Concern Citizen Calls

21 minutes ago, Rohan. said:

The main reason behind using the concerned citizen name is that people know that it's an admin so they shouldn't involve the concerned citizen in any rp or use their statement or anything in court, which only helps the case of criminal. If we start using random name, it only leaves the LEO's wondering how a person that does not exist on the dabatabase called the police.

Makes sense 🙂

• Upvote 1
Just now, Seanny said:

When I handle breakins, I usually make Concerned Citizen calls if the burglars spend more than 5 minutes inside a property. If you're going to be doing breakins; ideally you want to be in and out, if the suspects are doing long emotes though then I'll extend the 5 minutes on a case-by-case basis.

If it's in the middle of nowhere like slap-bang in the desert or forest, no way I'm making a CC call.

You want to tell me that you (and probably other admins) are giving people ONLY FIVE MINUTES, to search the whole house and rob it, after they wait for 2 hours to have their breakin request handled? 

2 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I think the entire concerned citizen thing is pretty cool but it sort of contradicts what was established by Bospy & IFM. In their own words, they have said that regardless of the time of the day and location robberies/criminal activities can occur and as long as it makes sense with the server continuity and common sense it should be roleplayed as if there was no witnesses present, unless there were actual players present. I think the entire "concerned citizen" system should be standardized to a degree and made very clear on the forums, right now I believe it falls under the entire admin discretion thing which makes it stupid and potentially leaves a lot of wiggle room for abuse.

2 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I think the entire concerned citizen thing is pretty cool but it sort of contradicts what was established by Bospy & IFM. In their own words, they have said that regardless of the time of the day and location robberies/criminal activities can occur and as long as it makes sense with the server continuity and common sense it should be roleplayed as if there was no witnesses present, unless there were actual players present. I think the entire "concerned citizen" system should be standardized to a degree and made very clear on the forums, right now I believe it falls under the entire admin discretion thing which makes it stupid and potentially leaves a lot of wiggle room for abuse.

I think also there's a potential issue because normally if you report something, the police would contact you and try to get a statement which is impossible if the "concerned citizen" system is used, which also leads to more concerns. There's also a huge chance that if the offender pled not guilty and they'd actually go through the system, somebody would like to subpoena them as a witness & this would be impossible as well. So adding all of this onto my previous post, I believe that this system is very flawed at the moment.

2 hours ago, Rohan. said:

I'm not a fan of how currently the crime is being committed. The whole concept of Concerned Citizen is to keep things like break-in on a check. We can't just allow a person to break into a house and scope it around for hours without any consequences, that's not how it works. There needs to be some balance.

Also, the concept of Concerned Citizen is mainly used when the robbers are not exactly being smart about stuff, i.e. breaking into mansions, breaking into highly populated area, breaking in using dumb methods (like smashing windows and stuff). The system is in place for a very good reason why it needs to be removed.

People might argue that it goes against the ruling made by IFM, but concept of Concerned Citizen is not lightly used, as far as I know it's only used in one scenario and that is break-ins. 

People talk about balance, but if everything goes unchecked then there's no balance.

The 911 was sent out mere minutes after I entered the store. I had no time to do anything except tell the two to get on the ground.

33 minutes ago, Seanny said:

When I handle breakins, I usually make Concerned Citizen calls if the burglars spend more than 5 minutes inside a property. If you're going to be doing breakins; ideally you want to be in and out, if the suspects are doing long emotes though then I'll extend the 5 minutes on a case-by-case basis.

If it's in the middle of nowhere like slap-bang in the desert or forest, no way I'm making a CC call.

This was the robbery you overseen the other night, that call was the one you made. I get you don't want people walking around with "free reign" but do we want to really ditch quality interactions between suspects and victims in light of going fast-fast-fast? 

The concerned citizen system is just not optimised at all. Whilst from the admin responses I’ve seen they’ve all stated that they’ll only call if somebody’s been inside a property for a long time or being stupid by burgling in a rich neighborhood, we literally had a CC call yesterday of two masked males inside of a complex in Forum Dr, the 911 call insinuated they JUST went in.

