Concern Citizen Calls

3 minutes ago, BjornV said:

How is a wildcard metagaming..?

The entire system of concerned citizen calls can be considered metagaming.

But that's why admins are allowed to do it acting as game master to further RP (Or harm it at times)

Having a random system would be the most fair system you could implement beyond absolutely trashing the system-- Which would be unfair to the people getting robbed.

"concerned citizen calls can be considered metagaming." Well, concerned citizens call is not really a metagaming side, but rather a common courtesy part when you see something where there would obviously be passerby's seeing the action happen, they'd call the cops.

"How is a wildcard metagaming..?"
Well, it's easy: If a robber is required by rules to flipcoin whether or not a 911 call will be made by a citizen or an admin, and sees that the result is "NO CALL", what would prevent him from taking all his time knowing well than no call would be made? 

Personally, I do not believe "Concern Citizen" should be a thing. I do not mind if you put a normal call, fine by me but, the moment you put "Concerned Citizen", there is no doubt that every LEO member will MG it into thinking the call is actually legitimate and there will be action involved.

Instead, much like what bonky said, the more time they take robbing a place, the more evidences there should be for LEO to investigate and catch them through various ways.

8 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

Personally, I do not believe "Concern Citizen" should be a thing. I do not mind if you put a normal call, fine by me but, the moment you put "Concerned Citizen", there is no doubt that every LEO member will MG it into thinking the call is actually legitimate and there will be action involved.

Instead, much like what bonky said, the more time they take robbing a place, the more evidences there should be for LEO to investigate and catch them through various ways.

And especially now after this discussion.

34 minutes ago, HappyPancake said:

"concerned citizen calls can be considered metagaming." Well, concerned citizens call is not really a metagaming side, but rather a common courtesy part when you see something where there would obviously be passerby's seeing the action happen, they'd call the cops.

"How is a wildcard metagaming..?"
Well, it's easy: If a robber is required by rules to flipcoin whether or not a 911 call will be made by a citizen or an admin, and sees that the result is "NO CALL", what would prevent him from taking all his time knowing well than no call would be made? 

Then the wildcard isn't the metagaming part. It's the robber. Besides, the robber isn't the one flipping the coin. It's the staff member. Just like staff members decide now when an NPC call gets made.

Edited by BjornV
14 minutes ago, Dislord said:

Why should you get a hint lol?

Because there is a very real consequence present for being caught by law enforcement and it isn't another player calling or notifying the authorities but a fictional manifestation which cannot be combated or otherwise refuted in any capacity?

Put it to you like this: my character's sitting in jail for 297 years because of that call and is furthermore unable to use the defense of "oh I was a hostage" because it destroys any plausible deniability on who the hostages were and who the hostage taker was. I.e. only two hostages, both female, and one masked male.

How is that okay?

Edited by radreaper100

Concerned citizen call is very much needed.

The idea of tying up people inside a liquor store is insane. You just take the money from the register and leave, you don't take your time and check everywhere for "stashes" and act like everything is okay and dandy. It's a high stress situation where you should be acting quickly, not crowd controlling two people.

When it comes to break-ins, they're still needed. It requires people to act carefully. Without it, people would have free reign to smash up an entire home with no repercussions. Start smashing walls open looking for lootskies and ripping TV's off the wall. I can recall a time when I had broken into a home with some people, one of them legitimately smashed open a potted flower looking for anything valuable. Ridiculous to look there and to smash it as if nobody would care.

On top of this, Staff's time is important and being granted a break-in request is a favor, not a right. Without a concerned citizen call, somebody could take thirty minutes or longer, checking every nook in a home and holding up staff's time.

Swinging back to your situation, it sounds like the admin didn't call the cops until AFTER you had tied up your hostages which sounds like you had a lot of time on your hands. If the hostages were left in the middle of the store, on the floor, then somebody would probably be able to see them, right? And how would you expect to "blend in" with two hostages? This isn't "Inside Job".

I think the only thing that could be better here is if the staff watching the robbery at least gave you a "/do a pedestrian walks up to the store's door, peaks inside and walks away" and that's only because the call was from somebody who attemped to enter the store, meaning not all concerned citizen calls would require a /do.

• Upvote 1

While it certainly has the potential to be abused, the Concerned Citizen calls actually provide balance in my opinion. 

