Are long /me's signs of a good roleplayer?

mojojojo

12 minutes ago, arrdef said:

The ability to hold conversations for longer than sixty seconds is far more important than any kind of (literal) purple prose.

This completely. I can appreciate more a genuine, fluid conversation between two human beings than someone who puts extreme detail up to each hair that falls off a character's head.

I'm at fault at times of doing relatively long /mes, but I try to mitigate it by reading the room and following with how another person tries to flow into the interaction. So say I do a few long emotes at first, but the other person's emotes are consistently short, so I subtly try to develop into shorter, concise emotes.

e; not to downplay those who do detailed emotes, of course. I love a bit of detailed writing, especially if it flows well into the imagination rather than just being nit-picked details strewn together.

Edited by College Sweetheart
23 minutes ago, Zani said:

Situational. If you're entering a house interior with a group of friends that are just chillin together and you start busting out paragraphs while everyone is just /me chuckles, it's a little awkward.

On the other hand, if you're in a serious roleplay situation where people are putting detail into their roleplay while immersed in the situation and you go /me grabs X. /me picks it up. /me smiles — it's a little awkward on that side too.

It's all about the situation. Roleplay isn't ONLY just about the quality of your /me's (though still important, I feel), but about how you develop your character and if you're following what makes sense for your character.

This ^

People get too heated though when it comes to shit like this though. At the end of the day, it's not like someone's disgustingly short /me's or obnoxiously long /me's are going to destroy your own experience completely. As long as there's good roleplay happening, who cares what someone else does? There's no real benefit in shitting on other people's styles of roleplay as long as it leads to overall quality roleplay scenes. I've made decent roleplay out of people that really can't RP for shit before, so the length of someone's lines shouldn't be severely impacting anyone.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
56 minutes ago, Rushing said:

No, it's pretty simple. If you're able to summarize your actions without missing out on information, you're probably a better RPer than the guys who practically "rant" about whatever in their /me.

For example, I prefer seeing 

* John Doe pulls out some cash and offers it to Jimmy Cashier.

instead of 

* John Doe reaches his left hand into his pocket and withdraws his leather wallet. John digs a few crumbled dollar bills out from his pocket and offers them over to Jimmy, before putting the wallet back inside his pocket.

While it may flow better, at the end of the day, it's impractical.

I agree, however I want to make a slight adjustment because I'm a nitpicky bitch, and I apologise.

John Doe pulls some cash out of his pocket and offers it to Jane Doe. 

I wanted to add a bit just as middle ground between the two examples. It's descriptive enough but short, yet still shows where the money is coming from. The long /me's would tire people out if they have to keep reading it and get lost. Another point is that there are plenty of people on our server who are capable of speaking English, but they are, by no means, spectacular at it. We have to make our /me's simple enough to understand while getting our point across, like your examples (the long example is still fairly shorter than some examples I've seen, so I would even be happy with that). 

22 minutes ago, Late said:

No, I like it when the pace of roleplay moves quickly.

/me sighs or /me chuckles is more than adequate. 

Exactly. Roleplay is about the flow, not the length. It gets boring quick if it's going nowhere slowly, and many of us don't have so much time on our hands. 

At the end of the day, it seems like the majority of us posting here are in agreement. I'm not sure what we can really do or change here other than raise awareness and try to stop this trend of unnecessarily long /me's. 

there is no correct answer to your question, just do whatever you enjoy most

it's a game after all, how you derive fun from it is to your own tastes

it's generally not worth overthinking these things too much 

Edited by books
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, books said:

there is no correct answer to your question, just do whatever you enjoy most

it's a game after all, how you derive fun from it is to your own tastes

it's generally not worth overthinking these things too much 

qtngTL4.png

• Upvote 2

Like others have said, it mostly depends on the situation. I was working as a masseuse about two months ago, which required me to write out 200 character long emotes for half an hour straight. That's one example where long /me's would be necessary in a public area. If I'm passive roleplaying (which I often do out of boredom) then I would also lengthen my /me's, since no one is really watching and it's all for my personal experience. ERP and hospital RP would also be a good time for long emotes.

But if I'm standing in a crowded nightclub with 30 other people talking and dancing around me, I'm not gonna type out two sentences explaining my character's body posture as she sits down. That kind of stuff just clutters up the chat with a bunch of nonsense.

To answer the question though. I personally believe neither short nor long /me's are indications of RP quality. I've seen really good RP'ers who pretty much always types paragraphs. I've also seen really good RP'ers who emote in short phrases. Same way vice versa with bad RP'ers. It really doesn't matter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic