Several inconsistencies in the server continuity

14 minutes ago, Vassilios said:

Just make Los Santos a state near the coast of California.

My suggestion was something like this but having it as a US territory so the number of US states don't change and San Andreas is just an island near the coast of California like its Channel Islands.

The suggestion wasn't very agreeable, though, so I assume the official verdict on the continuation thread is the more popular one.

3 hours ago, jcat said:

Ok, everything stated below is only my opinion, and I am not criticizing anyone's work.  Here goes.

Staff never ever should've done this.  California is a huge state with different regions, climates, and cultures.  It's about the size of Germany or France, and it's larger than countries like the UK, Italy, Romania, and many other countries.  It's like taking GTA 5's piddly little map and saying, ok this is Germany.  It's unworkable and it's only creating problems.

GTA 5's map is a map for a game, for a toy.  It is purpose-built for that, and it is inherently limiting, extremely limiting.  That, along with the immense complexity of something like California makes even approaching a rough 'makes sense' simulation impossible.  The best we can do, really, is go for the aesthetic, because the map is only a little glass globe with California landmarks in it.

I mean we don't even have California Highway Patrol, and we're discussing case law.

If GTAW is going to have it's own lore, then it needs to make it's own lore.  This needs to be done as carefully as novelists create their fantasy worlds, or it will be just as stupid as movie and book settings where the writers didn't bother and it doesn't make sense.  It's an immense task, a Mount Chiliad of a task.

Well I'm glad that someone else said this, I was hesitant to. Even the main thread's adjusted map of the island replacing the LA area just doesn't look right. You might enjoy the suggestion thread that I mentioned above.

Edited by shaobadman
3 hours ago, Dom. said:

Ironically, I feel like the (in my opinion) laziness with GTA V's map makes it somewhat hard to roleplay it as a replacement of Los Angeles entirely, you know? There's no Wilmington, no Staples Center. It's kinda weird, tbh.

I'm glad someone else shares this sentiment. Los Santos is also missing Long Beach for some odd reason, despite it existing in GTA:SA. GTA:V's map seems more like an experiment city than an organic one.

3 hours ago, Mescalero said:

I don't like having shit ton of referances to Liberty City and not being able to have a character from Liberty City. 

The FDLC logo on most of the Fire trucks is there as a memorial to events in 9/11 (Some LACoFD and LAFD rigs also have an FDNY sticker irl), Liberty City Cycles exist as a brand that is known for it's famous motorcycles in GTA series. The vehicle, Faction, has Liberty City Willard plate holder. Having San Fierro and not having Liberty City seems really off, but I can get behind it since San Francisco is in Cali.  The whole 'island' thing is really silly, and it's connected by bridges...? Nope. 

A small team of community players should be established to assist continuity management to create a better lore or improve the current one. 

Exactly! I completely share the same opinion as you in the first line.

San Fierro is mentioned a fair, but not considerable, amount in GTA:V, so we know it exists. We just don't know what it looks like or how big it is, or even how far it is.

I mentioned before that Liberty City Cycles is a company that obviously has its products on GTA:V.  Do we just call it New York City Cycles now? Is the film "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" called "Once Upon a Time in Vinewood"? Issues like this make me wish GTA made their maps like amalgamations instead of cheap but pretty replicas of real life places.

3 hours ago, Dom. said:

Spitting facts here. Liberty City is the single place besides Los Santos that is heavily established in the HD universe. Forcing us to avoid roleplaying it, but making us roleplay San Fierro (a 3D era city as it stands right now) is stupid as hell. It's like taking a step backwards.

Agreed to a point. As above, San Fierro still exists, but as you said Liberty City is established in the HD universe. Similarly, we may see Vice City established in the next game, if it happens and if it's even set there.

12 minutes ago, Vassilios said:

Just make Los Santos a state near the coast of California.

It should be as simple as this, but it is not, for some reason.

2 minutes ago, shaobadman said:

My suggestion was something like this but having it as a US territory so the number of US states don't change and San Andreas is just an island near the coast of California like its Channel Islands.

The suggestion wasn't very agreeable, though, so I assume the official verdict on the continuation thread is the more popular one.

I wouldn't be opposed to it being a US territory. I would even say that San Andreas should be its own independent country, but that wouldn't have any real benefit and I guess wouldn't work either.

