If you could try another style of role-play, what would it be?

nardo

On 6/27/2021 at 11:26 AM, books said:

I've always wanted to write a character who is a doctor of some sort but I lack the mountains of OOC knowledge required to do it.  A conservative radio/TV host is another concept I'd like to do but I have no idea how to get it off of the ground and I dislike the OOC toxicity that comes with that sort of character when people start thinking that it's not just IC. Also a deeply religious Christian social worker, church community member or some sort of religious person who has an involvement with the community.

I have so many ideas, but I have a hard time actually turning an idea into something I can portray in game. 

As someone who roleplays a Doctor in game (ED Physician), OOC knowledge does unfortunately play a role in it. However, it isn't everything. I'd argue a bigger part of being a quality Doctor of any kind is being able to roleplay the more personal aspects of the character, how they speak, and behave, and what effect being in their field, whatever it is, has had on them. 

If you ever have any questions about portraying a Medical Doctor (MD/DO), feel free to reach out to me and ask me questions.

• Thanks 1

I really want to try illegal roleplay. In my seven years of GTA roleplay, I've never played an illegal character for more than two weeks. I think it could broaden my horizons quite a bit and allow me to sympathize more with illegal roleplayers, as I currently think they often complain about things I don't consider worthy of complaint, and I think walking a bit in their shoes might make me more agreeable to their positions.

• Upvote 1
On 6/27/2021 at 3:31 PM, Oaks. said:

I'd really want to try civilian legal PF wielding RP personally, and thats not me being a troll, would love to understand the mindset behind it.

So there's a massive difference between some of these NRA loving 1911 wielding dope heads and people who daily carry with a better mindset. If you're actually interested in pursuing something like that or just curious, shoot me a message.

On 6/27/2021 at 2:04 PM, Engelbert said:

I was honestly never attracted to criminal roleplay much. Especially not since every faction reserves the right to CK your character.

That just screams "We will find a reason either way, if we don't like you." to me. 

I'm just spit balling but I've always assumed this to be the equivalent of being fired / dismissed from a legal faction. If you screw up badly enough in, say, a law enforcement faction, for example, you can be fired. Illegal factions don't have the same luxury, as the group can stop associating with said player, but what if they live in the neighborhood?. 

On topic, however, I've been involved with legal roleplay since I joined my first SA-MP RP server in 2007, and have just had the guts to start roleplaying around an illegal faction and so far it's been a blast. I wish I had tried sooner, but as many others noted, I was concerned I wouldn't be very good at it. I'd encourage others who have an interest but are uncertain of their abilities to try it out.

• Upvote 1

Been on the illegal side ever since I started roleplaying and I feel like I burn out so I'd like to try out something on the legal side sometime. I really like the idea and the thread of the Park Rangers RP but for now I don't have enough time so I gotta continue as a civilian.

On 6/29/2021 at 7:02 AM, TheSenate said:

As someone who roleplays a Doctor in game (ED Physician), OOC knowledge does unfortunately play a role in it. However, it isn't everything. I'd argue a bigger part of being a quality Doctor of any kind is being able to roleplay the more personal aspects of the character, how they speak, and behave, and what effect being in their field, whatever it is, has had on them. 

If you ever have any questions about portraying a Medical Doctor (MD/DO), feel free to reach out to me and ask me questions.

Seconding this! While an underlying knowledge of the medical world is helpful, I think when you consider the bigger picture and account for the fact that the majority of those on the receiving end of medical role-play don't want to see all the jargon, simplifying it down is perfectly fine. I myself much prefer to engage with simpler medical role-play as opposed to watching someone flex their knowledge of drug formulations and the intricacies of endotracheal intubation...

Personally, I would really like to get involved in some organised crime illegal role-play once again. I really enjoyed being part of numerous close-knit organised crime groups on other servers and it's something I may dabble in again soon.

Edited by Joe
  • Wuhtah locked this topic