Character Design & Hiding behind Offensive Roleplay Rules

SCANDALOUZ

6 hours ago, Gambler said:

This is why I personally stopped roleplaying here. Everyone turns to snowflake and a SJW when they find it suitable. All these people RP having a gun in their trousers or like lesbians in their purses, ready to kill in cold blood in every corner and in every moment, without post-traumatic disorder or any consquence at all.  But when the coin flips against them, all of a sudden they're the most uncomfortable little snowflake angel that can't handle a bit of graphic RP.  /me cuts his hands. is the same with /me unloads a full clip on Jhon Doe, Oh ye, they also go back to make sure the target is dead by, /me finishes Jhon Doe with a bullet between his eyes. 

Sooo, either ban any criminal/violent RP and put a rainbow above LS, or remove all censorships and let people suffer the consequences and natural order of their RP.

If you think that banning rape roleplay is snowflakey SJW behavior, then I'm personally happy that you left.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

Drama aside, the core of this topic is one of many double standards on the server. One may have no issues with their character doing bad to others, but when it is bound to happen to their own, they can use a cheap cop out with existing rules.

Now what can you do against it? Really not a lot from the server. Altering the rules with an exception or forcing people to engage into roleplay that is considered "offensive" on the server rules opens windows for predatory behaviors. All you can do is plead for common sense and common courtesy of these players. If one engages in torture of other characters - in which they are comfortable with said roleplay in some way - they should also be ready to end up on the receiving end when things go wrong - may this be agreeing to the roleplay or fade 2 black.

On 6/29/2021 at 11:07 PM, SCANDALOUZ said:

"My character killed a child, but I don't want to role play him losing an arm, nor him being armless, because that makes me uncomfortable."

I want to discuss with you guys a specific kind of characters and how they can often "hide" from consequences that are borderline expected/natural for such characters by pointing to the offensive roleplay rules

Hi @SCANDALOUZ

I get what you're saying, but your points in your original post were very unclear.  I had to read it, then read pages of comments, then re-read your original post.  

That said, I'll take your word for it that there are plenty of players who will have their characters rp out detailed offensive scenes when they're doing it to another character, but then they'll hide behind the rules when IC circumstances occur that put their character on the receiving end of the same offensive roleplay.

Yes, hiding behind the rules to escape reasonable IC consequences of one's actions is a bullshit move.  It's an abuse of the rules, and IMO players who engage in offensive roleplay, and then say they're offended by the same offensive roleplay so it can't happen to their character, should be reported for shit rp.  The issue is clearly not offensive roleplay, it's such players trying to get out of the consequences of their actions.  They want to swim in shark-infested waters, and even bite other sharks, but not get bitten by sharks.  This is bullshit.

That said, 

The rules should not be changed because that will open the door to even worse abuse.  Consent, consent, consent, first, last, and always.  If the rules are changed so that players cannot refuse rp in some circumstances, then jackasses who want to ruin other people's rp and get off on their demented power fantasies will strive with all their might to twist IC events and misinterpret the rules to oocly put one over on another player/character.  This cannot be allowed to happen, even if players who abuse the rules get away with it.

Some possible solutions.

• CK the bastards.  If they refuse FTB for the same shit they've been doing, CK them.
  • Report for poor roleplay and/or abusing the rules if players refuse FTB for the same shit they've been doing.  Work with staff so they understand what's going on, so when you report they understand.
  • Work with IFM to identify such people, and refuse to consent to their offensive rp unless they state then and there that they consent to having the same thing done to their characters, and screenshot it.  If then refuse in the future, then report them for rule abuse/shit rp, CK them, and refuse any of their alts entry to organized crime factions.

@DLimit wasn't suggesting anything new, and he wasn't even suggesting anything.  He was stating that murder and rape are both horrifying terrible violent crimes, and he didn't understand why one was so casually committed in the server while another, even between oocly consenting players, was banned despite being previously allowed with constant post by post ooc consent.  Of course the answer to his question is that some very sick people gravitate toward servers that allow it, and then they inflict their sick garbage on as many characters as they can before they get banned.  It's a serious problem, and that is what staff is protecting the server from by banning it completely.  The staff probably changed the rule on that because they had to.  Stuff like that has to be smashed down as soon as possible or the server will become a disgusting cesspool. 

