[TVR] Old Time Goths Stomp Downtown, The Weasels Panic

Header2.jpg

Old Time Goths Stomp Downtown, The Weasels Panic

By Raoul DeSavio

I’ve spent the last few nights hiding in a secure refuge from the city’s worst. Trying to both survive and to dig into the minds of two important people behind the Goth scene in Los Santos. They are Evanglyn Blackwood and Lin. Both are characters in their own right and I had little issue or complaint sitting across from them and asking these questions. The conversations I’ve had with these two have been sublime. What makes them who they are will be explored in another time, for now we dig into their thoughts on the subculture and how it’s carved an existence into the city.

gta-world-camera-2021-6-23-17-20-38.png

Raoul(R): What would you say is the most important aspect of your subculture here in the city?

Evangyln Blackwood(EB): What is that even meant to mean?

Lin(L): Like...

R: What appeals to you being goth?

L: What makes it better than other- yeah. Gonna be honest? Like. Getting left alone. People uh… They’re kinda just- put off. Uncomfortable. The music’s a good plus.

R: I think most people see Goth and think, yanno, occult lifestyles. What would you say about that… Stereotype?

L: Lotta overlap, nothing like… Definite? Like… mm. Most chicks I know who believe in ghost’ll show up in black lipstick, but no’ all chicks in black lipstick do ghosts. Trucks are cars, cars aren’t trucks sorta deal?

R: Would you say that music is important to the image?

L: Yeah- yeah. Very. Well. I think so at least. Lotta people really just like not having to pick any matching colors.

EB: Music important to the image, yes. Very. Mmm… I can't imagine the goth scene without the music. It drove it forward, by the ah- Goth music is to the goth scene as punk music is to the punk scene.

L: ...Yeah. Without music's just kinda... A bunch of pale people in leather. And they call that something else.

R: Give me some musical recommendations.

EB & L: Sister’s of Mercy is the original. Good place to start.

L: The Cure’s a good classic. Siouxsie and the Banshees… Those’re like. Classic.

EB: Okay, so yes. Then there’s also the industrial side. KMFDM. Die Krupps… Skinny Puppy and Nine Inch Nails. And Modern stuff? She Past Away, Boy Harsher, Drab Majesty, Lebanon Hanover.Perturbator’s new album. Author’s Note: At some point a remix of the Luigi’s Mansion Theme song started playing on the radio.

R: Fuckin' adore Robert Smith... Do you have any advice for those who might be reading this later. Those who feel lacking or lost.

L: Thats's kinda a big one.

EB: I'm not a goddamned guru philosopher. I can’t fix other people’s problems. Find community. Stop being a stranger.

L: Yeah. Don't be alone, like- no matter how... weird. Just. Find people.

EB: Yes, that. I don't know.

L: ...Man, I'm barely keeping my own head on straight.

R: Well to get personal, I’ve appreciated the kindness you’ve shown me. Last question: A lot of men in the city have an objective fascination with the women in the culture. Do you consider this empowering?

L: ...Kinda, yeah.

EB: Yes. Come to Mission Row, spend your money on us and be scowled at and given icy looks. Convince yourself it was worth it.

L: Like, lil’ objectifying at times, but like. Hearing a dude just yell to his bros, “Fucking love goth chicks, on God.” She begins grinning wide. “When- Yes. I was an absolute bitch. ‘S got some charm.”

EB: It does. Maybe. I've gotten this far.

Author’s Note: At this moment we paused to allow nearby gunfire to die down before picking back up.

R: Anyway! More questions.

L: ...More questions.

R: Sorry, I'm a glutton for it all. Either way, ahh, easy enough... What's been the biggest hurdle for you all here?

EB: The crime rate, I didn't even need to hesitate for that one. This city's a hellscape.

L: Wasn't even manageable in Burton.

EB: When it gets to the point you have an incident every single opening, there is something wrong with your management or the city. And I know it's not management. Crimerate’s easily the worst thing though, yeah.

L: Easily. Couldn’t even keep it low in Burton. Can’t even walk down the street.

R: So your club gets harassed a lot on this level?

