Are long /me's signs of a good roleplayer?

mojojojo

19 hours ago, Fruit. said:

long /mes are for elitist just trying to flex their vocabulary. anyone who thinks long mes determine how "good" a roleplay is simply ignorant. these people thrive off of shoving their idea of "good" roleplay into everyone's throat and it needs to stop. roleplay is for everyone, regardless of their background and not everyone has a vocabulary set comparative to a university professor with a PHD in english. as long as youre roleplaying realistically with regards to your surroundings and background, you should be good.

You're never going to find an "elitist" (whatever that means anyway) typing out long /me's. That's moreso a thing for your average club-goer mallrat, but the vocabulary part I am in agreement with.

Keep your /me's concise and relevant. Echoing this, no one cares about every little detail your character does or thinks about. It disrupts the flow of role play and is an eye sore. You can easily turn /me extends his right arm forth, wrapping his fingers around the coffee mug, he then brings the mug close to his mouth taking a slow and audible sip to /me clutches onto the mug, he sips from it audibly.

Edited by bonk
  • Thanks 1

It's contextual. Most of the time detail and description helps to further create a better roleplay environment, other times paragraphs of text for a simple action can detract from it. Ideally you want to hit a sweet somewhere in the middle.

Personally, it depends where you are. If you're in a crowded area, I'd avoid using long /me's, although if I'm in a small space or around a few people, I'll use long /me's to be more descriptive. (To avoid spamming everyone's chatbox)

Edited by LoLo.Jpg

Definitely depends on the quality of the /me. If you're just typing: "/me laughs" like c'mon -_-

You should be able to spice that up a bit, for example like /me laughs at his comment, smirking widely or something along with that. But I also do believe that some people just throw in huge amounts of words in their /me's which feels like It's annoying to wait for them to finish it, especially when they're slow writers. Otherwise, it just depends on the scene and how well you can describe your /me's without taking up the whole screen

This is my opinion

13 minutes ago, Clared said:

Definitely depends on the quality of the /me. If you're just typing: "/me laughs" like c'mon -_-

You should be able to spice that up a bit, for example like /me laughs at his comment, smirking widely or something along with that. But I also do believe that some people just throw in huge amounts of words in their /me's which feels like It's annoying to wait for them to finish it, especially when they're slow writers. Otherwise, it just depends on the scene and how well you can describe your /me's without taking up the whole screen

This is my opinion

What the hell is wrong with “/me laughs” lol, If it’s something like that I’d use /ame instead.

Please do share your character's thought processes and emotions. Use as many or as few words as you like, as long as they're vivid. We're here to tell stories—as protagonists of our own, bit players in and/or audience members to those of others.

It's up to you as a player to differentiate what can be used for IC purposes, not the author to babyproof your experience from metagame. A lot of people get lost in the meta-meta and conceal their character's objective and subjective emotions because it's the equivalent of a bad poker face.

At the end of the day, this question is like who should be in charge of making sure the toilet seat is up or down. Everybody should be doing their best to use flourish where appropriate, brevity when necessary.

Edited by Skip
  • Thanks 1

No, longer /me's are not a sign of a good roleplayer. Shorter /me's are way more direct, bring the point across and don't spam 2 lines in your chatbox and they often carry the same action. I can't remember the last time I've done a /me longer than one sentence (apart from when I'm patting someone down). 

If you're with a group that enjoys that and is into the same, go right ahead but when in a public setting (such as a bar), posting longer /me's is just annoying for the rest since it'll spam the chat even more. 

/me reaches out with his hand towards the brown box, he'd lift the lid open with a simple flick before removing a shiny pearl from the red mattress it's laying on.

/me opens the box and removes a pearl from inside. 

No. 

The length of your /me's and /do's don't reflect the quality of your Roleplay in my opinion. What does matter is how good you portray your character and how well you make your character believable. 

Edited by sage
  • Wuhtah locked this topic