Not so much about the fact that robbers may be taking too long or making too much noise, but in regards to the fact that a lot of the time, someone would be home. 

Robberies that take place at 5 am server time are great because less people are online and there's less of a chance to be caught. However as someone mentioned before, most people aren't RP'ing in their homes as much as they'd realistically be inside of them, whether they're out RP'ing or just not in game. The chance that any robbery would be successful due to nobody being inside the residence, especially in the middle of the night, is exponentially higher on the server than in real life. 

Breakin requests taking forever to get approved is one thing, but the owner of the property not being inside because they're offline or RP'ing elsewhere is almost a guarantee. Especially if there's no property alarm, it's quite literally a guaranteed win, unless of course there's nothing found inside the property. Concerned Citizen calls help to combat this. 

It'd make sense for there to sometimes be a /do put out that someone walks by before the call is made, etc. If the MG of the "Concerned Citizen" name is a big enough issue, the caller name being changed wouldn't be a bad thing. I think the system works fine now, though.

Edited by Katja
2 hours ago, Beholder said:

Concerned citizen call is very much needed.

The idea of tying up people inside a liquor store is insane. You just take the money from the register and leave, you don't take your time and check everywhere for "stashes" and act like everything is okay and dandy. It's a high stress situation where you should be acting quickly, not crowd controlling two people.

When it comes to break-ins, they're still needed. It requires people to act carefully. Without it, people would have free reign to smash up an entire home with no repercussions. Start smashing walls open looking for lootskies and ripping TV's off the wall. I can recall a time when I had broken into a home with some people, one of them legitimately smashed open a potted flower looking for anything valuable. Ridiculous to look there and to smash it as if nobody would care.

On top of this, Staff's time is important and being granted a break-in request is a favor, not a right. Without a concerned citizen call, somebody could take thirty minutes or longer, checking every nook in a home and holding up staff's time.

Swinging back to your situation, it sounds like the admin didn't call the cops until AFTER you had tied up your hostages which sounds like you had a lot of time on your hands. If the hostages were left in the middle of the store, on the floor, then somebody would probably be able to see them, right? And how would you expect to "blend in" with two hostages? This isn't "Inside Job".

I think the only thing that could be better here is if the staff watching the robbery at least gave you a "/do a pedestrian walks up to the store's door, peaks inside and walks away" and that's only because the call was from somebody who attemped to enter the store, meaning not all concerned citizen calls would require a /do.

Except that isn't what happened and in a city where everyone and their mother has a firearm, tying up TWO PEOPLE isn't anywhere beyond unreasonable. There wasn't even a chance to say more then a few things to them before the call went through.

Point is it was pretty reprehensible.

Also I'm not doing the robbery JUST for monetary gain, I'm doing it to actually interact with people. Subverting that with an NPC'd call is counterintuitive and absolutely confusing as to what has been established.

Furthermore no, the two hostages were not near the window, and last but not least an actual player called 911 before the admin for a less than overt reason (theirs was something like the door is locked and my GF is inside) whereas the admin's a minute after was flat-out "masked male holding two women hostage!" it made it impossible to RP with the police and convince them everything was O.K. with one of the hostages during the welfare check.

Edited by radreaper100
13 minutes ago, radreaper100 said:

Except that isn't what happened and in a city where everyone and their mother has a firearm, tying up TWO PEOPLE isn't anywhere beyond unreasonable. There wasn't even a chance to say more then a few things to them before the call went through.

Point is it was pretty reprehensible.

Also I'm not doing the robbery JUST for monetary gain, I'm doing it to actually interact with people. Subverting that with an NPC'd call is counterintuitive and absolutely confusing as to what has been established.

Furthermore no, the two hostages were not near the window, and last but not least an actual player called 911 before the admin for a less than overt reason (theirs was something like the door is locked and my GF is inside) whereas the admin's a minute after was flat-out "masked male holding two women hostage!" it made it impossible to RP with the police and convince them everything was O.K. with one of the hostages during the welfare check.

Everyone being armed is actually a result of high crime rate in the city, plus every store has cameras, don't you think you would be caught and arrested anyway? Even if you managed to escape, they could still identify you, I mean cops and shopkeepers aren't idiots. It is impossible to blend in with 2 hostages. Also even if you shot all cameras, the feed of what happened before the cameras were shot, is still saved.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Wuhtah locked this topic