EB: We have good security. Shit happens occasionally. But It's handled. Mostly brawls outside, drunks, or shootings in the parking lot between one group of fuckwits and another. Gangbangers attribute to most of our incidents.

R: So the usual, annoying bullshit?

EB: Yeah. Pretty much. Think of it as the kind of shit that happens to most clubs, but amplify it by five times as much and that’s Los Santos clubs.

R: Mhm. I’ve been trying to compartmentalize it as some kinda’ island madness.

L: Isolationism? Huh. Could be.

R: Would you like to kick a hornet’s nest and make a statement for all the animals out there? If not, moving along… Any plans for expansion?

EB: I don’t kick hornet’s nests. Fuck around and find out. As for expansion? Why? I don’t need to. I’m downscaling.

L: ‘s uh… carefully handled club. Not really the kinda thing that’d expand well.

R: I appreciate that answer. Here’s a dramatic follow up my boss would be proud of: planning on selling anything?

EB: Selling anything… Rogue Vogue in Burton.

L: Yeah. Historically a gay bar. Central city, busy corner.

EB: Want it to go back to someone with the balls to run an LGBTQ Bar.

L: Yeah it’s uh- seriously. Lotta people’ve tried to run one in the city. ‘S an undertaking. All the normal club bullshit, amplified twenty times.

EB: Yes. Once it’s out of my hands it’s not my problem anymore though.

L: Yeah. Just wanna find someone that can handle it while it /is/ in our hands.

R: Mhm. I imagine the bigots and weasels swarm jus’ to get their rocks off being antagonistic.

L: Yep. EB: Yep. Pretty much. L: Like I said the last time. Armani suits. Author’s Note: Referencing a previous conversation. Quality of suit clearly doesn’t equal quality of character. 

R: What would bring you peace of mind?

EB: I don’t think that’s attainable on this island, but if I’m being frank with you. The national guard patrolling the streets.

R: Are you going to throw on an old fascist officer’s uniform and stomp around with a crop tucked under your arm while they march?

EB: I’ll happily live under martial law if it means I’m less likely to be stuck up outside one of my businesses at seven in the morning. Or… Random gunfights in Legion Square.

L: I’ve been shot once. Like. They weren’t even shooting at me? Just like. They missed. ‘S hard to avoid.

EB: Peace of mind… Even with private security, it isn't really.

R: Yeah. Sorry. The sarcasm’s my naivety. I can at least recognize why you’d feel confident enough saying such radical things.

EB: Why do you think I’m always here in this nuclear bunker of an office building!? I can’t be outside without dying.

R: You know the Governor is comin’ down? Excited to tour the city’s newest enforcement equipment and facilities.

EB: Ah. He’ll need at least a motorcade.

R: Think that’s where all my stress is pouring from… Numbing to hear about the publicity tour and an hour later have you compare the city’s crime to a third world country.

EB: It’s worse than a third world country. I find bodies on the side of the road and it’s not even a shock anymore. I call them in and keep driving. But whatever. Nowhere can be perfect.

R: Would you guys ever leave the city though?

EB: Uh. I have too many assets here.

L: Man. Dunno where I’d even live otherwise. Grew up here.

R: You can say friends. I won’t add it to the paper.

EB: I didn’t stutter.

R: I’ll replace assets with friends just to spite you then.

EB: Friends. I have a few good friends.

R: I would hope so. I couldn’t imagine being where you were without someone. And now for one last horrible, gossip question. One I’m already more of a fan of the answer: Is there anyone out there who has outwitted you, Eva?

EB: Uh. Yes. Probably.

L: ...Nobody that’d be good to put in the paper.

EB: Yeah exactly.

I had an epiphany at some point where I realized these questions were almost more for me than any magazine. I’m still a stranger in a strange land. A pilgrim told me that the west is the best, but I'm quickly learning that is hardly the case and pilgrims are lying bastards… These days if it isn’t wearing tie-dye or black lipstick you can’t trust the culture it comes from.

