[GUIDE] Off-roading with Dirt Bikes & Quads!

logo.png

As an avid Off-roader and founder of one of the largest Off-Roading groups in GTAW, I thought I'd make a guide for those wanting to get some insight and further information on Off Road Dirt Bikes, how to handle them, and going about RP!

Section One
Know your vehicle!

Spoiler

Track Tested | 2020 SML 250 MX Shootout - Swapmoto Live

There are a few Off-road Dirt Bikes offered in game. Many offer different capabilities and special specifications. These will be outline later.

Alas, here are some if not all of the Off-Road Dirt Bikes you can find at Sanders Motorcycles and Utilities Vehicle Sales

Gargoyle
Cliffhanger

Esskey

Nemesis

Sanchez
BF400

Manchez

Here are a few Quad options as well.

Blazer
Street Blazer

Section Two
What can I pack on a dirt bike or quad?

Spoiler

Dirt Bike, Off-Road, Motocross Motorcycles | Cycle World

Unlike regular vehicles, cargo space on a dirt bike or quad is scarce. Thus, you will have to put some thought into what you bring (and what you rp to bring along with you)

Equipment you should consider!

First Aid Kit
Emergency Water

Emergency Food
Hand Tools (Wrenches, Socket Sets)
LED Work Light / Flash light

Tire Repair Kit. 

Navigation system (One which utilizes both L1 and L2 frequencies of GNSS / GPS / Beidou / Galileo and GLONASS Satellites)

When I was working on Remote Pipelines, I always ensured these were packed on my quad. It is better to have them and not need them. 

Section Three
Riding in the Rain / Wet Weather

Spoiler

90383819_m-1-1024x683.jpg

Contrary to Off-Road vehicles, motorbikes are severely limited when it comes to what they can and can not do while trailing. Let's consider some parameters.

Most Off-Road motorbikes are protected by hardened plastic guards as opposed to a metal casing. Thus, driving your bike in, through, or around water is a dangerous endeavor. Dirt bikes were made for riding in the rain, so it's safe to ride them in wet weather. However, if a dirt bike is left out or operated in heavy rain for an extended period of time without being ridden, both cosmetic and mechanical damage can occur.  

What are the Risks? 

Cosmetically speaking, some people worry that riding their bike in the rain will rust their vehicle. Some might worry that the wet ground will make mud stick to their dirt bike more severely than usual, which can cause paint scratching or chipping when cleaning. While it's true that rain and other water sources cause rusting on your dirt bike, you can avoid the issue by regularly cleaning your bike, straight after the trail and ride home. 

Mechanically speaking, water cam cause severe damage to your bike, but only if it gets into the Motor parts of the bike. Ensure your hardened plastic shell pieces are in tact, and that intake and exhaust valves remain unclogged. 

Section Four
Gears

Spoiler

Tricks To Cleaning Dirt Bike Engine Cases - YouTube

Most if not all dirt bikes have five gears, the majority of bikes are manual gears with a clutch. The gears on a dirt bike are always arranged in the same way. This is with first gear on a one click down, neutral sits between first and second gear, and all other gears are selected by clicking up. So, the gear arraignment is as follows

First Gear

Neutral

2nd Gear

3rd Gear

4th Gear

5th Gear

The gear shifter is located on the left side of most bikes, it sits just in front of the foot peg. To shift gears on a bike, this is done with the left foot. With the middle of your foot on the foot peg, used as the pivot point. The front of the foot is used to move the gear shift level. 

Example: To move into first gear, you put the bottom of your foot on top of the gear shift and push it down one click. To change from first to second gear, you put the top of your food under the gear shift and click it up. 

For most Manual Quads, you start in Neutral, and click upwards to increase the gear, and press downwards on the gear shift lever to decrease the gear. 

If Dirt Bikes come with a clutch, you will need to disengage the power being outputted by the engine and onto the transmission / Driveline. To do this, you need to pull on the clutch lever, which is located on the left handlebar, where the front brake clutch would be. 

However, most dirt bikes and quads are considered 'on the fly', and do not require a clutch lever to operate. 

Section Five

What can my bike do? (Realistic Portrayal)

Spoiler

Impossible Climb - Belgium - Andler / Schönberg - YouTube

With the GEOgraphical dynamic of GTA 5, there are a lot of hills, mountains, and trials to partake in. However, dirt bikes are not super vehicles, no matter how many trips and dollars you've dumped in player ran Mechanic Shops. In this section, we'll dive into the realistic portrayal of operating a dirt bike. 

What sort of things can I do easily on a Dirt Bike?

- Climbing sand, mud, or dirt hills, berms, and other lightly inclined surfaces. 

- Go off small dirt jumps 

- Turn corners easily

- Accelerate quickly

What sort of things will be difficult but not impossible to do on a bike?

- Climbing rocky terrain, or any terrain with an inclination greater than 50° (assuming 0° is horizontally planar with the ground).
- Navigate through moving currents such as rivers and streams. 

- Go off large dirt, gravel, sand, or rocky jumps. 

Take this into consideration when you decide to off road with a dirt bike or quad. Realistic Portrayal is a large aspect of GTA World, and you might find yourself speaking with a Game Administrator if you are not handling your bike or quad realistically. 

Remember, just because you can do something in GTA World, does not mean you can do it in real life. Always exercise prejudice and consistently ask yourself if what you're doing is realistic, and in line with the Server Rules. 

I hope this has provided you with some insight on Dirt Bikes in GTA World. It's a lot of fun if you exercise realism in your RP. Here is an Off-Roading Guide I have made, if you are interested in Vehicle capabilities and portrayal.

As always, see you on the Trails!

Your friend,

Geo.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2
  • effion locked this topic