Several inconsistencies in the server continuity

31 minutes ago, jcat said:

I'm not I agree with the policy, I'm only responding to Shao's comment.

Oh I know, my post wasn't directly towards you, it's more of a general comment. I understand that you and I have similar viewpoints on the continuity of the server's universe, but others do not.

It's just a little bit of a mess when real life things are brought into the server's IC environment, but the sources of those things are to be dismissed entirely.

Yeah.  

Here's the thing.  Consider this.

If there's a song called "Hotel California" in the setting, then there must be a band called The Eagles in the setting.

If there's a band called The Eagles in the setting, then there must be a guy called Don Henley in the setting.

If there's a guy called Don Henley in the setting, then everything about his life must be in the setting.  His mom, his dad, all the places they lived, his pet hamster, everything.

That means there's a place called Los Angeles, because Don Henley lived there.

Same thing for all the other guys in The Eagles, and all the studio engineers and the recording studio, and all the concerts that the Eagles played, and everybody who went to those concerts.

See how this gets out of control in ten seconds flat? 

This is why creators need to make their own lore.

2 hours ago, jcat said:

Yeah.  

Here's the thing.  Consider this.

If there's a song called "Hotel California" in the setting, then there must be a band called The Eagles in the setting.

If there's a band called The Eagles in the setting, then there must be a guy called Don Henley in the setting.

If there's a guy called Don Henley in the setting, then everything about his life must be in the setting.  His mom, his dad, all the places they lived, his pet hamster, everything.

That means there's a place called Los Angeles, because Don Henley lived there.

Same thing for all the other guys in The Eagles, and all the studio engineers and the recording studio, and all the concerts that the Eagles played, and everybody who went to those concerts.

See how this gets out of control in ten seconds flat? 

This is why creators need to make their own lore.

All it takes is some suspension of disbelief. What's wrong with saying the title of that song is Hotel San Andreas and that he lived with his family in Los Santos. It really isn't that deep, at this point you're just derailing this thread.

No, I'm not derailing the thread.

I was talking about the consequences of including real life pop culture references in fictional settings, and GTAW is a fictional setting.

Creators, like the admins who are going to set GTAW lore, must be very aware of the consequences of the things they include or it will create continuity problems.

On 7/10/2021 at 10:59 PM, shaobadman said:

One of the first questions on the continuity Q&A was regarding California Love and whether it should be San Andreas Love, and it never really got a yes/no answer, so I assume it's to each user's discretion. Tupac has another hit called To Live And Die In LA and to abide by server rules I'd probably treat it the same way - call it how it is and make no reference to the title as anything other than the title. Just like Hollywood Nights by Bob Seger being on Los Santos Rock Radio.

Did you know one of the modded caps in the game is a baseball cap with “LA” written on it?

inconsistency is truly a staple here. 

1 hour ago, Glitch said:

Did you know one of the modded caps in the game is a baseball cap with “LA” written on it?

inconsistency is truly a staple here. 

I agree that it's also pretty inconsitent, however I also do see & understand why it's used. I just feel like the continuity team finally has to do something. All those posts and there's pretty much 0 input from them whatsoever. They don't even bother trying to liaise with the community.

Just now, arandomgamer said:

Heavy gun control is not reasonable in a city where you have 20 homicides a day for 1000 people.

Yes it is.  The places with the most gun violence often have the heaviest gun control.  New York City, Washington DC, Los Angeles.  That's because only law abiding people abide by gun control laws and the criminals, who are doing the homicides, don't give a shit about gun control and do whatever they want.

• Wuhtah locked this topic