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, Thirteen said:

If you think that banning rape roleplay is snowflakey SJW behavior, then I'm personally happy that you left.

You reading between the lines is the perfect example and the representative of every single person in GTAW, and their ability to properly read an argument, understand that argument, and formulate one of their own. I'm not gonna losse braincells trying to make you understand that what I'm saying is, PEOPLE USE THE RULE WHEN THEY FIND IT SUITABLE.  Don't be dense. 

Edited by Gambler
10 minutes ago, Gambler said:

You reading between the lines is the perfect example and the representative of every single person in GTAW, and their ability to properly read an argument, understand that argument, and formulate one of their own. I'm not gonna losse braincells trying to make you understand that what I'm saying is, PEOPLE USE THE RULE WHEN THEY FIND IT SUITABLE.  Don't be dense. 

So you've never used a rule to your advantage either? What do you expect people to say when you explicitly state you want rape rp back? Seems extremely ignorant and insensitive to other people's feelings and the need to protect vulnerable players from predatory behaviour. Like @Thirteen said, I'm very glad you left.

12 hours ago, orca112 said:

Drama aside, the core of this topic is one of many double standards on the server. One may have no issues with their character doing bad to others, but when it is bound to happen to their own, they can use a cheap cop out with existing rules.

Now what can you do against it? Really not a lot from the server. Altering the rules with an exception or forcing people to engage into roleplay that is considered "offensive" on the server rules opens windows for predatory behaviors. All you can do is plead for common sense and common courtesy of these players. If one engages in torture of other characters - in which they are comfortable with said roleplay in some way - they should also be ready to end up on the receiving end when things go wrong - may this be agreeing to the roleplay or fade 2 black.

congratulations on being one of the few that actually understood the thread

it would be difficult to depend on all players to have common sense/courtesy, it was easier to do when the community was smaller because almost everyone knew each other but now anyone can feel unnoticed in a big server and be out to "win"

i commented this earlier but i think there should be rules where anyone joining a gang should have an automatic opt in to violent roleplay because that's the path they chose, and in the worst case, they can do the fade to black thing but still have to rp the physical consequences on their character, you can't do much about civilians or solo hardman rpers but it wouldn't be too weird for gang members to expect some violence along the way

9 hours ago, jcat said:

The server doesn't, it really doesn't.  

i think nervous/management/whoever else try where possible but you and i both know how many "realistic" features get turned down/criticised by players purely because it's inconvenient

whether or not those contribute to more realistic characters/stories, i don't know, but it shouldn't be pick and choose

Edited by shaobadman
27 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

So you've never used a rule to your advantage either? What do you expect people to say when you explicitly state you want rape rp back? Seems extremely ignorant and insensitive to other people's feelings and the need to protect vulnerable players from predatory behaviour. Like @Thirteen said, I'm very glad you left.

What about my feelings towards killing? What do you know about my experiences with guns and violence? You see, this is what you fail to understand. If someone wants to RP a cold blood killer, they're already signing up for that kind of RP. Anyway. Rape RP is not what I'm advocating for, thats just what you keep brining up despite the thread owner saying multiple times his focus is not that, and me too I've said clearly multiple times, it's about PEOPLE SUFFERING THE CONSEQUENCES AND THE NATURAL ORDER OF THEIR ACTIONS.  If someone wants to identify themselves as an illegal RPer, they should be ready to face themselves with any kind of RP.  That is part of the reasons why I always stayed in the legal side of RP and always tried to hang out with other legal RPers. Mainly GOV, Civilians and ULSA.  
Closing statement. : It's about double standarts, not rape rp. I feel for everyone. 

EDIT: Oh ye. About explicitly stating I want rape RP back. Please quote me.

Edited by Gambler