Are long /me's signs of a good roleplayer?

mojojojo

No.

Long /me's are rarely ever worth the time took writing them.

Short-to-mid /me's are fine, a nice adjective and a clear succinct representation of your emote is enough for everyone.

On the topic, people need to stop writing emotes in past-tense, they need to stop writing their thoughts into emotes and they NEED to stop using curse words in emotes. It's poor etiquette and imo it means you're a worse roleplayer.

1 minute ago, SCANDALOUZ said:

Nah it's bad. It's biased, oocly passive aggressive and showcasing thought as if ppl could mind read.

I'd still take that over /me pats down XYZ checking their waist area /b showitems. You try this on me, you ain't getting a thing.

Long /me's and short /me's.

/me is for describing a character action that a character would see but that the player cannot see.  This connects to Scandolouz comment about thoughts, emotions, and all that.  Characters can't see that, so it shouldn't get a /me.  Show the visible hints of that, like /me curls her lip and turns away.

Example:  a facial expression, or a detail that adds flavor, that tells the other people in the rp something that adds to the rp.

chatbox space is very limited, so the best /me is the /me that communicates those relevant details that add to the rp in the least space possible.

long /me's that clutter up the chatbox with irrelevant details absolutely SUCK.

the chatbox is not the place for people to show off their creative writing.  Doing that in such a limited space that other people are trying to use is a detriment to rp.

My rule of thumb is that if other character can see my character doing something, like anim to light up a cig, then I don't need to do a /me about it.  There's rules of course, but in cases where a /me isn't required by a rule, that's my rule of thumb.

6 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

I'd still take that over /me pats down XYZ checking their waist area /b showitems. You try this on me, you ain't getting a thing.

But that's a different situation, in a case like that, a long and detailed me would be good because it actually adds to the situation.

1 minute ago, stringer said:

But that's a different situation, in a case like that, a long and detailed me would be good because it actually adds to the situation.

Yeah I understand, that thoughts shouldn't be included without actual expression, but take games where script doesn't help you with anything. Only way to get by properly there is writing. And no, short but accurate me's during a robbery, you don't wanna get caught writing a long me there.

Edited by Engelbert

Usually they are signs of powergaming (because they contain multiple actions) or/and disability to allow for a twist on emotions/actions in a situation that could be dynamic. 

Sometimes they are simply longer words, or more complex actions. There is no correlation really. Saying /me is quite muscular. and /me would have the body of a Greek god. is still the same thing.

The length of a /me doesn't determine if a role-player is bad or good. /me's show the actions and emotions of your character that would be visible to others, or that would add substance to the role-play of other people. As long as your /me serves that purpose, it's alright. 

Screenshot_1244.png

A terrible long /me. This is inciting metagaming, the other parties involved in the role-play won't know "the dude was being a dick" unless it was ICly expressed by Bae. 

It would probably be good if you detail your /me's but it's only ideal as long as it contains sufficient information for others to know what's going on — nothing more, nothing less. Short /me's shouldn't necessarily mean you're a bad role-player. You're just keeping your /me concise and to the point.

In a nutshell, quality is paramount. If you're making short /me's, make sure it's full of quality. If you're making long /me's, it should also be quality. Don't be like Bae. To end this with a sweet little note, long /me's are not a sign of a good role-player. A good role-player is comprised of quality among many other things. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic