Several inconsistencies in the server continuity

The problem I see with this post is that it would shift things that are already established if we do our best to fully replicate her laws. Currently, from what I see, the server population leans towards the moderate Republican mindset, with many people supporting the right to bear arms. As well as other things, do you think that replicating California clash with the current political stances of the population?

Question for @i dont wanna od in LA since I’m curious, or anyone else who might know.

Just now, Zani said:

The problem I see with this post is that it would shift things that are already established if we do our best to fully replicate her laws. Currently, from what I see, the server population leans towards the moderate Republican mindset, with many people supporting the right to bear arms. As well as other things, do you think that replicating California clash with the current political stances of the population?

Question for @i dont wanna od in LA since I’m curious, or anyone else who might know.

As far as I'm concerned the Democratic Party is currently a majority both in legislative and executive, thus it shouldn't be very difficult to inherit some Californian acts and laws and adjust them to the server.

2 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

The manpower is there, it just has to be utilized properly by the continuity team by actively liasing with figureheads in the community.

not to slander the continuity team, but they've got a somewhat big team and their activity isn't really seen by the community, so

3 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

The manpower is there, it just has to be utilized properly by the continuity team by actively liasing with figureheads in the community.

1 minute ago, Yoak said:

not to slander the continuity team, but they've got a somewhat big team and their activity isn't really seen by the community, so

The manpower isn't there. It's three people plus two representatives from FM so they can give input on any continuity decisions that affect factions. The three members have commitments elsewhere in the staff team or the community in general. Due to the current workload on the staff team, continuity has to take a back seat. Everything posted publicly so far has taken weeks or even months of research and speaking to relevant people. This also doesn't include when things are forwarded to Server Management and Nervous, discussed there and then sent back to us so changes can be made. I know it seems like a lot but making decisions that affect the entire server isn't just a case of writing a few paragraphs and posting it. I'm typing up a longer post explaining things in more detail. Please stop making assumptions with no basis in the meantime.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Keane said:

The manpower isn't there. It's three people plus two representatives from FM so they can give input on any continuity decisions that affect factions. The three members have commitments elsewhere in the staff team or the community in general. Due to the current workload on the staff team, continuity has to take a back seat. Everything posted publicly so far has taken weeks or even months of research and speaking to relevant people. This also doesn't include when things are forwarded to Server Management and Nervous, discussed there and then sent back to us so changes can be made. I know it seems like a lot but making decisions that affect the entire server isn't just a case of writing a few paragraphs and posting it. I'm typing up a longer post explaining things in more detail. Please stop making assumptions with no basis in the meantime.

12 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

What could the continuity team do to teach people how to roleplay California? Well, in my eyes the perfect solution would consist of putting up a non-staff subteam working along with the continuity admins and establishing certain boundaries (in illegal, law enforcement, legal and court/justice roleplay), providing quality guides explaning the Californian lifestyle more and focusing on putting up a solid (maybe even long) thread including all the major events from history of California, accordingly lory-fied to make sense on the server.

12 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

What could the continuity team do to teach people how to roleplay California? Well, in my eyes the perfect solution would consist of putting up a non-staff subteam working along with the continuity admins and establishing certain boundaries (in illegal, law enforcement, legal and court/justice roleplay), providing quality guides explaning the Californian lifestyle more and focusing on putting up a solid (maybe even long) thread including all the major events from history of California, accordingly lory-fied to make sense on the server.

This was considered but decided against. There wasn't any form of recruitment we could use to make sure things can operate efficiently. If we're too selective, it results in not enough work being done and lots of complaints about certain people not being picked. If we keep it more open, we see what we're seeing on this thread. Too many people with various opinions will just bring progress to a halt. Everyone would have to be vetted thoroughly and the discussions have to be constantly monitored to make sure each opinion is considered. 

Everything in Continuity Management is a result of compromise. Ironically, this means that the people with the strongest opinions on topics touched by continuity are often some of the worst people to be involved. The only staff members that have been picked to join have been staff members that sit somewhere in the middle and are open to push through decisions that they disagree with. I personally disagree with some of the continuity decisions but I'm one person. The whole point is to get something written up and on the forums so everyone is on the same page. There is always going to be players that disagree with anything that's posted no matter which side of the fence it's on or how much effort was put into reaching a compromise.

3 minutes ago, Keane said:

This was considered but decided against. There wasn't any form of recruitment we could use to make sure things can operate efficiently. If we're too selective, it results in not enough work being done and lots of complaints about certain people not being picked. If we keep it more open, we see what we're seeing on this thread. Too many people with various opinions will just bring progress to a halt. Everyone would have to be vetted thoroughly and the discussions have to be constantly monitored to make sure each opinion is considered. 

Everything in Continuity Management is a result of compromise. Ironically, this means that the people with the strongest opinions on topics touched by continuity are often some of the worst people to be involved. The only staff members that have been picked to join have been staff members that sit somewhere in the middle and are open to push through decisions that they disagree with. I personally disagree with some of the continuity decisions but I'm one person. The whole point is to get something written up and on the forums so everyone is on the same page. There is always going to be players that disagree with anything that's posted no matter which side of the fence it's on or how much effort was put into reaching a compromise.

You can't suit everybody's taste sadly. You can however suit the majority and so it appears that the general consensus is that San Andreas is based off of California and should be roleplayed this way. The nice west coast aesthetics aren't enough, it in fact takes a way more than just that. 

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
34 minutes ago, Keane said:

get the community involved if the staff is incapable of handling it then. community teams for rpqm matters were established in other communities with relative success. why not here? the staff team can vet the people they want in with equal representation from both the legal and illegal side. a group of about 10 people should suffice for an issue such as this.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

You can't suit everybody's taste sadly. You can however suit the majority and so it appears that the general consensus is that San Andreas is based off of California and should be roleplayed this way. The nice west coast aesthetics aren't enough, it in fact takes a way more than just that. 

Sure, there is a considerable percentage of players that want us to emulate LA and California to a degree. But that degree varies. Take a look at the LSSD, LSPD, LSFD and SAPR factions. The uniforms and vehicles are all based on the real life agencies but beyond that, each of those four factions portrays the real life agencies to a different degree. I can only really comment on the LSSD because I'm one of the faction leaders. The LSSD as a faction has about three quarters of the faction that push for things to be more in line with the LASD. This is based on several polls recently on faction-wide changes. The most recent change to be more like the LASD had 80% of the faction members that voted in support. If you were to try something similar in the other three factions I mentioned, you would get very different results in each. All of the players in those four factions I mentioned are roleplaying in agencies that are portraying their LA or CA counterparts. From speaking to players in various levels in each of those factions though, I can tell you that there are many that completely disagree with portraying LA or CA agencies and want to change things up. The LSSD has been faction reported several times for being too similar to the LASD. At the same time, internal surveys have criticized the faction for straying too far away from portraying the LASD. No matter which way the faction goes, there will always be a group of players in the faction that will disagree.

We can expand on the point I made about the LSSD to the community as a whole. If there can be that much disagreement in a faction that very clearly wants to be similar to the LASD, the issue is a lot worse elsewhere in the community. Portraying LA and California or portraying something else isn't a heads or tails decision. Every single community member has a different opinion and sits somewhere on a broad spectrum. If we went ahead with what you were proposing, there would be a lot more players that disagree than you might think. It's why we're leaning away from the 1:1 California simulation. It just won't work in a community this big.

• Wuhtah locked this topic