Signing Off, Raoul DeSalvo

gta-world-camera-2021-6-23-17-16-18.png

gta-world-camera-2021-6-23-17-9-14.png

gta-world-camera-2021-6-23-17-30-12.png

gta-world-camera-2021-6-23-17-32-26.png

gta-world-camera-2021-6-23-17-14-32.png

gta-world-camera-2021-6-23-17-42-25.png

gta-world-camera-2021-6-23-17-47-39.png

> Comments are disabled

Edited by Lurleen
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Memozzy said:

Username: HeartOfAsh

Comment: Bunch of posers. Disgusting and hilarious at the same time. Practice what you preach, death, and go die. 

Username: Countess

Comment: Hello. Interviewee here. I can assure you I'm not only not a poser, I'm also old enough to be your mother and was running a goth club when you were a zygote. The editor of this article made a mistake in including photos from a shoot with their own models instead of the people they were interviewing. Detach the photographs from the interview. We weren't particularly thrilled about them either, it took a third party to suggest that they take pictures of us instead, which didn't end up happening. Perhaps reserve your judgement until you've been given the full picture. Or, you can gladly fuck off and not come to my club and continue to gatekeep against someone who's been part of the movement longer than you have been alive. Up to you. Hugs and kisses.

• Applaud 1
8 minutes ago, ChromaticDeath said:

Comment: Hello. Interviewee here. I can assure you I'm not only not a poser, I'm also old enough to be your mother and was running a goth club when you were a zygote. The editor of this article made a mistake in including photos from a shoot with their own models instead of the people they were interviewing. Detach the photographs from the interview. We weren't particularly thrilled about them either, it took a third party to suggest that they take pictures of us instead, which didn't end up happening. Perhaps reserve your judgement until you've been given the full picture. Or, you can gladly fuck off and not come to my club and continue to gatekeep against someone who's been part of the movement longer than you have been alive. Up to you. Hugs and kisses.

Username: Nina

Comment: Well, it's a good way to illustrate articles and give employement to young men and women.

40 minutes ago, Lurleen said:

Comment: Well, it's a good way to illustrate articles and give employement to young men and women.

Comment: So is doing the photoshoot with people actually in the scene, providing them with recognition while remaining relevant to the article... but what do I know? The interview was fun either way. Raoul is a great writer.

Username: SantaMuerte664

Comment: I think people like to cite various studies about self-harm and suicide, but they always fail to notice, that most of people associated with goth subculture and being part of said studies, explicitely stated, that suicide attempts and self-harm were commited BEFORE they joined the subculture. Besides I am not really sure IF people can talk about self-harm in such way, self-harm can mean anything, from self-piercing and tattooing to sexual practices. Besides goth subculture is filled with many wondrous things. Everyone looks lovely on those pictures. Just.....sheeesh, where are tattoos and piercings, stop by and we can solve this predicament. Ye know where to find me. 🙂 Edit: I do not consider myself as goth as others, but I am somewhere between cyberpunk and Lovecraftian horror madness.

Edited by Engelbert
1 hour ago, Memozzy said:

Username: HeartOfAsh

Comment: Bunch of posers. Disgusting and hilarious at the same time. Practice what you preach, death, and go die. 

Username: qos03

Comment: u still in high school? dont think ive seen anyone get called a poser since like 2008, not to mention telling people to go die. i think u need a juice box and a good nap to rethink ur life, best wishes xoxo

• Applaud 1
26 minutes ago, ChromaticDeath said:

Comment: So is doing the photoshoot with people actually in the scene, providing them with recognition while remaining relevant to the article... but what do I know? The interview was fun either way. Raoul is a great writer.

Comment: They were offered to participate in the photo shooting. It'd have been more authentic to be honest, but sometimes people with no modeling experience don't want to partipate in such things.

57 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Username: SantaMuerte664

Comment: sheeesh, where are tattoos and piercings, stop by and we can solve this predicament.

Comment: They're only models. None of the people in these photos are involved in the culture whatsoever, so don't expect new customers in them!

44 minutes ago, Lurleen said:

Comment: They were offered to participate in the photo shooting. It'd have been more authentic to be honest, but sometimes people with no modeling experience don't want to partipate in such things.

By "they" you mean "me", and I have prior modeling experience- I just didn't feel comfortable shooting in an actual graveyard and disrespecting the people resting there in lieu of a studio green screen, which is what I assumed would happen.