Overseas US territories would work better so they can be somewhat relevant without breaking our knowledge of the real world.

Going to chime in.

1) Do not take it in a bad way, but to the author - have you thought in moving to Cali irl and enjoy real life "roleplay" there, with all its benefits: cultural, historic and geographic?

2) Why you say this? Do not try to replicate real life into a game by micromanaging to a level, where most needs to be taken over from real life Cali? Where to you stop? I am 100% sure that most of the criminal factions arent really part of real Cali lore. Or how about the politics? There are 5 vs 5 in the Senate, so we gotta change it to 8 Dems vs 2 Repubs, since realistically, that is how it is.

3) The server should strive to be a self-breathing organism with 300-700 people who are shaping it daily, not copy-pasted from ooc California. Or - then drive to Paleto also 5-6 ig hours with your car with 1mph. 

Game should have its own lore, thats about it. God bless.

Just now, Tsarna said:

Going to chime in.

1) Do not take it in a bad way, but to the author - have you thought in moving to Cali irl and enjoy real life "roleplay" there, with all its benefits: cultural, historic and geographic?

2) Why you say this? Do not try to replicate real life into a game by micromanaging to a level, where most needs to be taken over from real life Cali? Where to you stop? I am 100% sure that most of the criminal factions arent really part of real Cali lore. Or how about the politics? There are 5 vs 5 in the Senate, so we gotta change it to 8 Dems vs 2 Repubs, since realistically, that is how it is.

3) The server should strive to be a self-breathing organism with 300-700 people who are shaping it daily, not copy-pasted from ooc California. Or - then drive to Paleto also 5-6 ig hours with your car with 1mph. 

Game should have its own lore, thats about it. God bless.

I mean you clearly can't separate portraying a certain setting and simulating it. You literally went on this thread to add quite literally nothing. Yes, the server should in fact have its' own lore and this is exactly the point of this thread.

1 hour ago, Aquila said:

I mentioned before that Liberty City Cycles is a company that obviously has its products on GTA:V.  Do we just call it New York City Cycles now? Is the film "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" called "Once Upon a Time in Vinewood"? Issues like this make me wish GTA made their maps like amalgamations instead of cheap but pretty replicas of real life places.

One of the first questions on the continuity Q&A was regarding California Love and whether it should be San Andreas Love, and it never really got a yes/no answer, so I assume it's to each user's discretion. Tupac has another hit called To Live And Die In LA and to abide by server rules I'd probably treat it the same way - call it how it is and make no reference to the title as anything other than the title. Just like Hollywood Nights by Bob Seger being on Los Santos Rock Radio.

8 hours ago, shaobadman said:

One of the first questions on the continuity Q&A was regarding California Love and whether it should be San Andreas Love, and it never really got a yes/no answer, so I assume it's to each user's discretion. Tupac has another hit called To Live And Die In LA and to abide by server rules I'd probably treat it the same way - call it how it is and make no reference to the title as anything other than the title. Just like Hollywood Nights by Bob Seger being on Los Santos Rock Radio.

The issue is that the continuity thing is a rule and thus people may be innocently making assumptions that everyone would make, and be punished for it. They'll also wonder why they're being punished, because it may not make sense to them.

Using one's discretion is fine for many things, but with the continuity rule it isn't all that safe to do so, especially as things aren't as clear cut as you would hope.

Edited by Aquila
1 hour ago, shaobadman said:

regarding California Love and whether it should be San Andreas Love

well, according to the continuity rules as written, there should be no mention of california or los angeles at all.  No songs, no teams, no clothing logos, no nothing.

By the way, Fort Zancudo is probably based on Vandenberg Air Force Base.  Rockstar played very fast and loose with that one, but Vandenberg is the only military base north of LA which is close to the coast and has an airfield.  It thought it might be Port Hueneme Naval Station in Ventura County, but there's no airfield there.

1 hour ago, jcat said:

well, according to the continuity rules as written, there should be no mention of california or los angeles at all.  No songs, no teams, no clothing logos, no nothing.

It's strange because this generation of roleplayers are more open to talking IC about films, games, and TV series that they probably watch OOC, which is fine, but then you have to be inclusive of the real world's universe as well as our own. When you bring in real life brands, sports teams, media, and other stuff, into the game, you cannot ignore the real life states or cities.

• Wuhtah locked this topic