Are long /me's signs of a good roleplayer?

mojojojo

If you are explaining in 100 words what you could in 10, it doesn't make you a better roleplayer, it just makes my eyes hurt to read. 

keep it simple, maybe look up some synonyms to words you use often to spruce it up, but no reason to write paragraphs in most scenarios.  quality over quantity

It depends on the situation & the pace of said situation.

If you're in a slow, steady paced RP scenario such as a job interview:
Develop your me's, add as much detail as you can, convey your characters actions to the best of your ability. This just immerses everyone abit more, it takes more time, but it ultimately makes the RP.. Better. Gives people a better feel for your character, how they act and what not.

For the love of god though. Do /not/ type things like "/me thinks about the sundae he had an hour ago.."
All that does is make people more prone to MG- Asides from that, it makes your character less interesting. People already know /why/ and /what/ said character is thinking about.. Meaning there's no point in trying to figure out said situation RPly.

If you're in a more fast pace scenario, say a shootout, you'd want to be more specific, straight to the point. 

I think the trick in being a good Rper in terms of detail etc is just deciding when it's necessary and when it's not. You've gotta read the room, see when the detail is welcome, see when it's not..

That's just my opinion though.

Edited by AdamZZ
  • Upvote 2

No, in my opiniom the signs of a good roleplayer is an ability to portray a realistic (not talking bout creative) character development and no OOC complains about IC loss- talking about robberies, or even fights. I seen people who rpd as a random teen and won a fight against an athletic grown man just bc their OOC ego couldn't take loss.

Long /me's can be a headache sometimes and it won't make you a better roleplayer.

Edited by Case Closed
  • Upvote 1

The length of your /message don't matter. As long as your roleplay is clear then you're fine. It's absolutely stupid to think that the amount of characters you type matters.

"/me extends her left arm and curls her finger around the interior door release of the driver's side exit, pulling it gently and tugging it as it unlatches before leaning into the door, swinging it open as she swings her leg out, setting her foot on the pavement."

"/me pops the door and hops out."

While some people would say the second example is too simple, the first one isn't inherently better because it's longer.

I feel long emotes with excessive needless fluff are tiresome to read through. And short emotes with absolutely no content are repetitive and don't really bring your character to life. Both ways are kind of robotic. You can often compensate for it with other type of roleplay for example cracking jokes/flirting/being rude or something.

I think you should focus on bringing quality to short emotes.

"/me laughs." is kinda meh.

"/me laughs heartily." is already better and tells you about the way someone laughs.

"/me booms with laughter!" is getting more unique and descriptive without cluttering the chat screen.

You can of course also always put a lot of details in long emotes but that seems better suited for special situations and not in mass events with a lot of people. And personally I'm too lazy for it.

Edited by gytha
  • Upvote 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic