Are long /me's signs of a good roleplayer?

mojojojo

I have this personal rule that typing a /me shouldn't take longer than it would take to do the action. For simple actions like sipping from a beer, smoking, laughing, ect, short /me's are fine. For things that would take longer, adding more details is good.

Situational. If I'm in a populated scene and I feel I need more detail and am directly roleplaying with another individual or two (i.e. ordering drinks at a bar); I'll use /melow and /ame more often than /me, especially when I'm looking to add detail to an action or expression. This allows me to elongate my lines without cluttering too many chatlogs up.

Edited by Dominic

no, not that i mind them until they hold up roleplay, i find long actions to be a little selfish and inconsiderate towards those you're interacting with, i don't know what the official rules/guidelines say about it but i think if you can shorten it to the basic information while interacting with others, you should

also while /me and /do are being discussed, i occasionally see informal language or thoughts being put into /me and /do, are there any rules on these? because i always found them very out of place and fairly awkward, in the example below i'm referring to the long /me

Screenshot_1244.png

here is another example of what i'm talking about

Hzi8xqU.png

Edited by shaobadman

It really depends on the context and situation. Long lines don't always contribute to the situation. Sometimes they are a nuisance if there are irrelevant information, but sometimes they provide useful insight into the character and such.

1 minute ago, shaobadman said:

no, not that i mind them until they hold up roleplay, i find long actions to be a little selfish and inconsiderate towards those you're interacting with, i don't know what the official rules/guidelines say about it but i think if you can shorten it to the basic information while interacting with others, you should

also /me and /do are being discussed, i occasionally see informal language or thoughts being put into /me and /do, are there any rules on these? because i always found them very out of place and fairly awkward, in the example below i'm referring to the long /me

Screenshot_1244.png

here is another example of what i'm talking about

Hzi8xqU.png

Entirely agree with this, thoughts do not belong in /me or /do. 

6 minutes ago, Dominic said:

Entirely agree with this, thoughts do not belong in /me or /do. 

apparently a few of us in this thread do and while i find that refreshing i'm wondering if there are rules against it, because it can be open to minor abuse as another user already said, where players use it for passive aggressive insults but you can't do anything because there was no action representing it, it's extremely lazy too, even if "show don't tell" is a cliche rule it still has some validity in storytelling and fully applies here

firstly, don't let anyone tell you what "good" or "bad" roleplay is - it's entirely subjective! nobody is a roleplay "expert", and certainly not on gtaw. there's really nothing wrong with a short or long /me provided they don't provide anything to the audience that isn't an action (a thought, for example)

i think it's a bit of an erroneous expectation for people to want more than /me chuckles - there's really little more you can describe there without breaking out the thesaurus and webmd

lastly, since you're looking for specific advice, i'd keep length of your /me's relative to the situation - if you're in a packed crowd, keep them short to be considerate to other players. if you're with little people, i'd say let your juices flow. again, all of it is subjective

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic