars probably could. The realism in that takes some mental bending, but it's not the worst thing. To me it seems Esc's changes would bring the system closer to realism and fresh gameplay loops. 

Having every vehicle be worth some amount of parts is a very good start to stepping towards realism. I would add that stolen vehicles should be able to be sold wholesale for 3% - 5% of their total market value to an NPC location, akin to the base game's Simeon List. Whether this is a revolving list like the original Chop-Shop System, or just open to all vehicles, that's for admins and devs to really decide. But the goal of this is not only supplemental income for these car theft rings, but it also helps muddy the waters for LEOs. If the only people stealing cars are all connected to a chop shop, then it feels kind of dull. But if there are 2 or 3 locations on the map to drop off a stolen car for cash, then suddenly those police chases matter because of an abstract time limit. 

And the major change I would make to Esc's suggestion is to make lockpicks orderable by Pawnshop Owners. If you just let garages handle them, then they're never leaving that circle of car thieves. We already have a similar issue to that with drugs, according to that recent survey. If you allow Pawnshop Owners to order in specialty items like Lockpicks, then they get to hold that unique place in the market as well as dispersing those items out to a wider audience. 

But that's just what I think. Otherwise, yeah, I'd support a change to the system. 

• 2 months later...

I also believe car thieves should be given an option to export stolen vehicles. 

For example, have a daily list available via script of cars in demand that randomize after every server restart, players must steal the cars, clone them and then the script would assign a random container at the port where the car needs to be dropped off for export to Middle East, China, Africa etc. Payouts can be determined on rarity of the vehicle. If there are plenty of them registered in the server you get 1/4 of it's unregistered price as payment. If it is rare and hard to come by, 100% of unregistered value. Also while Gadgets to break into cars should be there. I believe these plus lockpicks should be part of the ifm supplier role. Like we have for guns, we should also have one for illegalstuff such as radar blocker (that can prevent a plate from being read), Police Scanner, (ability to monitor police channels for a limited amount of time.) and lock picks and key coders to steal keys codes for newer cars to start them.

The idea comes from the TV Show Burn Notice episode Hot Spot. The main character is undercover and tasked to prove his skills as a car thief to clone a stolen car. This was his following Dialogue:

• The actual theft of a car isn't difficult. The hard part is selling it once you have it. Between the license, registration, tax records and VIN numbers, it's surprisingly hard to turn a car into cash. The best approach, is to start with clean paperwork on another car from out of state, then match the stolen to the clean paper work. That means new VIN tags and a new registration. And in case someone decides to check closely, some hydrochloric acid and a file will make the etched VIN number on the chassis impossible to read. 

Another thing can be done is that if your car is stolen and chopped, you are given money back (Full unregistered price only to account for depreciation) instead of the car with exact mileage from insurance. Seems more realistic and can create opportunities for insurance fraud rp. 

Just a few thoughts. 🤷‍♂️

• 2 months later...

@Esc - gonna tag you as I've thought quite hard of ways I could add to your suggestion which is something thats needed direly!

• Vehicles are still stolen as they were previously however the item is no longer a lockpick, it's one of the many items that could be used to break into vehicles - see this suggestion for examples https://forum.gta.world/en/topic/61230-remove-lockpicks-entirely-from-the-process-of-stealing-vehicles/
  • Any vehicle in the entire server can be stolen as opposed to a current hot list.
  • Vehicle parts as we know it are no longer used in the same way they are currently; for each vehicle in the entire script you get X amount of parts, these parts can be used by garages instead of them ordering stock, they can be sold to other players which could lead to them getting discounts on upgrades/repairs to their vehicles. These parts roleplay wise would be things such as the catalytic converter, the turbo, the alloys etc. Each one of these items has a stamp etched onto it with the vehicle ID (same one displayed on the UCP), this enables law enforcement if these parts are found to match them up to the vehicle they were stolen from.
  • Completely remove the whole car parts > metal parts > knuckles/blade/lockpick - the system whilst functional is not realistic and certainly doesn’t make any sense RP wise.
  • The vehicle that has been stolen and had the parts cut off now needs to be inoperable for a period of 12hours - the script will not allow the vehicle to be driven and it is essentially broken. (the 12 hours could be increased, it's just a placeholder)
  • The vehicle that's been stolen can have the plate changed on it, this allows for criminals to drive around in the vehicle they’ve stolen with a different plate fitted. If the criminal does change the plate of the vehicle for a 12 hour period this vehicle will remain spawned and immune to the server 3hr despawn, equally when the plate has been changed the player who owns the vehicle can't /vget etc.
  • Upvote 1
  • Kyra locked this topic