Are long /me's signs of a good roleplayer?

mojojojo

If you're incapable of writing out a long emote when the situations calls for it, I would say you're a bad roleplayer. "Reading the room" is really the thing here. Don't go into a scene as a third party, where your character is barely welcome, trying to write a novel.

However, if you're replying to a straight-forward question with a "/me shrugs", it's not any worse than "/me rolls his shoulders into a shrug". Most people know what it means to shrug, chuckle or smirk. 

6 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Like not /me pats down XYZ /b showtimes.

The last situation I remember involving /b showtimes was one of the worst. There was lots of shooting, a cruise liner was destroyed, and a taxi driver negotiated a hostage situation by killing someone.

The opera was dope tho, 10/10, would go again if the singer hadn't been killed.

6 hours ago, mojojojo said:

So I just wanted to make it clear that are longer detailed /me's are a sign of good roleplay, or clear, concise and shorter /me's sufficient?

Short /me's are fine, and long /me's can be great too. The main element is that they need to be QUALITY /me's first and foremost. Short or long, a /me can be boring either way if you're careless.

• Upvote 1

The answer to this is, as Jordan Belfort would say: "absolutely fucking not".

I like roleplaying, but I don't like to spend an hour roleplaying with someone when it can be done in half the time. Elongating /me's with fluff does nothing for nobody, and doesn't make a character look any more descriptive. What matters is not how long your /me's are, but how well presented they actually are. Keeping it short and sweet benefits everyone, in both reading, and time.

I had more enjoyable roleplay sessions with people when it just flows, with conversation and action, without awkward boring pauses that make me lose interest. I hate having to wait for a few minutes just for someone to voluntarily type out something long. It's a nuisance, and shouldn't even be allowed. Very immersion-breaking too. Fact of the matter is: no, K.I.S.S. - Keep ISimple, Stupid.

No, it's pretty simple. If you're able to summarize your actions without missing out on information, you're probably a better RPer than the guys who practically "rant" about whatever in their /me.

For example, I prefer seeing 

* John Doe pulls out some cash and offers it to Jimmy Cashier.

instead of 

* John Doe reaches his left hand into his pocket and withdraws his leather wallet. John digs a few crumbled dollar bills out from his pocket and offers them over to Jimmy, before putting the wallet back inside his pocket.

While it may flow better, at the end of the day, it's impractical.

Situational. If you're entering a house interior with a group of friends that are just chillin together and you start busting out paragraphs while everyone is just /me chuckles, it's a little awkward.

On the other hand, if you're in a serious roleplay situation where people are putting detail into their roleplay while immersed in the situation and you go /me grabs X. /me picks it up. /me smiles — it's a little awkward on that side too.

It's all about the situation. Roleplay isn't ONLY just about the quality of your /me's (though still important, I feel), but about how you develop your character and if you're following what makes sense for your character.

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Pádraig said:

your /me's are such a small part of the overall body of work as a roleplayer that its almost insignificant. you can write the most wonderful, majestic, Shakespearean /me's and you to still be bad roleplayer 

Bruh what bodywork? GTA was never meant to be a roleplaying game, so apart from emotes you can either chat, shoot or drive.

• Wuhtah locked this topic