To me it appears as if 99% of the breakins end from police response, either from an alarm, and if there’s no alarm, the CC calls, making it heavily unbalanced for criminal role players.

So a much better alternative would be actually taking the time to cooperate with the illegal party, let them role play what they want to role play, and once they leave, set down CIMs that would indicate evidence left on the scene, I.e broken window, a random black glove on the floor, a TV that has prints on it, etc. After this is all done a CC call could come in. This then allows for investigators to role play the scenario. This is something I’ve never see admins do, but it would leave the scene to a way better ending for both parties.

Edited by bonk
  • Upvote 4
38 minutes ago, bonk said:

The concerned citizen system is just not optimised at all. Whilst from the admin responses I’ve seen they’ve all stated that they’ll only call if somebody’s been inside a property for a long time or being stupid by burgling in a rich neighborhood, we literally had a CC call yesterday of two masked males inside of a complex in Forum Dr, the 911 call insinuated they JUST went in.

To me it appears as if 99% of the breakins end from police response, either from an alarm, and if there’s no alarm, the CC calls, making it heavily unbalanced for criminal role players.

So much of a better alternative would be actually taking the time to cooperate with the illegal party, let them role play what they want to role play, and once they leave, set down CIMs that would indicate evidence left on the scene, I.e broken window, random black glove on the floor, a TV that appears to have attempted to be taken off a bracket and it has prints on either side, etc. This then allows for investigators to role play the scenario. THEN call as a CC saying that a door in your neighborhood was smashed open. This is something I’ve never see admins do, but it would leave the scene to a way better ending for both parties.

Instead of having 1 set standard defined (Either calls during the incident or after) why not move away from admin discretion just slightly and enter a wildcard?
An admin flips a coin/rolls a dice/uses another random generator.

The outcome of this determines how the CC comes into play.

As an example!

Coin flips: Heads/tails

Heads: A nine-one-one call will be made during the robbery

Tails: A nine-one-one call will be made soon after the robbery ends

Dice:
1: 5 minutes time

2: 10 minutes time

3: no call

4: 15 minutes time

5: 20 minutes time

6: no call

Or just a random generator added to the script that chooses: /ccdice

"A call will be made in 10 minutes" or  "a call will be made in 8 minutes" or "a call will not be made"

Having a wildcard in here instead of leaving it up entirely to admin discretion might make the process more fair and streamlined to all parties involved.

And then when this is done, the admin will maintain some form of discretion (IF someone is blasting an ak-47 throughout the entire neighborhood then yeah, a call will be made. that's stupid of yourself)

Slightly OT: I do believe that breakins need more attention overal. Quite often it is that we come to a door without even a /cim "door would be lockpicked/broken down", then inside there's 0 /cim's either. Reporting for an admin is fruitless, as sometimes one simply won't/can't come. I believe quality of roleplay should favor speediness.

Personally I'm not a fan of the concerned citizen calls. And the reason being is because sometimes it feels like that the admins doing them is really bird dogging the people involved.

Example:
On more than one occasion someone has escaped from an SD work detail. And it never fails that when that happens, 911 calls flood in basically tracking this person almost every 5-10 minutes on the dot. So what comes out of it is the ability to track them almost in real time. They're on foot, they can't get very far in between those calls.

I think that's kind of cheesy that is done. Like if the person gets away, give 1 or 2 max at varying times, but if they make it, let them make it. It just felt like 911's were going to keep coming in until dudes were found. And that really takes away from their RP and the LEO's RP. You're not catching them because you were smart enough to track them. You're catching them because a seemingly vast network of "concerned citizens" gave you up to the minute details on their location.

Personally, I’ve never done a CC call. I haven’t specced many business robberies but I’ve done plenty of houses. In my opinion, if you decided to not get an alarm installed then that’s on you. The players performing the robbery should be able to carefully go through the house and take their time. If someone is taking 20 minutes and trying to rip up the floorboard, then yeah, I’d probably make a CC call. As for businesses, security companies in game offer panic alarms. If you don’t have that extra layer of security then that’s on the owner. 

• Upvote 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic