IC Immigration & Crime

Gryphboi

Some of you have noticed over the years that there's a recurring theme where immigrant characters commit crimes, with some of them taking their jail time seriously, using that as fuel for development and other cases where they take jail time as a slap on the wrist and continue with the same behavior. Being a first generation immigrant character is a rather unique concept that should be treated with respect, not as something to use as a tool to join a faction or gather with a group of like-minded first generation immigrants for the sake of clique RP.

How many times can one person be convicted of different crimes before the system says 'enough' and deports them? That'd be an interesting possibility to explore, if it's not already being used: instead of locking someone up, just deport them IC and remove that character as a CK. This will improve the quality of immigrant RP greatly, by either forcing people to do research on immigration in the United States or, alternatively, by getting rid of characters that collectively bring down the quality of immigrant communities with sub-par portrayal.

I'm sure many of you might be against this personally because you believe that every Japanese character is supposed to race with imported cars, or that every Eastern European male is supposed to be some career criminal that goes around trying to extort people during his first visit to the US. That type of portrayal is fine, don't get me wrong, but the consequences you face through the IC legal system are far too simple when compared to what happens IRL. A little reminder that you might lose your character over something like repeatedly getting caught driving recklessly or carrying a firearm as a foreigner might make you think twice about your character's actions, specially if you aim to be a criminal.

• Upvote 9

I feel that illegal immigrant RP is going to be so limited on this server purely because of the map itself.

On NGRP we had illegal immigrants all the time because San Andreas and Tierra Robada were two separate, sovereign states, and not part of the US at all. One person could jump the border from TR to SA and be deported back, or vice versa. They'd obviously get charged or extradited too.

But having illegal immigrants commit crime here only to be deported just sounds like a waste of time really, and only contributes towards a handful of people's stories. I see what you're saying that people can roleplay being an "undocumented alien" and just commit crime after crime and get away with it instead of considering the consequences. There was another thread where someone told me that illegal immigrant RP and deportation can go real deep, but I personally can't see myself doing it because of the limitations and low worth. Doesn't seem to be much of a benefit to it either, correct me if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Gryphboi said:

you believe that every Japanese character is supposed to race with imported cars, or that every Eastern European male is supposed to be some career criminal that goes around trying to extort people during his first visit to the US. That type of portrayal is fine, don't get me wrong

1) It's not fine.

2) The rest of your thoughts/suggestions are fine and idealistic, but it's highly unlikely that they will become a reality any time soon. The server really isn't that big on enforcing all these "high standards" that it claims to uphold.

3) The only good thing about the whole situation is that players try and combat this themselves. As in, the big/good, official and illegal factions not putting up with such member base (e.g. no off-the-boat immigrants in a lcn concept).

Edited by SCANDALOUZ
  • Applaud 1
55 minutes ago, Aquila said:

I feel that illegal immigrant RP is going to be so limited on this server purely because of the map itself.

On NGRP we had illegal immigrants all the time because San Andreas and Tierra Robada were two separate, sovereign states, and not part of the US at all. One person could jump the border from TR to SA and be deported back, or vice versa. They'd obviously get charged or extradited too.

But having illegal immigrants commit crime here only to be deported just sounds like a waste of time really, and only contributes towards a handful of people's stories. I see what you're saying that people can roleplay being an "undocumented alien" and just commit crime after crime and get away with it instead of considering the consequences. There was another thread where someone told me that illegal immigrant RP and deportation can go real deep, but I personally can't see myself doing it because of the limitations and low worth. Doesn't seem to be much of a benefit to it either, correct me if I'm wrong.

Gotta disagree, I don't think NGRP is something you'd use as an example for standards at all, it's nothing more than a medium RP server where people mostly cared about doing /material/ runs so they can craft shotguns, buy donator so they can access lockers inside some sorta hub club and buy guns and armor from inside with /donator tokens/...I'm still talking about an RP server btw, no, it's not Dayz or some sorta open world csgo 

I totally agree with @Gryphboi here, give people a reason to behave.

Edited by Clout
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Clout said:

Gotta disagree, I don't think NGRP is something you'd use as an example for standards at all, it's nothing more than a medium RP server where people mostly cared about doing /material/ runs so they can craft shotguns, buy donator so they can access lockers inside some sorta hub club and buy guns and armor from inside with /donator tokens/...I'm still talking about an RP server btw, no, it's not Dayz or some sorta open world csgo 

I totally agree with @Gryphboi here, give people a reason to behave.

Seems like a weird form of deflection by focusing on irrelevant parts of a former server. No point entertaining this attempt.

• Upvote 1

Most people really don't consider their immigration status at all. Exceptions exist, but I feel like most immigrant characters don't care what the US immigration system is like, what kind of visa they got to the US on, if any, and what'll happen if they get caught, sometimes for even minor things.

Even not counting people who immediately turn to crime, generally speaking, people aren't allowed to move to the US to work as a bartender, for example. I'd have to assume they're overstaying their tourist visa and breaching the terms of their stay, but that'll have consequences in terms of access to public services and so on.

It would be nice if people dealt with it more realistically, I guess, but then again some people would also just use it as an excuse to DM, like:"Well, my character is an undocumented immigrant. They might get deported, so I had to murder everyone."

Edited by hillievonb

I try not to talk too much about Habeeb's immigration status. As someone who immigrated to the US IRL and went though the system, obtaining a green card and so on there were a lot of restrictions on me from day one. I couldn't get a Californian license until my green card, there was doubt if the DMV would accept an alien number as enough proof etc etc etc.. There's no point even talking about it ICly, very few people will have the OOC knowledge about it that's why it's not discussed.

With that said for the few people that do question Habeeb I loosely say he came through a refugee program and obtained citizenship and is now a dual national after having been a permanent resident for so long. Anyway, being a dual national gives you more protection from being deported or stripped of your citizenship but Habeeb's most serious crime is a speeding offense so my RP of being a fresh of the boat immigrant will be a lot different to illegal characters. 

• Applaud 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic