Concern Citizen Calls

I feel like the deck is so stacked against illegal roleplayers that LEO roleplayers don't really need the heads-up in the form of a CC call. Like Houston said, if you don't have home security in the form of an alarm, that's on you. If you REALLY have to make a CC call, five minutes is way too strict of a time limit.

24 minutes ago, Thread said:

I feel like the deck is so stacked against illegal roleplayers that LEO roleplayers don't really need the heads-up in the form of a CC call. Like Houston said, if you don't have home security in the form of an alarm, that's on you. If you REALLY have to make a CC call, five minutes is way too strict of a time limit.

This. I think it’s greatly unfair to time and limit someone’s roleplay and call the police on them because they take too long. As someone who has spent most of their time as an illegal roleplayer I’m not a fan of this.

I'm kinda 50/50 on it to be fair. On one hand, it makes sense. But on the other, I don't agree with it.

You shouldn't be telling normal civilians things like "Even though it would realistically be a busy road, a populated area, etc, it doesn't matter, if a player isn't there & nobody calls the police, then they aren't there & nobody has called the police." Then go make NPCed phone calls about "Concerned Citizens" calling the police when someone does burglaries despite no actual players witnessing it form the outside and calling the police. (Ref; https://forum.gta.world/en/topic/49987-official-standing-about-ic-population-portrayal-thoughts/page/23/ )

Here's an exact quote from the above reference; "If you are on a public street during daylight and someone sticks you up, assume the street is empty while the stickup is occurring. If there are people on the street, let them call 911. If they aren't calling 911, then that's an IC issue." With that official standpoint, logically speaking if nobody but the people inside the store or nobody but the suspects see it happening, an NPC calling the police shouldn't be allowed, no?

In theory, it's a decent idea, and works if it's an apartment where it has an alarm but it doesn't work as stated above, or if it's a big scale bank robbery type of thing. But when it's a situation such as the OP stated, when it restricts valid RP like that and goes against the whole "If nobody witnessed it, then nobody witnessed it" standpoint that appears to be around, then it just doesn't work and doesn't sit right. Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just my two cents.

Edited by PeopleKind

I reserve those calls for 2 reasons, the first being that the people doing the breakin are doing so obnoxiously.  In the event that they're out there with a prybar trying to break the door down, or any other means of entry that would make a ton of noise or draw a lot of attention, I make a point to note in a /do that what they're trying to do is also causing a ruckus, making a lot of noise (and likely not even working.)  It's a subtle hint that someone might hear it.    And in that event, I will do a call some-time into the robbery if there isn't an alarm, but more like 15 minutes in.    

The second is if there's no alarm and it's clear they are going to be checking through every tiny little area in the hopes of scoring.  I don't mind people being thorough but I also don't want to be there for an hour or two while the bathroom vent is unscrewed and checked.  And I'm a very patient person!  Fifteen, twenty minutes tops before I call for that.

Robberies have unfortunately lost a lot of their freedom due to GTA Online heisters or Twitch Bots who want to act like they're on NoPixel.

Admin involvement is unfortunately necessary, and this is a subtle enough way for them to keep players in check through in-character means. I believe it is fair.

• Upvote 2

I find that Concerned Citizen systems are fine, especially to punish people who are just being reckless. Once you're in an interior you're out of earshot from everyone else, yet current admin-confirmed precedent states that we are in fact not the sole inhabitants of Los Santos and there's an NPC population that should be assumed exists. Ultimately people are playing a game hoping the homeowner hasn't used /stash, to hide the actual assets that people are going after. If you have no information on the house and you haven't done any sort of surveillance to know what you're looking for, then you really shouldn't expect to be able to have a lot of time.

I think it's also fair because players who are disconnected but are active characters often IC would not really be too far away from their home or would actually realistically be at home at given times, but the amount of empty houses is not representative of the amount of people actively living there.

It's a hard balance, but as long as admins reward planning and punish recklessness through IC means, I think it's a nice little RP avenue.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, BjornV said:

Instead of having 1 set standard defined (Either calls during the incident or after) why not move away from admin discretion just slightly and enter a wildcard?
An admin flips a coin/rolls a dice/uses another random generator.

The outcome of this determines how the CC comes into play.

As an example!

Coin flips: Heads/tails

Heads: A nine-one-one call will be made during the robbery

Tails: A nine-one-one call will be made soon after the robbery ends

Dice:
1: 5 minutes time

2: 10 minutes time

3: no call

4: 15 minutes time

5: 20 minutes time

6: no call

Or just a random generator added to the script that chooses: /ccdice

"A call will be made in 10 minutes" or  "a call will be made in 8 minutes" or "a call will not be made"

Having a wildcard in here instead of leaving it up entirely to admin discretion might make the process more fair and streamlined to all parties involved.

And then when this is done, the admin will maintain some form of discretion (IF someone is blasting an ak-47 throughout the entire neighborhood then yeah, a call will be made. that's stupid of yourself)

Slightly OT: I do believe that breakins need more attention overal. Quite often it is that we come to a door without even a /cim "door would be lockpicked/broken down", then inside there's 0 /cim's either. Reporting for an admin is fruitless, as sometimes one simply won't/can't come. I believe quality of roleplay should favor speediness.

Honestly, both flipcoin and dice are a bad idea overall. This is just metagaming served on a plate. 

You know the result of your flipcoin, and I'm pretty sure people braking in will metagame the fact that no call was made or will be, and take some sweet sweet unrealistic time when they shouldn't know IC if it's been called or not.

1 hour ago, Koko said:

I find that Concerned Citizen systems are fine, especially to punish people who are just being reckless. Once you're in an interior you're out of earshot from everyone else, yet current admin-confirmed precedent states that we are in fact not the sole inhabitants of Los Santos and there's an NPC population that should be assumed exists. Ultimately people are playing a game hoping the homeowner hasn't used /stash, to hide the actual assets that people are going after. If you have no information on the house and you haven't done any sort of surveillance to know what you're looking for, then you really shouldn't expect to be able to have a lot of time.

I think it's also fair because players who are disconnected but are active characters often IC would not really be too far away from their home or would actually realistically be at home at given times, but the amount of empty houses is not representative of the amount of people actively living there.

It's a hard balance, but as long as admins reward planning and punish recklessness through IC means, I think it's a nice little RP avenue.

Hey there Koko, where do you see this precedent that has been set where we are to assume there is an NPC population? Because that is actually the complete opposite of what we've been told. So I'm actually very confused about this whole "Concerned citizen call" thing too as it completely opposes what has been said before. We're to roleplay what we see, if there was nobody around to witness the crime, then nobody can call 911. It's all very contradictionary and I've noticed that some admins have a completely different opinion on the matter. You can also see on some forum reports that certain punishments, or lack thereof are completely dependent on the way the admin thinks in relation to the NPC population and therefore indirectly also the amount of fear a "civilian" should portray in this crazy city. 

It would be extremely unfair, and very hard to follow if we have to pretend there's a huge population UNTIL a crime happens to your character and nobody will perform a concerned citizen call because they saw it from their apartment, or their house. Or anywhere else. And then in this very confusing instance, suddenly there are NPC's watching you commit a crime even though it was literally stated before that if the street is empty, pretend its empty. I am completely lost, I don't follow anymore. I don't know when to pretend we live in a Thanos snapped world, or in a populated one. Every admin seems to have their own take on it, and even if its publicly mentioned like Bospy did? Things don't seem to get any better or any clearer, they seem to be getting stranger, much stranger. Contradictions everywhere.

Edited by Martyn
  • Upvote 3
  • Wuhtah locked this topic