Are long /me's signs of a good roleplayer?

mojojojo

I find it somewhat intriguing that this topic has 13 pages worth of discussion, yet there's no real consensus about what is or isn't the way forward when it comes to this aspect of roleplay. I'm glad of that, because the notion that the length of a /me categorizes any player to a "grade" of roleplay quality is a massive oversimplification. Sure, in some scenarios, long /me's are good. They paint the picture more. In other situations, shorter punchy ones are fine. But this is but the tip of the iceberg when it comes to roleplaying. The what, the when, the why and the how need to be considered well in advance of what colourful lexicon execution is employed.

In my mind, the length doesn't tell you anything about one's ability to roleplay. It gives you a tiny bit of information. There's loads more to piece together before you can draw conclusions about somebody's ability to roleplay.

• Upvote 1

Yes, longer emotes generally are a SIGN of a good roleplayer. 

However a single sign isn't enough to determine whether someone is good or bad, for reasons highlighted in the previous responses.

With that said, if I had to guess which was the better roleplayer between someone who writes short  emotes or someone who writes long emotes, my money would be on the one writing long emotes.

Edited by Tara

mmyes my 19 year old japanese female character with pink hair that drives a 300k car is great and very interesting

ah yes i am a good rper i write 250 letter erp lines 

what do you mean this pariah is unrealistic, ive been a mechanic for over a week now!

Edited by Corey_

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Long emotes are a sign of a good and dedicated roleplayer, someone who puts effort in dedication in the expression of emotions of their character. Does this means everyone who uses long emotes are roleplayers above the average? Not necessarily, they can still be bad at other things. But yes, in most of the cases someone who puts effort and dedication into their emotes is someone who also puts effort and dedication into what they do with their char, is basically what tells you that they love what they are doing which is always a great sign.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Paddy said:

I find it somewhat intriguing that this topic has 13 pages worth of discussion, yet there's no real consensus about what is or isn't the way forward when it comes to this aspect of roleplay. I'm glad of that, because the notion that the length of a /me categorizes any player to a "grade" of roleplay quality is a massive oversimplification. Sure, in some scenarios, long /me's are good. They paint the picture more. In other situations, shorter punchy ones are fine. But this is but the tip of the iceberg when it comes to roleplaying. The what, the when, the why and the how need to be considered well in advance of what colourful lexicon execution is employed.

In my mind, the length doesn't tell you anything about one's ability to roleplay. It gives you a tiny bit of information. There's loads more to piece together before you can draw conclusions about somebody's ability to roleplay.

call me impatient but i'd rather see those pieces earlier than wait longer than necessary for a /me or /do to form regarding an action that doesn't really contribute much to moving the story forward, i'll admit i'm shallow for judging some players on making these

i still haven't received an official answer about thoughts and informal language in /me and /do so i reckon a lot of these grey areas are up in the air

the vocabulary word you're looking for is emote. and ten-dollar words don't make good ones.

i see a lot of players swapping out actual simple words with thesaurus-picked complex ones in order to look smarter or more “writer-y.” good prose can’t come from a thesaurus because if you don’t know the word already, you’re not going to use it effectively and understand how it strikes the reader. if someone is using long emotes with archaiac english, they're almost always shit.

a good role-player makes their descriptions active and keeps their speeches short. anything longer than one sentence should be broken up with an emote somewhere in the middle.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2

No lol u can write long ass /me’s but that doesn’t make u an rping god / a better roleplayer. Just because you write long /me’s MIKASA or insert generic anime japanese name here does not mean ur the best fucking japanese lesbian roleplayer that drives a sports car even though shes been a mechanic for 2 days.

What makes u a better rper is the portrayl of it all, u can write long /me’s while being a turbo lesbian that shoots their significant others for cheating, with a pf gun, but that doesn’t mean ur the best roleplayer.

• Upvote 1

I'm coming across more and more people who take ages to roleplay because they choose to type out long /me's and /do's.

Please stop doing this. If I'm driving you in a cab, or filling up your car with gas, or serving you stuff in a store, don't make a single action take more than 30 seconds. Nobody wants to deal with "/me slowly moves their right hand down to the back of their jeans and stares at the cab driver with a seductive stare, they reach into their back pocket and nods to the driver, withdrawing a wallet. They unflip the wallet and smiles, withdrawing $100 with a cheerful smile. They pay the driver" or something. I can't think of a long enough example, but many people do it.

I would rather have that time spent having a conversation rather than watching you do five long lines for a simple action that has little bearing to either of our stories. I wish it didn't look condescending to ask people to make their /me's short and simple. Nobody is saying half-ass the /me, but don't make them longer than they need to be. 🙂

• Wuhtah locked this topic