Are long /me's signs of a good roleplayer?

mojojojo

6 hours ago, Skip said:

Please do share your character's thought processes and emotions. Use as many or as few words as you like, as long as they're vivid. We're here to tell stories—as protagonists of our own, bit players in and/or audience members to those of others.

It's up to you as a player to differentiate what can be used for IC purposes, not the author to babyproof your experience from metagame. A lot of people get lost in the meta-meta and conceal their character's objective and subjective emotions because it's the equivalent of a bad poker face.

At the end of the day, this question is like who should be in charge of making sure the toilet seat is up or down. Everybody should be doing their best to use flourish where appropriate, brevity when necessary.

This. Every single day I see someone narrating their internal monologue like I'm watching a movie starring them.

6 hours ago, Skip said:

Please do share your character's thought processes and emotions. Use as many or as few words as you like, as long as they're vivid. We're here to tell stories—as protagonists of our own, bit players in and/or audience members to those of others.

It's up to you as a player to differentiate what can be used for IC purposes, not the author to babyproof your experience from metagame. A lot of people get lost in the meta-meta and conceal their character's objective and subjective emotions because it's the equivalent of a bad poker face.

At the end of the day, this question is like who should be in charge of making sure the toilet seat is up or down. Everybody should be doing their best to use flourish where appropriate, brevity when necessary.

Essentially this. Everybody has their own preferences towards roleplay style and length and that shouldn’t be controlled by anybody else. As long as lines are coherent, be as creative or as straight-forwards as you like. Not everything has to be micromanaged, least of all the details of RP lines in a game.

6 hours ago, Skip said:

This all day. People have different roleplay styles. Some people see it as telling a story, where you'd want to put forward why your character reacts a certain way, and some people see it as a movie, wherein they want to leave everything open to interpretation. Both are just as valid as one another, and doing either one doesn't make you a bad roleplayer.

What makes a bad roleplayer is acting on something done in a /me, rather than the person writing the /me in the first place. Though I do agree that it's common courtesy to shorten your lines as much as possible in a busy setting where it's difficult to see what people are writing.

• Upvote 1

Saying that long emotes make you a good roleplayer is like saying that your favourite author is a good writer because they write really long sentences - it's absurd.

If the extra words are necessary because they're describing something that needs to be described - like the process of hotwiring a car, or making a jail shiv, or performing heart surgery - then use them. If the extra words are showing or hinting at something important or interesting about your character, use them. But if you're spending three sentences describing your character sipping from a beer bottle or brushing their teeth, stop it.

Don't tell people what your character is thinking in their emotes because it's impossible for other players to react to that. If your character thinks they're going to die, emote that they're shuddering or crying or whatever - then other players have something tangible for their characters to potentially respond to.

And hacky emotes like 'Rodney Madone sends the snitch to hell on behalf of his family' are always bad.

Quite the opposite. A /me should be short and to the point, it's an action and should be as simple and as fast as if you were to do it irl. It also should be general seeing as it is an action, I should be able to understand what you're doing without doubt the instant you type it.

• Wuhtah locked this topic