Are long /me's signs of a good roleplayer?

mojojojo

In my opinion, it varies on the situation but you don't have to do long ass /me's everytime, if you want to express an action in which you can't really express it with short /me's then go do it.

I've seen so many people do /me's like they're fucking Shakespeare. It's absolutely hilarious to read because most of it doesn't even make sense and people would just write long ass me's just because it is fucking long and makes you look like a god-like roleplayer. No, no it doesn't. Literally fills up chat with a /me that's impractical.

14 hours ago, mojojojo said:

I mean some people have told me that longer /me's are considered as a good roleplay and short /me's are considered as a bad roleplay.

This is ridiculous in my opinion. Role-play abilities has nothing to do with the length of your /me's and /do's, it's more so to do with a player's ability to keep role-play flowing, and accepting losses and failures. A good role-player is not someone who can cram as many words into a sentence as possible, it's someone who creates an enjoyable role-play opportunity for others and develops their character well.

Writing long /me lines won't make your Johnson get bigger.

In all seriousness though, it really depends on the situation, the participant(s) and the roleplay you're doing. Some fields of roleplay can get better when you go into depth in them, but that can only work if the players you roleplay with are on the same page as you.

Edited by Maxim

Writing long /me's really depends on the context and preference.

3 AM on a Tuesday? No way in hell I'm writing long ass /me's as I likely just want that RP scenario over so I can get sleep.

3 PM on Tuesday? Long /me's are okay in that case.

Do I write long /me's to begin with? It depends, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Am I a bad RPer for writing short /me's? No, not at all and neither are you!

To each their own, live and let live, point is: It's doesn't matter what style of RP someone does, character portrayal is 100x more important. I'm going to judge someone owning 5+ cars instead of someone with short /me's.

It's definitely situational in my opinion. As mentioned by others before; when you're in a group it's likely better to keep things relatively short to keep up and not flood the chat too much. While if you're with fewer people I personally appreciate the little micromovements.

It says a lot about a person when asking a question and they avert their eyes to the side or ground, or if they start fidgeting. Creates depth and in my opinion increases quality of the roleplay itself. 

This doesn't mean however, that you're not a good roleplayer if you don't use long and descriptive /me's because the same message can be brought across with a short /me. 

2 hours ago, Seanny said:

Writing long /me's really depends on the context and preference.

3 AM on a Tuesday? No way in hell I'm writing long ass /me's as I likely just want that RP scenario over so I can get sleep.

3 PM on Tuesday? Long /me's are okay in that case.

Do I write long /me's to begin with? It depends, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Am I a bad RPer for writing short /me's? No, not at all and neither are you!

To each their own, live and let live, point is: It's doesn't matter what style of RP someone does, character portrayal is 100x more important. I'm going to judge someone owning 5+ cars instead of someone with short /me's.

I believe that long /me's are okay to some extent. As in when you can fit several lines of /me's into one chat message, i.e.

/me walks into the bank and withdraws a wallet from their pocket.

/me looks up at the banker and smiles, then begins to speak.

/me makes a withdrawal and exits the bank, depositing the wallet back into their pocket.

This could all be minimised into one /me. Mind you, this is a plain example. But you are absolutely right that character portrayal is of utmost importance, regardless of the length of /me's, because it also matters how the character is communicating via speech, and how their personality affects, and is effected by, the environment.

• Wuhtah locked this topic