Several inconsistencies in the server continuity

The issue with the current compromise is nobody adheres to it, period. I still see applications referencing Liberty City, people mention LC all the time in game. It's honestly too much work to try and correct people on  this fairly minor point. Meanwhile, we also tell people that San Andreas is NOT California, and California history/laws don't apply, which as it has already been mentioned, screws up more stuff than you might expect, especially in the legal department. 

Honestly, I think the most simple approach at this point would be say SA Replaces CA, and adopts all California laws and history up to the establishment of GTAW (2017), any laws not directly conflicting with legislation established ICly on GTAW should revert to California law because we can't possibly make enough laws to cover it all, and any other city famously represented in GTA Lore (not exclusively HD) should go by it's GTA name. 

This would end the confusion in both the legal sense, and the lore sense.

Given the fact that Los Santos by itself is an island and not connected with "the rest of the mainland". In my opinion, it would make more sense to make Los Santos a state of its own and continue with the laws we have right now. California can be re-established into the lore as LS would be it it's own state. Since Vice City is technically Miami then we could say they both exist within Florida and the same thing can happen with Liberty City and New York.

18 minutes ago, Vassilios said:

Given the fact that Los Santos by itself is an island and not connected with "the rest of the mainland". In my opinion, it would make more sense to make Los Santos a state of its own and continue with the laws we have right now. California can be re-established into the lore as LS would be it it's own state. Since Vice City is technically Miami then we could say they both exist within Florida and the same thing can happen with Liberty City and New York.

This is the point I made in my suggestion except San Andreas is a territory instead of a state, so it doesn't mess up the existence of the 50 states.

22 minutes ago, Vassilios said:

It honestly doesn't make any sense. How would it make any sense to have both LS (a counterpart of LA) and LA exist at the same time. Your idea frankly makes no sense at all, so if anything I'd rather just stick to this poor continuity right now rather than rp that LS is a completely separate body from LA.

2 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

How would it make any sense to have both LS (a counterpart of LA) and LA exist at the same time.

The same way China has multiple copycat cities of places like Paris and London. Their Paris replica, Tianducheng, is around 12 square miles of buildings modeled after Paris. There's also the Yujiapu Financial District which is heavily modeled after Manhattan and is approximately 1.5 square miles in size.

Given that the entirety of LS is around 3.4 square miles (2 square miles if you don't count the docks), it's feasible.

And even if these didn't exist, nobody should have to justify it to this extent anyway, because it's a roleplay server and everything here is a complete work of fiction, fudging details and having some creativity isn't going to kill anybody. It seems far better to let LA exist rather than face the mess that we're seeing every time continuity is mentioned. If it was just a suggestion there probably wouldn't be many problems but because it's a concrete rule with so much left up in the air, people are rightfully having mixed opinions on it.

9 minutes ago, shaobadman said:

The same way China has multiple copycat cities of places like Paris and London. Their Paris replica, Tianducheng, is around 12 square miles of buildings modeled after Paris. There's also the Yujiapu Financial District which is heavily modeled after Manhattan and is approximately 1.5 square miles in size.

Given that the entirety of LS is around 3.4 square miles (2 square miles if you don't count the docks), it's feasible.

And even if these didn't exist, nobody should have to justify it to this extent anyway, because it's a roleplay server and everything here is a complete work of fiction, fudging details and having some creativity isn't going to kill anybody. It seems far better to let LA exist rather than face the mess that we're seeing every time continuity is mentioned. If it was just a suggestion there probably wouldn't be many problems but because it's a concrete rule with so much left up in the air, people are rightfully having mixed opinions on it.

Lol no rping a copycat city is literally the worst idea I've heard so far

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Lol no rping a copycat city is literally the worst idea I've heard so far

If you think a 2-3 square mile replicated area with missing cities/neighbourhoods completely replacing a location of almost 5000 square miles is more reasonable than a simple solution that, ironically, sounds silly, then I'll gladly agree to disagree.

34 minutes ago, shaobadman said:

The US isn't China. It's much easier time suspending my disbelief about wonky geography and distances than about this. It just makes no sense socially or historically, it makes no sense to have long-running gangs in a replica city, or political offices, or anything at all.

The distances thing is a normal video game compression, it happens in every game, people should be used to dealing with it.

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2021 at 9:57 PM, shaobadman said:

I personally don't mind it but that's the reason I've seen often in discussions regarding it. When you leave it vague as it used to be when the server started, the biggest problem you'd run into was players disagreeing and some minor awkwardness. But the attempt to nail down the continuity birthed all these threads, which is fine if the team eventually work it out anyway, but I still think it's worth reconsidering the continuity rule.

At this point I feel that the continuity rule should be abolished and remade with a lot of factors taken into consideration, because as I said before it seems incredibly rushed.

21 hours ago, TheSenate said:

Honestly, I think the most simple approach at this point would be say SA Replaces CA, and adopts all California laws and history up to the establishment of GTAW (2017), any laws not directly conflicting with legislation established ICly on GTAW should revert to California law because we can't possibly make enough laws to cover it all, and any other city famously represented in GTA Lore (not exclusively HD) should go by it's GTA name. 

With all due respect, SA already replaces CA, which is why this is such a big mess. 

2 hours ago, hillievonb said:

It just makes no sense socially or historically, it makes no sense to have long-running gangs in a replica city, or political offices, or anything at all.

If as much effort went into creating a proper fictional setting as it does in replacing California, this wouldn't be a problem, but it still wouldn't matter to people who really want it one way and not the other, similar to when people dismissed any feature they didn't like as "too RPG".

2 hours ago, hillievonb said:

The distances thing is a normal video game compression, it happens in every game, people should be used to dealing with it.

It's normal in GTA 5 where the length of a day is 48 minutes and characters refer to distances as such. Trevor doesn't live a few miles out or a five minute drive from Michael, he lives a few hours away in the story.

That's not the case in GTAW. "people should be used to dealing with it" isn't a solution, either.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic